Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19483 - 05/10/2000 01:59 Emplode re-tagging files??
Ionic
journeyman

Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
Ok, sorry if this was already pointed out, but with the bbs-search I couldn't find a post about my problem:

You all talk about tagging MP3s properly so empeg could identify easily; my problem is, after tagging all my 2,000 songs MP3 TagStudio, the way emplode deals with my songs: when drag'n droping the files, it sometimes completely changes the tag:
Some tracks' titles will be set to "track x" (where x is a randomly(?) created number), sometimes the artist field will be changed and only "artist" will appear, and sometimes the title field contains the artist as well the the artist field.....
The Comments&Genre fields are almost always cleared; I must have been stupid to tag all my mp3s for many hours... or did I make simple mistake??

I hope I didn't report a bug...please let me now!
Thanks
Frank

Mk2 40GB #090000592

#19484 - 05/10/2000 02:43 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: Ionic]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I think we've hit the ID3v1/v2 problem again.

What did you rip the tracks with?
Does anyone recall whether MP3 TagStudio does ID3v2?

In short, emplode will use v2 tags in preference to v1 tags. If your tagger doesn't recognise the v2 tags, they'll get out of step, and you'll see behaviour like that you're describing.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#19485 - 05/10/2000 07:04 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: Roger]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
No, MP3 Tag Studio versions 1.6 and 2.0 do not support V2 tags.

It will however appear in a later version, possibly V2.1.

Sounds like he's ripping with a V2 tag attached before working with TS.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#19486 - 05/10/2000 10:17 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: Ionic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yup, you've been bitten by the V1-V2 tag bug. I actually made sure to include mention of this in the FAQ entries on tagging/naming, so I'm surprised you didn't find it when searching the BBS.

My temporary solution was to open the troublesome files in MP3Trim, and immediately save them again. This removes the offending V2 tags.

The correct long-term solution is for the Empeg authors to work with the author of ID3Lib so that this problem can be handled gracefully on the Emplode side. The author of ID3Lib has expressed an interest in helping out.

(Yes, I know it's not Emplode's fault that the files are tagged wrong, so from a purist standpoint Emplode shouldn't need to take corrective action. But it would be the Right Thing To Do, don't you agree?)

#19487 - 05/10/2000 15:36 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: tfabris]
Ionic
journeyman

Okokok guys, I read about that v2/v1 -problem, also in the BBS, Tony. But as I understood it, in case v2-tags exist, emplode gives them a higher priority than v1-tags... but I checked few of the files...and they had NO id3v2-tag! :(
So what now? My idea was, finding a mass tag converter which converts id3v1- to id3v2-tags or a tool mass clearing all v2-tags.... but... I was kinda unsuccessfull, found merely a shareware tool called DrTag which is quiet slow... and can't deal with subfolders automatically (*gulp* I have alphabetical subfolders....)..
any other ideas/comments?

Frank

Mk2 40GB #090000592

#19488 - 05/10/2000 15:49 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: Ionic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

But as I understood it, in case v2-tags exist, emplode gives them a higher priority than v1-tags...

Exactly. That's the source of your problem. Emplode is using the V2 tags, which, on your files, are wrong. You spent a lot of time making sure the V1 tags are OK, only to have Emplode ignore them.

but I checked few of the files...and they had NO id3v2-tag!

Your description of the problem indicates that the troublesome files did, in fact, have V2 tags in them somewhere. If they hadn't, they would have worked OK. What software did you use to check whether or not they had V2 tags?

My idea was, finding a mass tag converter which converts id3v1- to id3v2-tags or a tool mass clearing all v2-tags...

That's exactly what you need to do. However, I only know about tools which will do it one-file-at-a-time. Does anyone else know about a mass-V2-tag-clearing program?

Hey, Empeg guys, is there any solution to this planned in the near future?

