Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20247 - 12/10/2000 20:48 Why aren't my tracks in the correct order?
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I took care to put the track number in all of my file names so that when I dragged them to Emplode they would be in the correct order. But as far as I can tell Emplode pretty much ramdomized the track order in all of my playlists. I can't see any rhyme or reason to how they are ordered. And it's not just the sorting of the list box in Emplode, the position fields are all wrong. I verified that I don't have the randomise option checked for my playlists nor do I have shuffle enabled on the empeg.

I have my mp3's organized in a Artist\Album\Track hierarchy. In Windows explorer I was selecting items at the Artist level. I thought that since the tracks themselves were in subdirectories this would avoid the file ordering idiosyncracy of Windows when doing multiple selections.

What's going on? Bug or user error?

-Dylan

Edited by Dylan on 13/10/00 05:06 AM.

#20248 - 12/10/2000 21:00 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Dylan]
Dylan
addict

Post deleted by Dylan

#20249 - 12/10/2000 21:29 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Dylan]
Dylan
addict

I've got more data. I used a tool called Tag&Rename on some of my MP3's before I decided that I prefer MP3 Tag Studio. It seems that only the files touched by Tag&Rename have this problem. I've confirmed with Dr. Tag that these files only have ID3v1 tags.

I've tried regenerating the tags with MP3 Tag Studio. I still get the problem. But I did notice something interesting. The status box of MP3 Tag Studio gives a list of all files touched by the last operation. This list is in the same order as Emplode!

(Continuing to investigate...)

-Dylan

#20250 - 13/10/2000 04:22 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Dylan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Windows drag-and-drop is a bit strange. If you multiple select, it lists the files in the correct order, but with the one you pick up at the top of the list.

Also, the import is done in the order that the files are listed on disk, if it's recursive - not the sort order in Explorer.

We might have to release a v1.02 at some point, in which case, there's a fix for this behaviour in it.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#20251 - 13/10/2000 05:56 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Roger]
Dylan
addict

Also, the import is done in the order that the files are listed on disk, if it's recursive - not the sort order in Explorer.

I figured this out last night when I saw that going to a DOS prompt and doing a "dir" listed the files in the same order as Emplode.

We might have to release a v1.02 at some point, in which case, there's a fix for this behaviour in it.

I ended up tediously deleting and recreating my playlists in the correct order by using Ctrl-A to select tracks at the file level and then drag them into Emplode. It was a major pain in the ass and a fix would certainly be appreciated by me. I'd like to see Emplode have the option to order the playlist based on the track field in the ID3 tag. At the minimum, though, resorting the recursive import alphabetically (based on OS filename) would sure be nice. If I hadn't been so tired last night I was going to write a program to destroy and recreate each file in my MP3 hierarcy so that they would be listed by the OS in alphabetical order.

-Dylan

#20252 - 13/10/2000 07:39 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Dylan]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
the import is done in the order that the files are listed on disk
I ended up tediously deleting and recreating my playlists in the correct order

Of course I don't know how you're ripping, but I mostly do so a complete CD at a time, which causes all tracks to be created sequentially. Also, they retain their order when the complete folder they reside in, is dropped into emplode.

How do you pick your tracks for copying into emplode?
You might try copying complete folders across, especially when you have the standard Artist -> Album -> Track layout. Emplode then fills its tags for Artist / Album from the MS-Win foldernames.

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#20253 - 13/10/2000 07:53 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Dylan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I'd like to see Emplode have the option to order the playlist based on the track field in the ID3 tag..

You know exactly what I'm going to say: Wait for v1.1...

I suppose I could put "track number" in the "Set Playlist Order" dialog in v1.0. I'll look...

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#20254 - 13/10/2000 08:17 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Dylan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Until there's a fix for this behavior in Emplode, there is a way you can drag-and-drop your albums onto Emplode in the correct order.

The description of this procedure is here.

#20255 - 13/10/2000 11:53 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Henno]
Dylan
addict

Of course I don't know how you're ripping, but I mostly do so a complete CD at a time, which causes all tracks to be created sequentially. Also, they retain their order when the complete folder they reside in, is dropped into emplode.

I, too, rip entire CD's at a time. And ones where I didn't rename the files are fine. But at one point I redid my directory structure using a tool called Tag&Rename. It apparently created the files in each folder in some bizzare order. I'll never use that tool again. :(

-Dylan

#20256 - 13/10/2000 12:08 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Henno]
Squid2k1

Loc: Ocean Floor
Emplode then fills its tags for Artist / Album from the MS-Win foldernames
Is this correct? I thought it would look at the tags in the MP3. Or am I mis-interpreting your statement?

I use the same file structure (Artist\Album\songs.mp3). I use Dr. Tag to edit the tags, then in Windows Explorer I copy over whole directories (CTRL-C is king!). The order is in the correct order.

Also, I transferred a whole gig in about 40 mins (give or take as I did not write down the times) over Ethernet!

#20257 - 13/10/2000 15:18 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Dylan]
Henno
addict

I redid my directory structure using (..) Tag&Rename. It apparently created the files in each folder in some bizzare order. I'll never use that tool again. :(

Funny. I've been using T&R since I first got my Mk1 (way before Tony joined this board ) and it has never messed up the sequence of the tracks. Actually, I find its capability to edit a tag and move to the next one while it commits the changes all in one click, very useful. I don't think there's one track among the 2862 on my Mk2 that hasn't been touched by T&R, and all tracks are still in the correct sequence.

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#20258 - 13/10/2000 15:25 Re: Why aren't my tracks in the correct order? [Re: Squid2k1]
Henno
addict

Emplode then fills its tags for Artist / Album from the MS-Win foldernames
Is this correct? I thought it would look at the tags in the MP3.

We're both right: emplode tries to use the tags for populating its database, but will substitute filename info when it cannot find any. Thus, the player will use the tag info for the MP3 tracks, and the folder info for 'artist' and 'album'. By copying the 'artist' folder onto emplode, it'l set up 'artist' and 'album' tags automatically; copy the tag info, and keep the tracks in their original sequence. (That is if you have an 'artist' -> 'album' type structure under Windows).

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6