Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#133116 - 06/01/2003 14:10 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Daria]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
he made his name beating on GM over the Corvair, and hasn't done anything particularly commanding of respect since.

Since? That episode (Corvair bashing) certainly didn't command any of MY respect.

Car & Driver magazine printed frame-by-frame pictures from the movie that Nader used when he demonstrated how unsafe the Corvair was. In those frames, blown up for easy visibility, it was possible to see the position of the driver's hands. What was supposed to be a constant turn on a skidpad resulting in the car overturning, was actually a very concerted effort on the part of the driver, turning rapidly left/right/left to build up enough lateral instability and momentum to cause the car to roll.

Nader used this as a springboard to national recognition and power, and there are few people I respect less.

tanstaafl.

#133117 - 06/01/2003 14:16 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Okay, but can we all at least agree that the Aztek is "ugly at any speed?"

#133118 - 06/01/2003 14:23 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Okay, but can we all at least agree that the Aztek is "ugly at any speed?"

My despair.com calendar has today's date (01/06) marked thusly: "The Aztek, a practical joke between designers at Pontiac, gets way out of hand. (2000)"

A long time ago, someone on this BBS referred to it as the "Asstek", as in: "Dude, your car looks like ass." I've referred to it as the Asstek ever since.

#133119 - 06/01/2003 14:27 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks, Tony, the despair.com calendar is exactly where I stole the idea for that post from.

#133120 - 06/01/2003 14:28 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I didn't say I respected him for that. Without enough research on my own part I decline to form an opinion on the basis, solely, of that issue. I hate him for everything else, isn't that enough??

#133121 - 06/01/2003 14:30 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: ]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Clinton was the worst president we've ever had.

Oh, God, why do I do this? I guess I'm just a masochist and in the mood for a little troll-baiting.

He's the worst president because... let's see: He got a blow job in the oval office? [sarcasm]Well, I can certainly understand how anybody who ever got a blow job (OK, let's have a little class here: had fellatio) would certainly, beyond any doubt, be proven incompetent to hold any sort of political office.[/sarcasm]

He's the worst president because... let's see: He was not forthcoming about admitting he got a blow job in the oval office? Well, I can certainly understand how not wanting to discuss intimate personal issues with a gang of bona-fide witch hunters whose sole and absolute guiding principal was political gain (issues that in no way had even the remotest bearing on leadership abilities) would certainly prove beyond any doubt that he was incompetent to hold office. Has any other politician ever told less than the full truth before?

He's the worst president because... let's see: He made and implemented policy decisions that adversely affected national security or the well-being of American citizens? Maybe he took us into a war in the middle east? Hmmm... not that I can recall. But I'm sure that you have done the research and are ready and able to cite lots of specific examples about why "Clinton was the worst president we've ever had. "

Just imagine what would have happened if, the first time someone had made the accusation of sexual impropriety in the Oval Office, ol' Bill had just said, "Yeah -- I got blown right there at my desk. She was great, too. You should be so lucky." Half the people in the country would have hailed him as a hero.

And, just for the record -- I am not a Clinton lover. The last US president I had any real appreciation for died before most of the people on this bbs were even born.

tanstaafl.

#133122 - 06/01/2003 14:34 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
Daria
carpal tunnel

And, just for the record -- I am not a Clinton lover. The last US president I had any real appreciation for died before most of the people on this bbs were even born.

Which one?

On that note, I think Jimmy Carter is a great guy, even if he made a poor president.

#133123 - 06/01/2003 14:39 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Daria]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
On that note, I think Jimmy Carter is a great guy, even if he made a poor president.

He certainly could be considered one of the best ex-presidents.

#133124 - 06/01/2003 14:40 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Dignan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Yes. Why can't we vote for ex-presidents directly, and skip the messy interim 4 to 8 years?

#133125 - 06/01/2003 14:41 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Doug, I admire you for responding to that. I just dismissed the thread for a few days because that post was so dumb.

Besides, he may be a troll, but he's also someone who may believe that he's being spied on in part of some big conspiracy and wants to arm himself accordingly. We're not talking about the brightest bulb.

#133126 - 06/01/2003 14:45 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Okay, Nixon died fairly recently and all the presidents since him are still alive, so that leaves Johnson and earlier. Kennedy? Maybe, but I'm guessing Truman. Much earlier than that and I'm getting awfully close to when I expect you'd be too young to have cared much for being interested in presidents, but I'm guessing as to your age (and assuming that has anything to do with it).

Ooh! No! Wait! It has to be Warren Harding! Potentially more mealymouthed than our current Parsident.

#133127 - 06/01/2003 14:48 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Daria]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yes. Why can't we vote for ex-presidents directly, and skip the messy interim 4 to 8 years?

ps-I'm actually a liberal, but I thought the button was funny

#133128 - 06/01/2003 15:02 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Dignan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Well, I think I'd have to wait to hear who the real^H^H^H^Hvice president was going to be before I decided to vote for him.

I'm still registered Republican but I've become more liberal (not "a" liberal) in the last 5 years. I'd call myself a centrist. Some political quiz I took called me aan authoritarian-leaning centrist.

#133129 - 06/01/2003 15:06 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

We're not talking about the brightest bulb.

Don't be so sure about that.

