Player keeps going into Stand-by

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Player keeps going into Stand-by - 29/07/2002 12:27

While on vacation, I used my player on AC power more than I ever have. I noticed that sometimes it would just kick into stand-by for no reason. Now that I'm home, it's still doing it (not in the car) even w. the new beta13 and hijack...

Any ideas? Since the rooms have been changing and it can happen at all times of the day, I'm ruling out the sun or other devices..
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 29/07/2002 12:38

Greetings!

I am actually noticing the opposite. Since installing b13, hijack 286 and the button hack, I am watching the unit come out of standby and begin playing. This is new, specifically with the button hack and dimmer fix capacitor installation.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 30/07/2002 01:50

Mine pops out of standby by it's self which is very noticable.

I have hijack and no button hack
Posted by: CurlyKicker

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 30/07/2002 02:39

I've been experiencing a slightly different bug. At seemingly random times, when I turn the ignition on in my car, the player will either boot up and start normally OR boot up and then immediately go into stand-by. I then of course have to press the top left-hand button to initialize playing.

This bug was in b11 Hijack 265 and is still there in b13 Hijack 284.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 30/07/2002 09:16

At seemingly random times, when I turn the ignition on in my car, the player will either boot up and start normally OR boot up and then immediately go into stand-by.

It's supposed to do that.

If you had put it into standby mode before you pulled the power, then it will boot into standby mode.

If you had pulled the power when it was playing, then it will resume playing when you boot it.
Posted by: CurlyKicker

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 31/07/2002 00:20

I guess I wasn't clear. I never put it into standby mode before I pull the power. I always have it playing when I pull the power. It does resume playing when I boot it occasionally but some times it just boots into standby.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/10/2002 19:17

I'm still getting this... where the player will stop in the middle of a song and go to the blinking LED... am I the only one?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 07/10/2002 07:12

Greetings!

I get this, but extremely rarely. Maybe once every few months, and I usually attribute it to unusually high power consumption (air conditioning, lights, etc.).

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 08/10/2002 09:24

This started happening in the car today! IT was happening every few seconds over and over... So, I turned off the screen blanker and it went away..

I'm getting the same problem of slow resumes and battery icon when in the car.

Tony, weren't you gettting a similar problem? Did it just go away?
Posted by: oliver

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 08/10/2002 09:31

A buddy of mine in his audi would have his empeg switch to the blinking led about every couple of minutes. He had to rip his dash apart to find a mess of power wires taped together crappy. Now the empeg stays on perfectly

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 08/10/2002 09:42

I'm getting the same problem of slow resumes and battery icon when in the car.
Tony, weren't you gettting a similar problem? Did it just go away?

I don't have a problem of slow resumes. I also don't activate the screen blanker, and my player doesn't mysteriously drop in and out of standby.

I do have the following charging system problems, though:

- When I start the engine with the player playing, the player either blanks and battery-icons, or it fully reboots. I figure this is normal.

- If I am running the player purely on battery power (engine is off), and a particularly bass-heavy song comes on with my volume loud, the increased drain the subwoofer puts on my poor little Honda battery will make the player blank and battery-icon. I could theoretically solve this problem by installing a big capacitor. Haven't done that yet, NWMT.

- If I run the player with my engine off, there is noticeable ground-loop noise in the system. I think this is due to the low voltage. As soon as I start the engine, all ground-loop noise disappears. Again, NWMT to fix since I rarely want to listen with the engine off.
Posted by: acurasquirrel_

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 08/10/2002 15:03

I know if the empeg receives any IR signal it will come out of stand-by which is annoying because I dont like being at my girlfriends house and start complaining about someones stereo only to come to find out its mine.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 08/10/2002 15:13

I know if the empeg receives any IR signal it will come out of stand-by

I do not have that experience with my players. My Mk1 in my stereo cabinet stays in standby all the time and responds only to the commands from its remote, not from all the other component remotes in my stereo system.

Although if someone uses a Kenwood remote near your window, I suppose that could happen. If you have a rio remote, try turning off the Kenwood remote in your player configuration. That might solve your problem.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 08/10/2002 16:40

Also make sure it isn't on because you went out to get something out of your car and turned the ignition on for a few seconds and then left. That'll make your player turn on and not notice that the power has gone away.
Posted by: Laura

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 08/10/2002 17:00

I always power off my player before I turn the ignition off and every once in a while when I turn the van back on the player will start playing instead of going into standby and start the playlist over from the last time it started. Doesn't happen often and the van can be off for hours when this happens and the standby light isn't blinking when it does.

