Problem with stock infrared remote

Posted by: ltd

Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 04:36

I've had my empeg for maybe 2 months and ever since I got it I have had major problems with the remote - sometimes it just stops working... I've checked the battery with my tongue and there is plenty of charge in it...
Posted by: F0X

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 04:57

I dont know if this can be stressed enough, but change the battery. Several different methods have been devised to test the current batteries, and although it appears the batteries should be good, in most cases, replacing the batteries solves the problem. I too had a remote die after a couple months. New battery fixed it completely.

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 05:20

Like I said though, it hasn't just stopped working, it just doesn't work for a few minutes and after I set it down for a while it starts working again. It has also been this way since I got it.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 05:39

Right. Replace the battery. Seriously.

Edit: BTW, Tony, if you're reading this, it might make sense to point out in the FAQ that the battery is a CR2025, just in case it helps someone sometime.

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 06:04

Okay I'm going to the servo now to try and find a new one.

Will report.

----

They didn't have any. I just put a multimeter to the battery and it's showing a steady 2.7V which should be more than enough to drive the remote properly.
Posted by: F0X

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 07:14

You cant reliably test a battery by using a multimeter. That puts no load on the battery. Also, even at 2.7V the battery is considerably drained. Also, the symptom of it working for a few minutes and then dying really does point towards a battery. Search as many threads about batteries as you like, and you will see that time and time again, it is the battery.
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 08:05

Yes please take everyones advice and replace the battery, at 2.7 volt when you press a button on the remote and light up that current sucking ir led it probably drops to 1v, and it takes around 2.5-2.6 just to light the led.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 09:28

Ltd, please read the FAQ entry "My Remote Control Quit Working" by clicking here.

Thanks, Bitt, for the suggestion that I give the battery number.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 22:18

I had the exact same problem right out of the box.... It was the battery. Short of destroying the casing I'm not sure you can break the remote. Mines been through the washing machine twice.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 22:34

I've heard of compulsive hand-washing, but this sounds like something new to me.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 01/08/2002 22:49

heh... The perils of having someone else do the wash.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 02/08/2002 02:47

Be thankfull the empeg ain't pocket sized

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 05/08/2002 04:01

I went to dick smith and got a replacement battery, all seems well so far... the range seems much better and the battery has a bit more bite when I put it on my tongue so now just a little wood touching.
Posted by: tman

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 05/08/2002 04:34

I hope you check that the battery hasn't leaked before doing the tongue test! Can't be good for you if it has

- Trevor
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 05/08/2002 09:49

Ideally you should avoid handling the battery as much as you can because any sweat (or saliva?) residue will cause a miniscule current drain that may shorten the life of the battery even when not in use.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 05/08/2002 11:29

Pain

Natures multimeter

Measures temperature and voltage

Multiranging hmm, ouch, ahhhhh, oh **** and death.
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: Problem with stock infrared remote - 05/08/2002 15:11

Just dont do it if you have braces, one of my friends did that and hit his braces with a 9v and um... well.... his mouth started smoking.