Or, as an alternative, is there any way you could simply add a check box to Emplode's configuration menu that says "ignore V2 tags" or "only use V1 tags" or something? I know that you're at the mercy of the ID3LIB stuff, but don't you have an old version of it laying around, back from when you only supported V1 tags?

Maybe it could be like this:

if (V1only == TRUE)
{ use old ID3LIB code; }
else
{ use new ID3LIB code; }

Or am I just insane?

#19489 - 05/10/2000 17:45 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: tfabris]
dtrounce
journeyman

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Tony asked "Does anyone else know about a mass-V2-tag-clearing program?"

Yep - the pro version of mp3trim (mp3trim pro) does this via drag-n-drop. However, though it processes subdirectories, it only goes one level down, so you need to spend time dragging each set of album directories for each artist you have :-( However, doing 10-40 files at once is better than doing 1 file at a time :-)

This is what I use to clean out v2 tags after ripping with easy-cdda-extractor and editing with mp3-tag-studio-2... I got bit with this one too.

#19490 - 05/10/2000 18:14 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: dtrounce]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yep - the pro version of mp3trim (mp3trim pro) does this via drag-n-drop.

Thanks. I have added that information to the two FAQ entries which linked MP3Trim (and corrected the links to Jean's new web page).

I got bit with this one too.

If memory serves, you were the first to report the bug, in fact.

#19491 - 05/10/2000 18:17 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: Ionic]
Squid2k1

Loc: Ocean Floor
I seem to be having the same problem. However, it only messes up on certain ones. On all the songs I uploaded, I used MP3 Tag Studio 2.0. It seems that if the Track Number field is set to 0, it will mess up. If the track number is set to something besides 0, it seems to work fine. At least on the 2 albums that it did this to, the track number is set to 0. The others have their track numbers set to what they should be. I will redo the tags and try uploading again....Hmm, no it still does the same thing....Oh well...looks like i need to redo some tags...sigh...

#19492 - 05/10/2000 19:45 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: Roger]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

What did you rip the tracks with?
Does anyone recall whether MP3 TagStudio does ID3v2?

Unfortunately, not yet.. The only short-term solution is to use a different program to kill the id3v2 tags..
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#19493 - 06/10/2000 01:16 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: tfabris]
Ionic
journeyman

In reply to:

Your description of the problem indicates that the troublesome files did, in fact, have V2 tags in them somewhere. If they hadn't, they would have worked OK. What software did you use to check whether or not they had V2 tags?

I used the following tools to check whether the files contain id3v2-tag or not:
MpTagger v.1.6
DrTag v.1.6
id3v2 Tag Editor beta 4

Frank

Mk2 40GB #090000592

#19494 - 06/10/2000 09:00 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: dtrounce]
Squid2k1

SO is the problem having v2 tags which means i need to remove all v2 tags and just keep v1? I mean, Dr Tag v1.6 says it supports IDv2 tags but using that did not fix the other users problem.

Thanks.

#19495 - 06/10/2000 10:09 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: Squid2k1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

SO is the problem having v2 tags which means i need to remove all v2 tags and just keep v1?

No, the only problem is having incorrect v2 tags but correct V1 tags. If you have properly maintained V2 tags, you don't need to get rid of them, they're fine.

The problem only happens when you pour blood/sweat/tears into maintaining V1 tags with a V1-only-capable editor which leaves the V2 tags alone. If you've been using a V2-capable editor all along, then there's no problem.

#19496 - 06/10/2000 10:54 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: tfabris]
Squid2k1

Okay. Then I found the tool to use: Dr. Tag v1.6. It fixed my problems. FIrst I clear out v2 tags, then tell it to copy the v1 to v2, use the auto track number tool, set the genre, and voila! Goes into the empeg just fine! http://www.asterius.de/drtag/

#19497 - 06/10/2000 10:56 Re: Emplode re-tagging files?? [Re: Ionic]
Squid2k1

Dr. Tag works fine with subfolders. I have Artist\Album directory structure and it worked great.