Kind of weird behavior. Has happened maybe 7 or 8 times and I think it's been since I upgraded, I don't remember this happening under version b11. I have hijack but no other hacks on it.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 08/10/2002 20:42

every once in a while when I turn the van back on the player will start playing instead of going into standby and start the playlist over from the last time it started.

This is a known idiosyncrasy of the player, and it happens when, for whatever reason, the player's current state doesn't get saved on power-off. So when that happens, it reverts to the last saved state.

It doesn't happen very often, but I think it happens once in a while to just about everyone. In my case, I'd guess maybe once every 200 times I turn it off.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: Laura

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 09/10/2002 03:31

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 10/10/2002 06:55

I had an issue for a while with tracks only playing the first few seconds then skipping to next track or powering off. Eventually I sussed out it only did in when my wife and son were in the car as well - turns out she used to pass him the remote surreptitiously and if he didn't like a particular tune he would press a button at random.

Posted by: loren

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 00:06

I'm bringing this thread back to the top for 2 reasons...

1. it looks like it never got answered
2. it just happened to me on the way home

I've NEVER seen this happen before. I slid the empeg in, it started playing normally. about two minutes later, it randomly switched itself to the Tuner. Strange... but i thought i might have hit the steering wheel remote on accident. Two minutes later it does it again, but this time it goes to AM instead of FM. Stranger. THEN... it just started going into standby at random times for not good reason whatsoever. After a few minutes of playing fine, it would just go into standy and blink at me. A few of the times when i pressed the top button on the face, it would come back with the battery icon in the upper left.... but not every time.

I've got all the latest software, hijack included, and the PCA Tuner. Any ideas?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 05:15

I stopped using the screen blanker and the problem went away... related?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 09:26

Nope, never used the screen blanker even once. I'll check it's settings and make sure it didn't get magically turned on though...

I'm off to work. We'll see if it's still happening.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 11:13

Okay, so it still happened. Chain of events:

-put empeg in... 30 seconds later it's in standby.
-check hijack screen blanker settings... nope, all off
-reseat it... a few seconds later it's back in standby
-press the top button, plays for a few minutes... standby
-remove steering wheel remote to rule that out, but it goes back into standby
-i tried to get to the emphatic menu, but it jumped to FM before i could get there
-reseat and try again to get to emphatic through hijack menu. Get there, then press the knob to bring the menu up so i could quit it... but it freaks out and the screen goes blank... then into standby.
-reseat again, get to emphatic, quit it, then the player works for a good 10 minutes.
-thinking that fixed it i reseated it again to test if i would have to turn emphatic off again to get it to stop this annoying behavior....

but it never went in standby again after i quit emphatic that one time. Even after rebooting it multiple times and having emphatic load.

I'm running it in the dock here at work to see if it comes back... but it appears to have stopped. Anyone have any theories on this one? I'd like to know wtf was going on.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 11:30

Just for the heck of it, Loren... remove all of the EXEC commands that are running third party programs on the player and see if the problem goes away. Just as a test.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 11:40

i would... except it's already gone. I can't reproduce it after i quit emphatic that one time.

if it happens again, that was my next plan of action though....
Posted by: mlord

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 15:55

Hijack Countdown Timer is active?
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 15:59

I slid the empeg in, it started playing normally. about two minutes later, it randomly switched itself to the Tuner. Strange...

I once had this exact same thing happen to me.

Turned out I had placed my remote on the passenger seat, and then placed a notebook on top of the remote. Every time I hit a bump the weight of the notebook would press a random button.

This was with a Kenwood RCA-600 remote, with buttons that are more prominent and more easily activated than the standard Rio or Kenwood remotes.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: eliceo

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 16:12

I had that problem of the player going into standby in AC mode for no reason. I too have the screen blanker function on, I think ill try and turn it off and see if it will go away.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 18:19

welp... all of those theories didn't hold true. No Countdown Timer, no remote anywhere, no screen blanker. It just magically stopped happening after i managed to get to emphatic and quit it that one time. I did nothing else as i was very sure to be methodical when taking the steps to figure it out.

Strange eh?? Now i'm sorta hoping it'll happen again just so i can figure this out. I HATE when computers just do seemingly random things.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 18:50

Greetings!

