Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#369452 - 02/10/2017 15:55 Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres?
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Guys, I've got another Music problem with my iPhone.

I finally took up the job of cleaning up my MP3 tags the ways iTunes likes them, so I copied all #Artist fields to #AlbumArtist as well (otherwise a separate entry for every track is made), and filled in track# and disc# for every track.

I tried to make it as simple as possible, not only for myself, but also for iTunes.

I checked the "manage Music and Videos manually" box. This enables me to drag and drop mp3's straight from Windows Explorer to iTunes.

I uploaded only the Top 40 stuff of my collection. To keep it very simple, I ordered all tracks by the decade they were released in. So the Genres tag is "sixties", "seventies, "eighties", ...Etc.

The idea is that I could then simply tap on genre "seventies" and shuffle if I only want to hear stuff from the seventies for a change.

I do not use playlists at all.

Here's the stupid part : this works for seventies, nineties and nillies. NOT for sixties, eighties and teens. When I tap one of those, Music says "loading", but does nothing. I thought there was a faulty track in there somewhere, but there isn't. All my tracks are verified. Besides, the Sixties folder only contains 10 tracks (hey, I'm a kid of the eighties!). Even copying only ONE of those tracks and then let it "shuffle" doesn't work. Tapping the file itself directly DOES make it play though.

I'm stumped. I already tried deleting all the tracks and copying them back, but that makes no difference. Surprisingly enough, shuffling everything does work! So it's also no matter of having too much tracks.

When I google for this problem, I find a lot a results regarding iTunes problems, but I don't believe iTunes is at fault here, it's the Music app itself.

Does this problem ring a bell for someone?

#369546 - 12/10/2017 13:58 Re: Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres? [Re: BartDG]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Well, I solved it... by switching to a Samsung S8. smile

I must say: I like this device. A lot! The screen is incredible. Crystal clear and very sharp. I also like Android itself. it immediately fixed two of my concerns I had with iOS, regarding Bluetooth in the car using multiple devices (doesn't really matter - though I'm happy it's fixed now wink )

There's just one thing I want to ask, I'm pretty sure Matt will know the answer to this. With my iPhone, I always set to switch on the side to "on", which killed all sounds coming from the phone. It did still vibrate on receiving a call, text, mail etc... this was fine for me. When I played a music file myself, that still worked as expected. I'm mean, it's not like the entire phone was muted, only for incoming stuff.

Android phones don't have such a switch. Is it possible to set this somewhere in the software? I already found the "do not disturb" function, but that is not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thx!

#369547 - 12/10/2017 14:12 Re: Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres? [Re: BartDG]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: BartDG
Well, I solved it...
Did you ever contact Apple support and ask them to assist with the problem?

#369550 - 12/10/2017 16:57 Re: Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres? [Re: BartDG]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Hopefully the Bixby button will be reprogrammable some day.

If you turn the ringer to vibrate, that kills all the notification sounds also. Music has its own volume, so if you are listening to music you aren't interrupted.

Edit: Or, even easier - just swipe down and hit the vibrate button.

Edited by Tim (12/10/2017 17:03)

#369552 - 12/10/2017 17:57 Re: Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres? [Re: Tim]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tim

That's what I was looking for!! Thanks!

I did find something that I liked better on the iPhone though: the counter on the Gmail or other apps to tell me how many unread emails I've got. That's not something that's standard on Android it seems, even though WhatsApp does seem to do it. Was easily fixed though, by installing Notyfier which creates widgets that do just this.

#369564 - 16/10/2017 00:47 Re: Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres? [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: Tim

That's what I was looking for!! Thanks!

I did find something that I liked better on the iPhone though: the counter on the Gmail or other apps to tell me how many unread emails I've got. That's not something that's standard on Android it seems, even though WhatsApp does seem to do it. Was easily fixed though, by installing Notyfier which creates widgets that do just this.

Yeah, Android only just got badges to indicate new items at all. I like having the number. But I'm glad a widget fixed it! That's definitely an advantage to Android...

#369574 - 17/10/2017 16:50 Re: Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres? [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Yes, very cool how the system itself can be adapted via a widget.
On the other hand: I've just read that notifications is one of the prime novelties of Android 8 (Oreo), so it looks like counters on icons will be implemented anyway, once Samsung rolls out Oreo for the Galaxy series. Me happy! smile

#369579 - 18/10/2017 06:40 Re: Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres? [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yes, very cool how the system itself can be adapted via a widget.
On the other hand: I've just read that notifications is one of the prime novelties of Android 8 (Oreo), so it looks like counters on icons will be implemented anyway, once Samsung rolls out Oreo for the Galaxy series. Me happy! smile

Hmm, I'm not sure it's what you think it is. The way I understood it, Oreo is adding "badges," which are just a dot on the corner of the icon to signify something new in it. It's a small dot, too small to house a number in it, and it's only a binary indicator.

I had Oreo for a while before I switched, and that was my experience with it.

#369593 - 19/10/2017 19:03 Re: Apple Music on iOS doesn't play certain Genres? [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Ah? Oh well, doesn't matter. I've already got it covered with that widget. An added dot will be bonus. Thanks for the info!