Sticking Buttons - Request for Information

Posted by: rob

Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 03:40

Let's get some perspective on this issue. In this thread I would appreciate if as many of you as possible would post to state one of the following:

1) That you have never experienced the sticking buttons bug (e.g. runaway volume, menu scrolling etc).

2) That you experienced the bug prior to Beta10 but not since then.

3) That you have experienced the bug with Beta10 or Beta10A. How frequently? On which button(s)?

Please don't turn this thread into a discussion, I simply want to collect some facts to discover to what extent the problem still exists. If any discussion is required, I'll reply elsewhere.

Thanks!

Rob

Posted by: schofiel

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 05:18

Never experienced this problem (all releases since B5)

Posted by: AndyGuy

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 05:23

Never had this problem (or any other)

Posted by: andy

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 06:03

Once, on the up button, on beta10a

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 08:15

I have had my empeg since last August and have never experienced this (touch wood)

Geoff
---- -------
Saving hard for a Mark 2...
Posted by: Henno

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 08:49

Rob,
I've not experienced the sticking buttons bug yet.
Use the remote almost all the time

Henno
# 00120 (6GB+18)
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 09:03

Prior to beta 10, deliberately trying to reproduce the bug, I've made it happen several times.

After beta 10, I've had it happen once, and I was not trying to reproduce it- it just happened.

Rob- I know you don't want this to be a discussion, but may I suggest collecting two more data points:

- Unit serial number, in case it's due to a certain batch.
- Whether or not the user tends to use the faceplate buttons frequently, or whether they tend to use the remote control for the most part.

My answers to those are: #144, and rare faceplate-button usage.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144
Posted by: kim

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 09:42

One of my front panel buttons (right button if I recall right) didn't usually release after press but I fixed that by untightening one of the display screws a bit. But this was more like a hardware issue than a software - so I've never experienced the sticking buttons bug (like that the software would have missed one key-release notification).

Serial #363, using faceplate buttons more frequently than the remote.

Kim

Posted by: scoco

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 09:52

Never had any problems.

Posted by: phaigh

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 12:14

Rob,

I have experienced the bug in Beta10 and previous versions. I have yet to try Beta 10a. (Loading Tonight).

It happens pretty frequently (twice in the last three long trips in the empeg). It always happens on the Volume buttons on the front of the empeg unit.

I thought that it was always 'Volume Up' but I've now had it happen on 'Volume Down' as well.

It has probably happened half a dozen times in total.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254
Posted by: Liufeng

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 14:27

I've experienced this bug some. I could never deliberately reproduce even though I tried for about an hour one night. I mostly use the remote but I've noticed that it happened more when I just wanted a small volume adjustment and I pushed the button in and let go very quickly. Since Beta10a I have not experienced and problems with my unit.

Reg_2845 Serial #00173
Posted by: corby

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 16:24

I have experienced the problem twice, once on a beta-8 series rev, and once on 10a. Both times were related to use of the volume-up button on the console.

Corby
6-Gig Blue, #320

Posted by: zli_mcla

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 20:35

I experinced few times before beta 10 and once with beta 10A, either on volume up or down.
Use front panel most of the time. SN# 00143

Posted by: Lord Bleys

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 23:35

Never experienced this problem.

NOTE: My implementation is such that I keep the empeg at 0db and control all volume-related issues and equalisation from a Sony head unit (to which the empeg is connected as an aux device) in the car; at home I connect to a tuner and control volume from it (i.e. NOT from the empeg).

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca
Posted by: drakino

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 04/04/2000 23:37

I have never experienced the problem on my unit, and most of the times I use the buttons on the front. (Expecially since I misplaced my remote). I haven't had it mounted in the car yet, so I haven't used it that much yet though.

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/

Posted by: tychl

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 05/04/2000 06:06

Three times on down, once on volume up, both times right after a few track changes. (skip forward a few tracks, adjust volume slightly, let go, keeps going)

Serial #00044

Posted by: rmitz

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 05/04/2000 07:09

I have a vague recollection of experiencing the problem once, long ago (like B5 or something). Certainly not since 10a, but I do use the remote nearly all the time. Serial 00056.