If it makes you feel any better, I have this problem every now and then. Not often, but it does happen. I have not found a cause as yet, but it is so infrequent, I was not looking that hard for it. I had attibuted it to a frayed display board cable, but that no longer seems to be the case.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 19:44

I do have emphatic running maybe thats it, the player just did it about 30 minutes ago though.
Posted by: Yang

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 21:05

Are you still running emphatic?
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 21:31

I think the question of whether Paul is running emphatic is more relevant to figuring this out. Just so we're all clear, I have no idea how anything in emphatic could cause this. But it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 21:56

Aight, you can throw the emphatic theory out the window too.

Over my lunch break in the car it played fine, as well as most of the day on my desk. As soon as i put it in for the car ride home though... same thing. Standy standy standy... this time with more frequency... every few seconds. I finally got to the emphatic menu, turned it off, and was good for 5 minutes... but *blip*... out of nowhere it went back into standby and kept doing it. Every time i did get to turn emphatic off, it would go way longer, 5-10 minutes before going into standby again. But, it looks like emphatic wasn't it. I'm going to run some diagnostics right now, then remove emphatic from the config.ini and see if that does anything. I can't seem to reproduce it while on AC power though... it works fine.

brb...

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 22:04

k... RAM check and boot up messages are all normal. I removed emphatic from the config.ini... so i guess i'll have to wait til tomorrow morning to see if it has any effect.

do all of you that this happens to have a Tuner??

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 23:20

I still have that battery icon on everytime i start my player in the car. Even if the car has been running for hours. It only started happening w. a certain HiJack version and few other people noted the same thing. But everyone thinks I'm nuts so I've gotten used to it. Maybe the Subby doesn't put out much juice and that hijack version was the first to point it out.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 23:26

I dont have a tuner installed.
MK2A with emphatic, empacman, and emptris installed.
Hijack v320
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/03/2003 23:28

Have you tried the obvious and relfashed a standard kernel? It does seem like an odd problem, so perhaps it's a hardware problem. What do you mean by "every time you start your car"? Does it just come on for a seccond and then go away? It's fairly standard for the starter to trip the battery icon if it's booted to that point already.

Matthew

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 05/03/2003 05:19

Greetings!

Followup from the previous post:

I only run hijack with the illumination and volume adjust running. I do not have any third party software running while in the car (games, emphatic, etc.). I reserve a little extra memory for applications with the reservecache command. I do not have a tuner module connected - when I get source bouncing, it goes from mp3 to aux.

It is a very rare event for me, but it does not appear to be tied to the file playing at the time. I have also (again, very rarely) seen the player bounce OUT of standby when connected to AC at the desk.

I am guessing that the player was somehow receiving command signals either from serial or through the IR. That signal might have been from something in the background, a bad connection / ground, or just some kind of "jitter" on the lines. I was going to turn on the IR monitoring functions of hijack to test, but since it is so infrequent, never bothered.
Posted by: tms13

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 05/03/2003 05:20

In reply to:

What do you mean by "every time you start your car"?

He said every time he starts the player - even if the car has been running for ages. I see the same thing - even on AC power - more often than not. I get it nearly every time I bring it out of standby.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 05/03/2003 10:26

okay, it did it again on the way to work after uninstalling emptris.
this time however i only had to press the top button to bring it out of stanby 5 times before it decided to play the rest of the drive to work. I'm stumped and this is getting REALLY annoying.

Is it safe to say we can rule out a power issue since i'm not getting the battery icon? What are all the things that COULD make it go into standby. I've ruled out random IR, all the Hijack countown functions, and i think power issues. What else could it be? Ignition sense maybe?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 05/03/2003 10:30

Ignition sense maybe?
Hmmm. What happens (on an unaffected player) if you turn off the ignition, turn the player back on, turn the ignition back on, and turn the ignition off again? Does it stay awake that time or does it turn ``off''?

If it turns off, I can see that it might well be the ignition line. Do you have a multimeter to check it? But, I forget, didn't someone say they saw this on AC power, too?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 05/03/2003 10:38

Yeah, i have a multimeter i can check with. THe thing is this has never happened before just the other day... seemingly randomly and out of nowhere. I guess a wire might be giggling loose somewhere. I'll have to run that check later.

i've never seen this on AC power though... which sorta narrows it down to the car.

i'm gonna uninstall everything within' the next week or so anyhow... so i might not even bother ripping it all up to test it.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 00:08

I forgot to do the test Bitt suggested... but here's some new observations.

as soon as i put it in the car, it goes into standby in a matter of seconds. I press the top button to wake it, and back into standby again after a few seconds. Rinse and repeat 5 times or so... and it will work for a long time. The length of time is pretty random, anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. But, every time i reseat it... same thing... it goes into standby after a few seconds etc... This is reproduceable.

the other thing is that every once and a while it will go into Tuner mode before it goes into standby, then when i wake it up it's in AUX mode! WTF is that?! Makes me not think it's a power issue ... since i don't know of anyway that a power issue would affect which audio mode it's in.

