Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176680 - 25/08/2003 05:23 What to ask when having a home built?
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
My wife and I decided we want to move out to the country. This weekend we found a lot that we really like (10 acres!). They have already begun construction on the house - the foundation is down and the first level is mostly framed out.

So I don't know anything about new construction and I'm wondering what I should ask. I'm particularly wondering if there are things that I assume are part of a house that aren't in the base price. For example, I discovered that the hookups are there for a washer/dryer but the machines themselves aren't included.

Those of you who have done this, what did you learn?

-Dylan

#176681 - 25/08/2003 06:30 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Dylan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Not sure what that. But get them to string lots of Cat5 around whilst it's easy to do. You can never have enough and you'll find uses for it

#176682 - 25/08/2003 06:43 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: tman]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

At this stage I'd be thinking about cat7!

#176683 - 25/08/2003 06:45 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Dylan]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I wholeheartedly second the wire pulls. I did that in my basement before the wallboard went up. Made the home theater setup much easier.

Also, make sure the floor plan is to your liking, too: You can make changes now much more cheaply than later. My folks did this when they bought their house - got a much larger kitchen, master bath and two finished rooms in the basement. Don't forget the home server room...

-jk

#176684 - 25/08/2003 06:56 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Dylan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Take this for what it’s worth. I’ve had two homes built, one by KB (*shudder*) and one by Centex. Neither of these were acreage lots and both would qualify as “starter” homes.

You probably won't get a refrigerator, though you will get a range and a dishwasher. The range can be gas powered or electrical powered, so you'll want to find out which it is in case you want to replace it later.

If you have the options for hardware upgrades (faucets etc.), know that you can put a lot of these in after the fact for MUCH cheaper. Of course, unless you request more in your loan these won’t be covered so it really just depends on how much cash you have on hand and how long you’re willing to wait to get everything that you want. After buying two new houses, however, I can tell you we got a much better house when we focused on finding a builder who did solid construction and not nice bells and whistles. Some builders (KB) put lots of flashy stuff but don’t build quality.

I don’t know where you’re buying, but here in Texas air conditioning is a big thing. In our first house (1800 sq feet one story) our electrical bill got up to $300 a month. This was due to poor construction, an underpowered cooling unit, and virtually NO insulation in the walls. When we bought our second house (2550 sq feet two story) we upgraded our AC unit and put radiant barrier shielding in the roof to reduce heat. Through these improvements and better construction, this much larger house has peaked at $200 ONE time during the summer. AC might not be as big a deal where you are though . . .

Find out what kind of landscaping package you are getting. How much of your acreage are you going to have to sod? In my experience most builders don’t sod the back yard. Grass can get pretty expensive, and you might want to look into getting a sprinkler system. You also should find out what kind of fencing you are getting, though since you’re out in the country this might not be as big a deal. I’ve seen builders who don’t put side fences, though ours have always put in all of the fencing.

Depending on how hard the water is where you are, you might want to consider a water softener, which means you’ll want to know if the house is plumbed for it. Here in San Antonio you do not buy a house and not get a water softener, as the hard water will destroy all of your appliances in five years (the joys of having an aquifer for a water source).

And since you’re a geek (I assume), if the builder isn’t gong to do it for you, you'll want to run networking cable and speaker wire before the sheetrock is put in. This is technically not legal since you don't own the house yet, however, talk to the builder and see how big a deal this really is. With one house (KB) I got the "you can't do that *wink* *wink*, but there's nothing we could do if you did . . ." With my second one (Centex) I got "Don't do that. We WILL rip it all out and make things unpleasant if you try, and we will know." (Incidentally the second house was much better built than the first).

If you decide to run your own cabling, the easiest method is to go to home depot (or wherever) and buy the little blue electrical boxes and position them where you want the speakers and cables to come out of the wall. Then simply run the wires throughout the walls and into the boxes. When the sheetrockers come out they won't know that these weren't put there by the electricians (nor will they care) and will make holes for them in the sheetrock. Then when they’re finished you can buy covers for the speakers/ drops and the whole thing looks really nice.