I have exchanged emails and PMs with Paul (our erstwhile troll) and he is actually a pretty bright kid -- the operative word being "kid".

I just think that he tends to post things off the top of his head without giving them any thought.

I doubt very much that he has checked the "I want to preview my post..." box.

tanstaafl.

#133130 - 06/01/2003 15:14 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Conciliator!
Apologist!
Appeaser!

#133131 - 06/01/2003 15:39 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: wfaulk]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
*sigh* OK, where did I leave that dictionary again?

#133132 - 06/01/2003 16:09 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: ]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
In reply to:

Clinton was the worst president we've ever had.

Funny I thought he was a decent president, what got me was the republicans wasting millions to prove he got a bj.... I was more pissed about my tax money being wasted on something so trivial. Say what you will about Clinton, but there certainly was no shortage of jobs when he was in office.

And yeah... I voted for Gore.

#133133 - 06/01/2003 16:11 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'll give you that. The paranoia thing still puzzles me, though, and scares me because he's out there (if he's serious). I'm glad I live far away from where we decided he probably lives. I feel safer.

#133134 - 06/01/2003 16:12 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up..?? [Re: ilDuce]
jasonc

I've watched ventura ever since he announced his candidacy for govaner. He hasnt said one thing ive dissagreed with sofar. The ironic proof he would make a good president is, he doesnt want the job.

>duck<

#133135 - 06/01/2003 16:17 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up..?? [Re: jasonc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I was discussing Ventura with some people also. It's funny, but the media and everyone always joked around that a wrestler was governor of a state, but that's all that anyone ever joked about. He really didn't give out as much fodder as most public officials, especially Bush jr.

#133136 - 06/01/2003 17:09 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tonyc]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
can we all at least agree that the Aztek is "ugly at any speed?"

As long as the Chevy Avalanche gets a solid second place...

#133137 - 06/01/2003 20:07 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: davec]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I second that.... Ugh.

#133138 - 06/01/2003 22:09 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: ]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Ah, I guess my sarcastic joke was too subtle.

Sarcasm works best when the comment is out of line with your usual comments. Which, you have to admit, that wasn't.

#133139 - 07/01/2003 07:00 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, Doug. I don't care about what blowjobs he got, although it does reflect on his character. I didn't say it without much thought; I just didn't explain my entire thought.

He is a proven liar. He sold out to the chinese. He's a traitor. He gave pardons for money. His staff trashed the Whitehouse before leaving. Not only do I not agree with his politics, but he is a dishonest man. When I look at a politcian, first I look at their character, and then I look at their policies.

Just because the economy was in a boom while he was in office doesn't mean he is a great president. It's not like they have an Economic Control Headquarters in Washington DC where the president can just push a few buttons and make the economy go up. And I don't care what anyone says, more taxes does not help the economy at all. I don't agree with any of the economic and social policies of Clinton/Gore/left, but I say he is the worst president because of his blatent dishonesty, and I don't doubt that he did and would again sell out his country. Jimmy Carter was a terrible president, but a least from what i've seen he seems like a decent and honest guy.

Maybe he took us into a war in the middle east? Hmmm... not that I can recall
Nope, but maybe he should have. Then we wouldn't have to be kicking ass right now. Of course, NY and the Pentagon weren't attacked when he was president, but I'm glad we're getting the terrorists now. Al Qaeda, taliban.....and Saddam. The world will be much better off the day Saddam is put in front of a firing squad and shot in the head.

Plus, Clinton signed the ridiculous Assault Weapon Ban in 1994 which pisses me off. But, it is set to expire in '04, and hopefully G dawg W won't sign it if it is repassed.

#133140 - 07/01/2003 07:16 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

the operative word being "kid"

yup

#133141 - 07/01/2003 07:19 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

he's also someone who may believe that he's being spied on in part of some big conspiracy and wants to arm himself accordingly. We're not talking about the brightest bulb.

You got me this time, man. I held myself together through all of your previous insults, but now I'm crying. I don't know if I want to live now. You accomplished your goal, so you can rest assured. But seriously, Dignan, it's getting kind of old. It's obvious that you have some self-esteem issues, and you need someone who you can feel like you're better than to get a boost of confidence so you can make it through the day . You also like to pull the old beat-up-on-Yz33d trick to try to gain acceptance with your online buddies, and maybe someone likes you a little more now after reading your clever insults. There's no need for any of this nonsense.

The paranoia thing still puzzles me, though, and scares me because he's out there (if he's serious). I'm glad I live far away from where we decided he probably lives. I feel safer.

It sounds like your the one who's paranoid. But I guess if my "bulb was a little brighter" I would've known not to post a joke on here or someone might take it too seriously. Actually Dignan, I am an escapee from a guatamalan insane asylum, and I'm hiding near Washington, DC. I like to stalk people who play instruments in organized musical bands. I've had my eye on you for some time now

#133142 - 07/01/2003 07:21 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

kid

I don't think you're that much older than me, big guy.

#133143 - 07/01/2003 07:22 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: ]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That's an old picture, smartass.

#133144 - 07/01/2003 07:25 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

How old are you?

#133145 - 07/01/2003 07:26 Re: with the new (US) president election coming up [Re: ]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

About 10 years older than that picture

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >