That annoying blue LED

Posted by: doug316

That annoying blue LED - 30/09/1999 11:26

Ok, maybe some of you want it, but when my empeg is powered down I'd rather not have that blue led slowly flashing, lighting up my bedroom at night. At least provide a configuration setting to turn it on or off.

Posted by: dmoore

Re: That annoying blue LED - 02/10/1999 12:12

I have to give you the big nod on that one - I would like the ability to turn it off also.

Posted by: Henno

Re: That annoying blue LED - 02/10/1999 15:25

I fully concur. The blinking light doesn't add anything. Has anyone tried cutting one of the leads of the Led yet??

(Question to Altman): Can you turn it off in software???
Henno

Posted by: jfranke

Re: That annoying blue LED - 02/10/1999 17:11

Or use it for something useful. Like, a HDD LED. It's on the display i know but anyways. Or a diagnostic LED or a temperature warning or flush toilet indicator. But, i have to admit, i actually wanted to see what a white LED (It's white not blue) looks like. Now i know - it's really white and bright :-)

Posted by: altman

Re: That annoying blue LED - 03/10/1999 05:42

It is possible to turn it off in software, we've just not got round to it yet. It'll come :)

Hugo

Posted by: digimark

Re: That annoying blue LED - 26/11/1999 08:49

I just assume that the LED is the empeg breathing. -Gary

Posted by: stuartm555

Re: That annoying blue LED - 30/08/2002 05:22

Has this been implemented anywhere yet, either in one of the new kernels or hijack? Surely there must be more people who find it really annoying - either that or i've just got really thick curtains - my whole room flashes blue all night. I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to do (at least compared to sum of the stuff that hijack can do).
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: That annoying blue LED - 30/08/2002 05:58

Actually, that is one of the more recent hijack features...

Edit: I don't see it in the hijack FAQ, but there was an entry in the history list (around v261) for a "standbyLED_on" value in config.ini.
Posted by: mlord

Re: That annoying blue LED - 30/08/2002 06:54

Been there, done that:
[hijack]

standbyLED_on=0
Posted by: Miltoid

Re: That annoying blue LED - 15/11/2002 18:53

Mark,
In case no one's said it lately:
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: That annoying blue LED - 16/11/2002 09:55

Is that 0 in the config line a simply off on setting, or is a setting that controls how often the LED blinks?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: That annoying blue LED - 16/11/2002 10:09

that would be a boolean -- false or off.
"1" would be on.
Posted by: oliver

Re: That annoying blue LED - 16/11/2002 12:43

Here is how i have my led setup to blink.
[hijack]
standbyLED_on=7
standbyLED_off=500

This will blink once every 5 seconds.

And here is marks post detailing Hijack v256: that blinkin' LED
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: That annoying blue LED - 16/11/2002 13:09

IIRC, Mark made some changes to how the settings work in later versions - look through the rest of the thread that the post oliver linked above lives in.

/Michael
Posted by: mlord

Re: That annoying blue LED - 20/11/2002 06:52

The biggest change was to default the LED to "standard blinkin mode" instead of "off". The other change was to allow the =0 to turn it off completely.

cheers
Posted by: Scorp1us

Re: That annoying blue LED - 26/02/2003 14:33

This is a Good Thing(tm) because would-be theives can't see the tell-tale sign of the empeg.
Posted by: Caps

Re: That annoying blue LED - 10/03/2003 04:47

Maybe you should just put some electrical tape over it.
Hacking the software should work, but that is overkill.

It is like when NASA created the space pen to write upside down and in 0-g for $1 million dollars. The Russians used a .15 cent pencil.

I actually like the light though. I wait for it to stop blinking before I pull it out of my car.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: That annoying blue LED - 10/03/2003 06:29

I'm not really sure that editing the software is the same as spending millions on a pen, but interestingly enough the space pen story is a legend.
Posted by: Caps

Re: That annoying blue LED - 13/03/2003 21:43

The concept is correct though. They are attempting to do something hard, when an easy solution exists. The results should be the same as well.

I'm disappointed that story isn't true. It just sounds like something our government in the US would do.