Finally, though the builder will tell you they have their own inspectors who visit the house through every stage of the process, it cannot hurt to have your own, third-party inspectors to make sure things are going smoothly. Visit the house as much as you can while it’s being built so that you can catch things that go wrong (which there will be). It’s much more difficult for a builder to fix a misaligned panel or a warped piece of wood days before closing.

Oh, and smuggle your toilet in from Canada!

#176685 - 25/08/2003 08:16 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: genixia]
tman
carpal tunnel

Cat7? It took them long enough to approve Cat6! Be wary about buying cable. Before Cat6 was approved a lot of manufacturers sold what they called Cat6 cable. Most of it was okay but I think a couple brands didn't quite meet the final spec.
If you do decide to use GigE then make sure you don't untwist too much of the cable at the ends and check the radius of any bends. It really doesn't like it if you bend it too much or untwist the ends much.

#176686 - 25/08/2003 08:24 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: JeffS]
tman
carpal tunnel

It's a bit annoying about Centex telling you don't try wiring it up. It's so much easier to just pull the wires when it's still under construction. No chance of offering them a couple cases of beer or something to overlook it?

If you're really serious about it then you'll want to have conduit. And inside that you'll have several runs of Cat6 to each point and a nylon pulling cord if you ever need anything else.

#176687 - 25/08/2003 08:28 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: tman]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

In builder-speak, what you want is "structured wiring". While packages vary, the general idea is that you get a star-shaped topology of Cat5 and either 75-ohm coax or RG-6 that all converges on some sort of wiring closet where you might install your DSL modem and Ethernet hub.

For what it's worth, I bought my first house "spec" (pre-built; I just walked in and bought it). This was valuable for a lot of reasons. My fiancée and I have been living there for a while and have begun to develop a "wishlist" of features we want in our next house. You'll never really know until you do it yourself. Some of the things on our wishlist:

- more storage (more closet space, plus a room where all the boxes and junk can go -- what other people would put in a basement, here you need to have a separate room, as any basement you might dig would immediately fill with water)

- more kitchen cabinetry with more work surface (we have tons of kitchen gear and nowhere enough space to put it all)

- a bigger gas range, suitable for using a restaurant-sized Chinese wok. This would require more BTUs than a standard range.

- a home theater room, purpose built for the task (perhaps using fancy acoustic damping wall materials)

- a three car garage

- ten foot ceilings with ceiling fans (my previous apartments had 8-foot ceilings while my current house has 10-foot ceilings -- it's amazing what a difference that extra headroom makes in the feel of the house)

Add that all up, and it's going to be a pricey house, especially if we get it custom built. That's why it's called a "dream house." But, at least I know what I want, which I didn't a few years ago.

#176688 - 25/08/2003 09:09 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: tman]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

It's a bit annoying about Centex telling you don't try wiring it up. It's so much easier to just pull the wires when it's still under construction.
True, but I do understand. This particular house offered *very* few options (our color package was one of eight pre-determined sets). However, because there was NO special work done on any of the houses it allowed them to offer higher quality building for a lower price. And that might sound like marketing, but having been through this twic I can tell you that they beta KB on price and there is absolutly no doubt in my mind that the construction was better and more effecient. I believe that on higher end Centex homes they are a bit more lenient on such things.

So I ended up going wireless anyway, or at least that's my plan!

#176689 - 25/08/2003 09:45 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Dylan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Were the bodies moved, or just the headstones?

-Zeke

#176690 - 25/08/2003 10:02 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Dylan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I second the whole structured wiring part. My house actually came standard with this, and I have since converted many of those Cat 5 runs into ethernet jacks instead of phone jacks. I have a small hub in there now running the ports, and wll be expanding the box down the road when I do a home entertainment setup in my basement.

