Poweroff submenu reboots

Posted by: wfaulk

Poweroff submenu reboots - 08/02/2002 18:44

I was playing with the poweroff submenu, scrolling through them. I decided to finally select the Now selection, and as it was scrolling the final way, the scrolling itself slowed down, and when I pressed the down button, it would not respond. I had to remove power. I just tried it again, and this time, the scrolling didn't slow down, but selecting the Now option didn't seem to do anything, but then the player rebooted, which may have been what happened before. In fact, now, every time I select Now from the poweroff submenu, it just reboots.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 08/02/2002 22:57

Confirmed. Mine also reboots when selecting Now. Not going into the sub-menu powers it down right away. I'm not sure why the NOW option is there at all. If you want to do it "now" then don't enter the sub menu.

Bruno

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 08/02/2002 23:01

It makes sense because you could change your mind and backing out to do so seems kinda stupid. It's dumb that it's the default, though.

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 08/02/2002 23:09

Why does backing out seem stupid? Holding down the UP button (to back out) also powers down the unit.

Bruno

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 08/02/2002 23:19

Okay, I exaggerate slightly. But, honestly, it's more natural to me, if I were in that position, to find the listed Now than to back out and reselect. And from a consistent UI standpoint, if you're going to have a submenu that lets you change what an option does, it should also contain the standard usage. But I'm certainly not going to fight over this one.

Selecting Off definitely shouldn't restart, though. I think we can agree on that.

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 08/02/2002 23:34

Selecting Off definitely shouldn't restart, though. I think we can agree on that.

That depends. Are you looking for an argument?

The "now" option should definitely also not be the default, as you've mentioned. Of course, I really like the quick access from Hijack by using 4 on the remote. Even if it only allows increments of 30 minutes.

Bruno
Posted by: jbauer

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 09/02/2002 03:51

Weird. I can't figure out how to bring up the power off submenu...

I tried it by holding down the top round button, with the menu, and all kinds of way with the remote. Do I need to enable this as an option somewhere?

- Jon
Posted by: beaker

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 09/02/2002 05:33

Err... Try the Bottom button not the Top. It works much better .

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 09/02/2002 11:43

Sorry, what do you mean by try the bottom button? If I hold down the bottom button, it doesn't bring up a power down submenu...

- Jon

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 09/02/2002 11:46

If you hold down the bottom button while having the ``Power Off'' menu item selected, it brings up a menu for poweroff options. This is not apparently accessible through the long press of the top button, or in any other manner. If it still doesn't work, try installing 2.0beta11.

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 09/02/2002 11:49

Aha. Ok, gotya now. This isn't really obvious...

- Thanx!
- Jon
Posted by: mlord

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 09/02/2002 11:54

Sure it is.. just remap it with Hijack!

-ml
Posted by: tms13

Re: Poweroff submenu reboots - 09/02/2002 12:11

Long presses on menu items are something good to know about. They are also useful in playlists/tunes (brings up replace/insert/append) and on the Playlists menu item itself (brings up your last selected playlist).