Hugo/Rob/Patrick/Roger??? Any of you empeg boys have a clue on this one? It's driving me nuts!

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 00:14

You're sure the ignition-sense wire isn't getting random voltage fluctuations for some reason?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 06:38

Also, is there anyone else physically in your area, so you can try the player in their dock / their player in your dock?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 09:22

You're sure the ignition-sense wire isn't getting random voltage fluctuations for some reason?

Not sure... as i said before i'm not gonna rip the dash open yet since i'm taking it all out soon anyhow. But the fact that it switches to Tuner/Aux sometimes during the whole mess makes me think it's not ignition sense related... unless someone can say how that would cause the switch to happen.

so you can try the player in their dock / their player in your dock?

why didn't i think of it before... duh. I'm going to bring along my spare empeg to work today and see if it exhibits the same thing. The everyday empeg is a MkII and the spare a MkIIa..... that shouldn't matter though.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 09:43

Greetings!

It shouldn't matter. If it is the sled / wiring, you should see the same behavior. Does your spare have the same software configuration on it, or is it stock?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 10:24

okedokee... as was predicted... same behavior with the backup empeg. A little different, but we'll chalk it up to randomness.

SO... i guess i'll have to do some dashboard rippin' to figure this one out. the whole "switch to AUX or Tuner" thing is what's confusing the hell out of me.

Could it be something with Patrick's Tuner kit? And when i say that, i mean something I did to screw up Patricks Tuner kit?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 10:30

Greetings!

I wouldn't think it was the tuner kit. However, if the kit was a recent installation, perhaps one of the wires on the sled pulled out of the harness, is loose or otherwise causing problems. You might also want to check your serial cable.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 11:08

Could it be something with Patrick's Tuner kit? And when i say that, i mean something I did to screw up Patricks Tuner kit?
Hm. Did you say that you had a steering wheel remote? Is it one of the wired remotes, sony-style, plugged into the tuner module? If so, those things work on resistance. And random resistance values might do exactly what you're describing.

Question... Were you one of the folks who'd accidentally installed one of the tuner kit's components upside-down at first? If so, which component? Perhaps that did something to make the tuner kit get random fluctuations from the steering-wheel-remote electronics and is causing the behavior you're seeing.

For what it's worth, my player with the tuner kit exhibits none of the symptoms you're describing. But then again, my kit worked the first time.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 11:31

perhaps one of the wires on the sled pulled out of the harness, is loose or otherwise causing problems

that's what i'm thinking at the moment. It's either that or the tuner...

Is it one of the wired remotes, sony-style, plugged into the tuner module?

nope. it's a Pioneer IR one.

Were you one of the folks who'd accidentally installed one of the tuner kit's components upside-down at first?

nope.

But then again, my kit worked the first time.

mine did too... sorta. i was only seeing problems with reception due to a bad grounding on my part.

I guess the next logical step would be to remove the tuner from the equation. Then if it's still happening check the sled wiring etc...

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 11:36

nope. it's a Pioneer IR one.
Okay, well, diagnostic step still stands: Remove that, or take its battery out, and see if the same problem still happens. Maybe the thing is malfunctioning. That's an easy step since it doesn't involve tearing up the dash.
Posted by: tms13

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 12:42

That's a good question, Tony - I once had a (factory) tuner that exhibited symptoms of random stalk presses (even if the stalk was unplugged from the tuner module). The only cure was to unplug the tuner from the sled. I don't think we ever did find out what was wrong with that tuner. I've not heard of anyone else having the same problem, but I guess we can't rule it out.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 12:42

okay Tony... don't make me flog you with the RTFT stick... I mentioned twice that i removed the remote from the equation. =] Besides... the spare empeg doesn't have the button translations in it's config, so it wouldn't even see it.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 12:45

okay Tony... don't make me flog you with the RTFT stick... I mentioned twice that i removed the remote from the equation.
Sorry. Flog away.