Fly me to the moon...
Posted by: tadzio

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 05/04/2000 11:01

After reading your post, I decided to sit down and try. I normally never change the volume on the empeg - I use the head unit's volume control instead.

However, after playing with the volume buttons for only a few seconds, IT happened. And during the next two minutes (me pressing the volume buttons up and down all the time), it happend at least six to eight more times, both running upwards and downwards. After two minutes it became rarer, but still happened around once every two minutes. And it's definitely not a physically sticking button, because I could hear the microswitch click at every key-press and -release (the empeg currently sits on my desk, and of course I turned off the amplifier before trying that...).

So, the answer is: yes, it happens on my empeg. The serial number is 00112, and it's running beta 10 (non-A). And no, I didn't listen to a Madonna song...

Daniel

Posted by: ClemsonJeep

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 05/04/2000 14:51

Prior to 10 it happened all the time when adjusting volume or quickly pressing buttons to walk through tracks.

Since 10 I've installed a secondary head unit with CD player so I use the volume on the 2nd head unit and haven't had much call to use the volume control on the unit. I can verify that I haven't had any problem with using the front panel buttons for navigation of the menu, but I haven't tried to break it using the volume control. I'll try and let you know what I find.

(O|||||O)

Posted by: dionysus

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 05/04/2000 21:19

Experienced the bug on a fairly frequent basis still running beta 10 (at least 2-3 times/week driving to/from work around 45 minutes per day); The bug was originally more prevelent on the volume up, but I'm noticing it more now on the volume down (coincidence?) not that big a deal for me though - I can usually spot it happening and stop it before it completely runs away.
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units
Posted by: xavyer

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 06/04/2000 13:01

I've had the 'sticking buttons' happen, using the front panel buttons, on releases prior to Beta 10 and with Beta 10 and Beta 10A. Note that it is easily discernable that it is not a mechanical issue.

Posted by: danthep

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 08/04/2000 00:13

Used the empeg for about 20000 Kms of travelling. Saw the bug once (someone else in the car was operating the empeg). Pressed right in the menu and it kept going right. Pressing a button again stopped it. Not sure which button i pressed to fix it. This was Pre beta10. I use the buttons vs the remote 50% of the time. (depending on if the remote is handy)

Posted by: jhr

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 08/04/2000 05:05

Have never experienced this bug. However, am using the remote almost all of the time, and very seldom the volume buttons on the unit.

/jhr

Empeg #317 - 20GB blue
Posted by: Clarke

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 10/04/2000 22:09

1. I have experienced the runaway volume bug
2. I have experienced it with versions prior to B10 AND Beta 10 itself.
3. Twice in three hours of using the empeg since installing B10 (haven't been driving the car much). Once volume up and once volume down.

=-C

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 12/04/2000 00:48

I have experienced buttons sticking.

So far only volume stuck going up or down.

Maybe 2-3 times since I had the unit installed (~1-2 weeks ago)

-soul

Posted by: jfranke

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 18/04/2000 05:50

Oh - I shouldn't miss out on this one :-) Sorry I'm not reading this board all the time..

The bug happens like every or every 2nd day
It never scrolled through the menus by itself, not once, only on volume up/down
The bug happenened since I think I went to 8 something. I think it did not happen when I first got the unit (Serial #53) but I cannot recall what release was on there.
It happened before 10, after 10 and with 10a. The frequency the bug happens seemed to be lower with 10a now.
It happens anywhere in the song, beginning, end.
I'm mostly using 160kBit/s CBR MP3's.
I'm having the visuals on all time.
I almost never use the remote.
I use the standard, non patched customer image.

Thanks for checking on that, J.

Posted by: drakino

Re: Sticking Buttons - Request for Information - 18/04/2000 15:45

I guess I spoke too soon. I finally got the empeg installed in the car, and twice on a 20 min drive it got stuck, once going up, the other going down. I tried to do it in the menus with no luck at one light. Pressing a different button snapped it right out just fine, and I am running Beta 10a.

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/