Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#112631 - 23/08/2002 11:17 Speaker-level Crossover?
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
Hi,

You might have noticed my other post, regarding Mac Audio powered subs. This is related.

My current system is the empeg (of course) running through a JVC HU (bought 2 weeks before the firesale, so I couldn't justify buying an amp too). The JVC is running decent front and rear speakers from its internal amp. I'd like more bass, but I can't afford to amp the front/rear speakers currently.

If I get a sub, then obviously I'd like to cut everything below 80hz (ish) from going to the door speakers (they're components, and can't really handle low frequencies at any volume). However, going through the HU, it's not a simple case of twiddling a dial on an external amp or fitting crossovers in the line-level output stage.

Now my component speakers come with speaker-level crossovers already (to send the appropriate frequencies to the tweeters). So this must be possible. But has anyone seen anything that can cut frequencies on speaker-level outputs?

Many thanks,

A.
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#112632 - 23/08/2002 13:14 Re: Speaker-level Crossover? [Re: snoopstah]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
you can buy inline crossovers, some are called just that, and then some were called bass blockers, Im not sure where you can get them anymore crutchfield used to carry them.

#112633 - 26/08/2002 22:17 Re: Speaker-level Crossover? [Re: snoopstah]
munkworks
new poster

Loc: Ventura, California, USA
All you need is a bi-polar capacitor in series with each of your speakers. Assuming roughly a 4 ohm impedance (although at 80 to 100 hz. you are not too far away from speaker resonance), your value for the capacitor would be approx. 450 microfarad. Like I mentioned though, being this close to speaker resonance, I would personally cut that value in half. Buy two 225 microfarad caps or three 150 microfarad caps and put them in parallel to achieve 450 microfarad. That way you can peel some back if you wish to lower your value (raise the crossover point) to protect the speaker. Keep in mind this is a simple 1st order (6 db per octave) filter and therefore has limited protection capacity due to its gentle rolloff slope. Use your ears. They are some of your best tools when choosing a ballance between sound pressure and sound quality.

#112634 - 28/08/2002 00:35 Re: Speaker-level Crossover? [Re: snoopstah]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#112635 - 28/08/2002 08:13 Re: Speaker-level Crossover? [Re: Heather]
munkworks
new poster

Loc: Ventura, California, USA