That's a good question, Tony - I once had a (factory) tuner that exhibited symptoms of random stalk presses (even if the stalk was unplugged from the tuner module).
Hmm, sounds very similar, doesn't it? Would be interesting to get to the bottom of this one.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 13:03

Yeah... that would explain it. i'm guessin' once i remove the tuner, it'll go away. I guess i'll do it over lunch and see...
Posted by: rtundo

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 13:18

I had similar problems which was solved by one of two things. (It happened with an original tuner module)

1. Was using a tuner extension cable
2. I tapped power from the tuner extension cable for my cellphone handsfree kit.

When I got rid of the extension cable and tapped power somewhere else for the handsfree kit the problems went away. Did both at the same time so I don't know which was the cause. Anyway you might want to check your tuner to empeg connections to make sure they are correct.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 14:59

Oh...wait a moment.

Check you tuner's wiring connections. I saw something incredibly similar yesterday, but with the normal serial port. I was configuring a linux laptop to listen on the serial port (for kernel debug purposes) and when I toggled the Hardware Flow Control setting with the empeg connected, the empeg promptly went into shutdown mode, and also switched modes on me...I couldn't reproduce it at will though.

Since both the regular serial port's and the tuner connection's UARTs are built into the ARM processor, it is possible that they would have a common effect if something unexpected happened.

I'm not sure which of the standard RS232 lines the tuner port uses (aside from TxD/RxD)...but if one of them is badly or misconnected such that it is seeing a transient when it shouldn't then possibly this is the culprit.

The other thing that I should mention is that when I have my empeg connected to the laptop and connected to my workstations line-in at the same time, I can hear a ground loop. Annoying, but I can live with it for the occasions I need to debug serial output. But - it might be that the serial ground on the laptop is far enough from the empeg's logic ground to cause transient glitches that could possibly trigger such behaviour.

I wonder if somehow there is a groundloop from your antenna that could be having a similar effect.

A lot of 'ifs', I know. But it's too much of a coincidence for my liking.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 06/03/2003 15:58

1. Was using a tuner extension cable
2. I tapped power from the tuner extension cable for my cellphone handsfree kit.

not using the extension and not tapping the power....

)...but if one of them is badly or misconnected such that it is seeing a transient when it shouldn't then possibly this is the culprit.

hmmm... now you're talkin... that would make sense. I didn't get time to take the tuner how at lunch, but i'll have to check it. If it IS the tuner, which i'm betting, it could be a crappy connection somewhere... possibly even on the board connections, though i checked them all for shorts and good joints before... but i'll check it all again once i get it out. Could be something with the molex too. hm. Hahah... i bet if i just wiggle some wires around it'll go away. It didn't happen at all over lunch on my way to the skate park. =]
Posted by: Roger

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 07/03/2003 03:11

Not relevant, but this...

when I toggled the Hardware Flow Control setting with the empeg connected, the empeg promptly went into shutdown mode

...reminded me of something.

I was playing with the Windows Media SDK yesterday. One of MS' sample applications reproducibly rebooted my car player. If I disconnected the serial cable, all was well.

The sample application was supposed to be enumerating sound card devices, so I don't know what it was doing playing with my serial port...

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 10/03/2003 11:52

Argh! It's still happening. After replacing the car battery, i thought it had gone away but it started up again yesterday afternoon. Seems to not happen at all withOUT the PCA tuner module, but the fact that it did happen once the other day with NO tuner attached is confusing the hell out of me. But i am willin' to chalk that up to my dead battery.

Okay, lets assume for a sec it IS the PCA tuner module. What exactly would cause this behavior?? What malfunction or shoddy solder joint on my part would cause this to happen?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 10/03/2003 13:53

I know this is a stretch.. but reading Roger's post I was wondering if having the serial cable on the sled exposed could cause this?

If not.. are the contacts on your battery cable good? Can you test the alternator?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 10/03/2003 14:46

forgot to mention that this happens to me on ac power

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 17/03/2003 23:39

Alrighty folks... i've eliminated everything i can think of. I brought the tuner into my electronics class lab tonight and ran all sorts of power tests and checked for shorts everywhere. Even had my instructor look it over. Everything checks out.

So, it's definitely the tuner... OR a combination of the tuner and something wonky in my car. Could the extra current draw possibly cause something like this?? That's all i can think of.