#176691 - 25/08/2003 10:35 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: JeffS]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Visit the house as much as you can while it’s being built so that you can catch things that go wrong (which there will be).

Absolutely! I would go as far as saying "plan to be there yourself most of the time". Builders make a lot f stupid mistakes and assumptions - it's much easier if you notice they are putting the door so it blocks the dishwasher, and can shout "hold it!" than if you discover it after you have moved in.

This goes especially for non-standard or unusual stuff (like ethernet).

#176692 - 25/08/2003 10:54 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: drakino]
tman
carpal tunnel

What is that thing? It for cable? We don't have those over there in the UK anyway

#176693 - 25/08/2003 11:16 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Ezekiel]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Were the bodies moved, or just the headstones?

That is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile Thanks.

#176694 - 25/08/2003 11:23 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: tman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
We don't have those over there in the UK anyway
Yeah, those of us with Victorian terraced houses constructed entirely of brick-and-plaster walls can only dream of such things. When electricity, gas, and running water are retrofits, you can't expect the original builders to have paid much attention to structured network cabling.

Having said that, the house does have this bizarre thing, running the full height of the house, called a chimney -- which seems to have been the Victorian word for Cat5 plenum...

Peter

Edited by peter (25/08/2003 11:25)

#176695 - 25/08/2003 11:30 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: peter]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Exactly! I have a fair bunch of Cat5 running down the second (non-functional) chimney pipe - funny enough, they didn't seem to have prepared for Cat5 in the 17th century

#176696 - 25/08/2003 12:31 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: julf]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Visit the house as much as you can while it’s being built so that you can catch things that go wrong (which there will be).
Absolutely! When the place I'm living in now was built, my dad went through the entire house and showed the wiring guy exactly what we wanted. Sadly, he was a few cards short of a deck, and completely screwed it up, despite a very clean, clear diagram from my dad. He put the rear speakers on the side of the room that the TV would be sitting, he neglected to put phone lines in the two upstairs bedrooms (thus my two roommates have been without phones in their rooms for 3 years), and according to another wiring guy, he screwed up the cat5 on every jack in the house. It works, but should be rewired.

So, things will go wrong, but it's nice to have a house in the end

Oh, and if my dad and I were building a house today, we'd go with good ol' Rich Trethewey's radiant heating. The main room has a cathedral ceiling and that makes it impossible to heat or cool.

#176697 - 25/08/2003 12:45 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: peter]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
In reply to:

which seems to have been the Victorian word for Cat5 plenum...

I think if I ever had a house built I'd definitely insist upon a tech riser and computer flooring throughout!

Andy M

#176698 - 25/08/2003 12:51 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Dylan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Oh, and one more thing. On the outside make sure they are using fiberboard (hardy plank) and not wood paneling. I saw some houses on my last house search that used wood paneling, though I think they were mostly very low end

#176699 - 25/08/2003 13:34 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Dylan]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
I'm not sure what I'm repeating but here's my list:

