Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#176803 - 25/08/2003 09:23 why wont my sub amp turn on?
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
hello all,

Hoping that someone can give me some insight before I go ripping my entire audio system out of my car...

I have 2 amps in my car. One powers the door speakers and one powers the sub. Both are connected to the same remote turn on wire, so I at least know that that works.

Potential problems that I have eliminated at the amp end:
1) remote turn on wire
2) amp fuses
3) proper grounding
4) connected to power wire

all of these things appear to be in proper working order. I have not pulled out the empeg docking cage as it is not a project to be taken lightly, it's really jammed in there. So I wanted to gather a bit of information and ideas as to why my sub amp suddenly stopped working. Could it be something at the head unit end? Any one else ever have a similar issue?

thanks everyone

#176804 - 25/08/2003 09:28 Re: why wont my sub amp turn on? [Re: ithoughti]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Disconnect all wires from the amplifier except for the power wire and the ground wire. This means also disconnecting the remote lead, the RCA cables, and all the speaker wires.

Then use a small wire to touch the remote turn-on connection point to the power wire.

Does the amp power on now?

If so, the one of the connected things was shorting it out and preventing it from turning on. Reconnect them one at a time until you find which one it was.

If not, then the amp is bad or there is something wrong in the power wiring.

#176805 - 25/08/2003 09:39 Re: why wont my sub amp turn on? [Re: tfabris]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I will try that. Thanks!