My next step is to try it out in someone else's car i guess... but that's a tall order. I might just shelve it for a month until i get my WRX and worry about it then. ... yeah... that's what i'll do. THanks for all the ideas guys. I'll try again later.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 29/07/2003 15:52

just started noticing this error again once I upgraded to hijack v340 with 2.0 final software. Did this go away for anyone else?
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 25/02/2004 02:01

*bump*

Any resolution on this Loren? I did a roadtrip to Vegas on Sunday, and spent an inordinate amount of time pressing the top button, trying to get the player out of standby. Symptoms are exactly as you've described above, with random "button" presses. At one point, when the remote was in my lap, face up (nothing pressing on the buttons), the player was flipping between info modes at a rate of about two modes/second. I have the latest 2.x final, along with the stock player kernel (i.e. no Hijack). I also have pcats' tuner module installed. I uninstalled the tuner module during a gas stop, and the problem went away. Unfortunately, so did all the power to the player, which apparantly was somehow wired through the tuner. When I plugged the tuner back in, both the power (:)) and the problem (:() came back.

There are no problems when the player is in mlord's dock (which, if I understand correctly, mimics the car install, minus the tuner).

Next step for me is to try (a) wiggling/taping the stalk input (as suggested in this, or another thread), and (b) disconnecting the stalk input completely (which is not in use, anyway).

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 25/02/2004 09:48

I uninstalled the tuner module during a gas stop, and the problem went away. Unfortunately, so did all the power to the player, which apparantly was somehow wired through the tuner. When I plugged the tuner back in, both the power (:)) and the problem (:() came back.
I'll bet this is some kind of a ground loop going through the tuner. Your player is getting its ground through the antenna wire connected to the tuner instead of getting its ground from the ground wire on the sled.

The only way I can see that your player is getting random button presses is if there's noise on the serial and/or stalk inputs. I haven't scrolled back in the thread, but did you try disabling the stalk in the player configuration?

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 26/02/2004 03:07

I'll bet this is some kind of a ground loop going through the tuner. Your player is getting its ground through the antenna wire connected to the tuner instead of getting its ground from the ground wire on the sled.
Quite possible. All I know is that the installer did some funky wiring. I noticed a few wires were cut that I didn't think should be cut.

The only way I can see that your player is getting random button presses is if there's noise on the serial
oooh, I hadn't thought of that. I'll check to make sure that the dust cap is still on the serial connector.
and/or stalk inputs.
This was my first guess.
I haven't scrolled back in the thread, but did you try disabling the stalk in the player configuration?
No, I didn't think about that, as I thought it was a hijack feature, which I don't have installed. On top of that, as luck would have it, my Java installation is currently fubar, so I can't check it out in JEmplode.

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 26/02/2004 10:50

did you try disabling the stalk in the player configuration?
No, I didn't think about that, as I thought it was a hijack feature, which I don't have installed.
No, it's a standard player feature, visible in the "Configure Player" screen in emplode. It has three options: Righthand, Lefthand, and None. If you don't have access to emplode or Jemplode, you can edit the config.ini directly (via serial I suppose since you don't have hijack installed...).
Posted by: farmtech

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 14/03/2004 21:47

I have also had this problem from day 1 with my Empeg. I have had it in my car for 8 months now and about 75% of the time the Empeg will boot up and immediately go to standby when powered on. This happens when in player mode, when the Empeg is in Aux mode it comes on most every time. I don't think it has ever failed to come on when in Aux mode, just intermittent when in player mode. My wiring is fine, and the player has had flawless operation when running. I am at some point going to try putting diodes on the power wires for isolation. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
I am running V2.0 and Hijack V3.80

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 04/05/2004 01:53

*bump*
did you try disabling the stalk in the player configuration?
No, I didn't think about that, as I thought it was a hijack feature, which I don't have installed.
No, it's a standard player feature, visible in the "Configure Player" screen in emplode. It has three options: Righthand, Lefthand, and None.
So, I finally re-installed Hijack, and added the following to my config:

[controls]
stalk_side=none

To test it out, I took a three-plus hour drive up to the Kern River to go whitewater rafting. I didn't have any problems during that drive, but unfortunately, the next day while driving shuttle, I again started having the random dropping into standby. It was an intensely sunny day, so I tried to shield the IR a bit with my hand. It never dropped into standby while doing that. However, since I was driving down windy roads (i.e. I had to keep unshading to put my hand back on the wheel, not to mention watch the road), I wouldn't be able to conclusively say that it's "stray IR signals". Actually, now that I think a bit, it was happening on the drive home at night, too, so I'm ruling out the stray IR.