1. Copper water piping inside the house (I don't like the plastic stuff).
2. If you're putting in a basement make sure the bottom of the floor joists are minimum of nine feet from the finished concrete (allows for a dropped ceiling so you can always add more wiring and whatever later easily).
3. Rough a bathroom in the basement (if you're getting a basement).
4. Put a conduit in that runs from the basement to the attic (about a 2"). That way you can alway run cabling anywhere in the house.
5. Add gas stubouts on your deck or patio for a natural gas grill.
6. Make sure the condensing units are more oversized than undersized.
7. Pick a location in the basement for a communications closet and homerun a cat5, RG6 and telephone cable from each room to there.
8. Insist that the builder make sure everything is SQUARE you may want to check this yourself. It looks funny when you put in tile or wood floor with wallls that are not square.
9. Make sure the french drain along the footing of the house gets put in (usually black pipe with gravel on top) so your basement doesn't get flooded. And make sure you can see either end before signing off on the house so you know where they come out. Of course if you're in Florida you won't have a basement.
10. Washer, Dryer, Refrigerator and garage door opener typically is not included in a new house.
11. Make sure you get double insulated windows (I think this is standard now).
12. If you want any landscaping lights or receptacles out in the bushes (for Christmas lights) you may want to do this.
13. Irrigation system? I put mine in myself but swear that I will never do it again.
14. Sleeve the driveway and sidewalks (for future wiring or irrigation). I put a 4" pvc under the driveway slap nearest the house as well as a 2" under the sidewalk.
15. Electronic, programable thermostats are nice but you can always add those later.
16. If you want any recess can lights instead of those builder grade fixtures, you may want to consider them throwing those in.
17. Alarm system? If you're not putting one in now maybe a prewire?
18. Think about how your furniture is going to layout and maybe even draw a picture to scale including furniture so you know exactly how to set up your surround sound system. And of course prewire it.
19. Make sure the builder will come back after a year for another walkthrough to fix any sheetrock nails that are popping out or cracked drywall or any other miscellaneous problems.
20. Make sure the sub-floor is 3/4" PLYWOOD glued and screwed to the floor joists. I'm sure you don't want squeaks and the plywood facilitates the installation of nail down 3/4" wood floors if you choose to do that now or later.

Good Luck

Edited by Jerz (25/08/2003 13:38)

#176700 - 25/08/2003 13:43 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Dylan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Cast iron drain pipes for the upstairs bathroom sewage drains. It is much, much quieter than PVC. Nobody wants to hear crap whooshing past when sitting on the livingroom sofa while watching Love Story.

-Zeke

#176701 - 25/08/2003 13:55 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Ezekiel]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Cast iron drain pipes for the upstairs bathroom sewage drains.

LMAO!! I don't believe that will be an option for him. But you know you do have a point.

Edited by Jerz (25/08/2003 13:56)

#176702 - 25/08/2003 13:59 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Ezekiel]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Nobody wants to hear crap whooshing past when sitting on the livingroom sofa while watching Love Story.
Yeah. There'd already be enough crap on the TV in front of you.

Sorry. Had to do it.

#176703 - 25/08/2003 14:10 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Ezekiel]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Cast iron drains will be especially useful if you smuggle in the Canadian high volume toilet: More water = more noise?

And, of course, noise correlates to inductance.

-jk

#176704 - 25/08/2003 14:13 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

That, my well spoken friend, is a damn good point! If I'd been drinking Dr. Pepper, I'd be cleaning my screen off right now.

Jerz - I've never had a home built, is the non-availability of cast iron downpipes a matter of the contractor selection?

-Zeke

#176705 - 25/08/2003 14:18 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: genixia]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I pulled cat5 and TV coax, and I wished I'd thought of fiber.

#176706 - 25/08/2003 14:23 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: Daria]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
I've heard of people pulling this stuff (SNTP-HN3). That's what I would do.
ricin.us

#176707 - 25/08/2003 14:32 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: drakino]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I have since converted many of those Cat 5 runs into ethernet jacks instead of phone jacks.

When I still cared about phone I had a few phones running over spare pairs in ethernet cat5. One was the dialup for the house in the period between the T1 going away and the cable modem appearing.

Reminds me, I should sell the phone system I have; It's half-decent, and I'm in no danger of using it.

#176708 - 25/08/2003 14:53 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: jmwking]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Cast iron drains will be especially useful if you smuggle in the Canadian high volume toilet: More water = more noise? And, of course, noise correlates to inductance.
OMG, a three-layer BBS-specific refrerence/callback joke. Now THAT's good.

#176709 - 25/08/2003 15:03 Re: What to ask when having a home built? [Re: ricin]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I've heard of people pulling this stuff (SNTP-HN3). That's what I would do.

In late 1995, early 1996, it was hard to find something like this, and it was expensive. Easier to bundle and pull ourselves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >