Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#247035 - 20/01/2005 17:40 Bad networking component, dock or karma?
drakino
carpal tunnel

It looks like my Karma now refuses to talk to any network I plug it into. I had 1 known switch it would actually talk to (due to the known network problem). Now for whatever reason, it refuses to talk to any of my 5 switches in the house, nor will it work directly cabled to my Powerbook and Dell laptops.

So, what component is likely bad? Is most of the ethernet in the dock, or in the Karma? Thankfully Best Buy does still carry the Karma online, so my replacement plan should still get me an exact replacement instead of an iPod or similar.

And yes I know USB2 works fine, but it only works for me at 1.1 speeds on my Powerbook due to having to use Virtual PC and RMM. I'd rather just stick to using JEmplode on my Mac to keep my hierarchical playlists. At least until mass storage support is added one day.

#247036 - 20/01/2005 18:25 Re: Bad networking component, dock or karma? [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Also as a side note the download page for 2.90 says the Taxi program is included, but it is missing from the installer.

#247037 - 20/01/2005 18:29 Re: Bad networking component, dock or karma? [Re: drakino]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I noticed that too. That'd be nice to have.

#247038 - 21/01/2005 20:09 Re: Bad networking component, dock or karma? [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

As an update to this, looks like the network is still working like it normally does if I use a long enough cable. Kinda silly to have a 50 ft cable for the Karma when it sits on my desk right next to the 5 port switch I use, but I suppose it will do for now to allow cross platform transfers again.

#247039 - 21/01/2005 23:41 Re: Bad networking component, dock or karma? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
As an update to this, looks like the network is still working like it normally does if I use a long enough cable. Kinda silly to have a 50 ft cable for the Karma when it sits on my desk right next to the 5 port switch I use, but I suppose it will do for now to allow cross platform transfers again.

Aha. That was one of the known problems during beta, as I recall. It was a timing problem with one of the oscillators that controlled the ethernet communication. Using a long enough cable induced enough of a microsecond-delay that it fixed the handshaking bug. (Again, if I recall correctly.)

#247040 - 27/01/2005 17:51 Re: Bad networking component, dock or karma? [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
As tfabris says, it's an oscillator tolerance combined with a bug in the PHY silicon. The issue is in the player, not the dock, though we only ever saw occasional issues with certain hubs - it talked fine to almost everything. If it's stopped working with *everything*, this might not be the same issue.

Hugo