On the off chance that the capitalization of None matters, I've just corrected that. I'll report back again after a bit more testing.

If this still doesn't work, I think I have three options left:

0) Attempt to map all stalk input into innocuous button presses -- maybe previous/next visual.

1) Beg the Lord for a Hijack option to tell the player to ignore stalk input, whether in standby, or not. (I should be able to figure out the patch since most of this code already exists, but I don't know if my arm toolchain is currently operational for compiling/testing.)

2) Talk to pca to find out how to prevent the tuner module from sending stalk signals back to the empeg. I looked at the wiring harness details, but the tuner connecter wires were simply labelled "tuner, tuner, tuner, tuner", which, quite frankly, wasn't that helpful. (Wasn't there a thread/post about how to not wire stuff for the stalk, or was that just saying one could skip the stalk->tuner input connector?)

3) Uninstall the tuner.

I hate the thought of (3), and (2) would be a reasonable solution, if it's possible, but I'd rather not modify the tuner. My preferred solution, if this next test doesn't work, would be (1). Obviously, I'd rather not have random button presses occur, innocuous, or not, so I'd rather not go with (0).

Anyone see anything dumb in the above?

Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 04/05/2004 21:50

1) Beg the Lord for a Hijack option to tell the player to ignore stalk input, whether in standby, or not.

Hijack v385 (out shortly):

In config.ini:

[hijack]
stalk_enabled=0

Cheers

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 04/05/2004 23:15

Amen, and hallelujah!

I was just about to report that capitalization doesn't seem to matter. I'll load up 385, and let you know if it solves the problem.

Danke,

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 05/05/2004 22:51

Hmm... I didn't notice this last night when I loaded v385, but I'm getting a "hijack config error", now. My entire [hijack] section is as follows:

[hijack]
stalk_enabled=0

The player dropped into standby on my way home from work today.

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 06/05/2004 07:07

There's something wrong in the config.ini somewhere. Post the actual file for us to look at.

-ml

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 06/05/2004 10:47

[Options]
name=Sasquatch
[network]
Gateway=
Netmask=255.255.255.0
DHCP=0
IPAddress=192.168.1.2
[User Info]
name=Ammon Riley
phone=xxx.xxx.xxxx
[email protected]
[sense]
mute=-1
[power]
off_timeout=60000
[display]
caching=0
visual_names=1
[kenwood]
disabled=0
[ramp]
disabled=0
[volumecap]
enabled=1
[hush]
hushpercent=30
[hijack]
stalk_enabled=0
[wendy]
flag0=vulgarities
flag_amount=1
[custom]
wendy=Sanitized,1,0

( just in case my cut-n-paste screwed something up, I've attached the actual file.)

The only thing I see in there that might cause some problems is that the Gateway isn't filled in. I tried it without that line, as well, and I still get the error.

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 06/05/2004 11:09

Presumably you have Hijack v385 or newer installed? Double-check?

-ml

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 06/05/2004 11:12

I just now took the file you posted, stuck it onto my player, and rebooted.

No config errors.

So, check the serial logs for a more specific error message.

-ml

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 06/05/2004 11:13

Yep. v385, it is, as displayed on boot-up.

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 13/05/2004 00:48

Just gave it a whirl with v391, as well, and it's no longer giving me the error. I added a comment to the end of the line, but that's about it. Gnomes, I tell ya. Since it seems to be working, I'll test it out over the next few days, and let you know if this does the trick.

Re: Hijack v385: stalk_enabled=0 - 02/06/2004 22:28

I've had the option enabled for three weeks now, and not a single blip. I'm going to consider this problem solved. Thanks for all the fish.
Posted by: amerryman

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 21/06/2004 17:38

<font color="orange">I'm still getting this... where the player will stop in the middle of a song and go to the blinking LED... am I the only one? </font>

This is the exact same problem I am having! Are there any solutions yet?
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 21/06/2004 19:56

html doesnt work on these forums
in a 'Reply' window there will be a UBBCode in your posts link that explains valid tags
(note, my link is clickable)

Re: Player keeps going into Stand-by - 22/06/2004 06:32

This is the exact same problem I am having! Are there any solutions yet?
Yes, just read the posts immediately above yours in "Flat" mode.

-ml