Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#134017 - 16/02/2003 05:40 Re: new product announcement? [Re: andy]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Try renting from Hertz and getting their NeverLost option.

Rob

#134018 - 16/02/2003 09:57 Re: new product announcement? [Re: andy]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, the 2mile sign is rarely implemented for any exit other than a major one. (ie another interstate).

I think that a few major differences help to catch out UK drivers;
1) The density of exits on a US freeway is far higher than on UK motorways, which means that you see a lot more signs generally. It's easy to start missing them because you switch off.
2) The default positioning of exit warning signs is at 1 mile and 1/4 mile, versus 1 mile and 1/2 mile in the UK. That extra 1/4 mile in the UK can make a lot of difference.
3) In the UK you have 300,200,100 yd countdown markers - it's near impossible to miss your exit. I don't recollect ever seeing these in the US. The exit marker is usually something like a yellow reflective diamond which is positioned so that it would be on your left as you exit.
4) UK has long straight slip roads, which are generally easily visible. They are also marked with green cats eyes so the stand out at night. US Exit Ramps tend to be short with sharp turns, making them easy to miss if your not paying attention during the crucial few seconds.
The use of *any* cats eyes in the US is very dependant on state. New Jersey has a lot, Massachusetts has virtually none. Regardless, I haven't ever seen any as clear as in the UK.

As to the quality of signage in general - in Massachusetts they are poor. I think that's a symptom of other issues.

The US numbers routes and not roads. This is a big problem IMO, since a major road can end up being part of several routes in different places, so the numbering is constantly changing. Taking Boston as an easy example;

That red ring road around Boston is Massachusetts State Road 128 (colloquially as '128') But from where I95 meets from the south to where it leaves at the north, 128 becomes I95. If you look at the exit numbers for 128, they follow I95's numbering clockwise for this portion. Now the southeastern section of 128 is also known as I93, and the exit numbers also reflect this, numbering counterclockwise from 1. The kicker here is that I93 North is 128 South at the same time. Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention that this section is also US Route 1 North as well. Now the northeastern section of 128 presumably contains true 128 exit numbers. Running counterclockwise from 1 at Gloucester (off map) to 28 just before it hits I95.

Confused? Join the club. It seems as though no one seems to know what to call this road at various points. If you're looking to get on it, sometimes you'll see signs for 128, sometimes I95, and sometimes I93, depending on where you are. And often they'll be wrong. And listening to traffic reports is interesting too. The Eyes of the Sky generally refer to the whole road simply as 128. But they use the exit numbers appropriate to the individual routes, so it's up to local knowledge to decipher what they mean when they talk about '128 Exit 20' (Should be on the northeastern section, but they usually mean I95 Exit 20).

And on Cape Cod, there's a road, route 28 that is labelled North for South and vice versa along it's entire length. It's really confusing travelling North with the sun in your eyes. At some point obviously someone got pissed off about it enough to do something - some of the signs have been spray painted with a correction.

Edited by genixia (16/02/2003 10:12)

#134019 - 16/02/2003 14:09 Re: new product announcement? [Re: genixia]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Yeah, the 2mile sign is rarely implemented for any exit other than a major one. (ie another interstate).

Maybe there. If you don't believe me I'll drive into Pittsburgh after the snow finishes and take pictures of every interchange for you on the way in. The Penn-Lincoln Parkway East is definitely an urban interstate. The exit sign spacing is only substandard where the exit spacing itself is.

As to your later point about colocated highways...
Parkway East is I-376/US-22, and from Forest Hills inward, also US-30. The Parkway West is I-279/US-22/US-30.

As to the quality of signage in general - in Massachusetts they are poor. I think that's a symptom of other issues.

I think this is your actual problem. There are standards, Massachusetts may just be failing to apply them.

As to dual 128/95, 95 was supposed to go through Boston, but (arguably correct) NIMBYs precluded it. So now there are greenways and colocated 128/95.

And as to route 28 on the Cape, if I'm on route 28 north I should end up going through Medford and on north. Do the spray-painted corrections fix that, or more likely, do they break it?

There is rhyme, and reason; In some cases it's just poor.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6