Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212922 - 21/04/2004 23:21 Re: Insane empeg over-security? [Re: MHC]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Haha, no approaching storm. I drive a wagon, so the trunk is totally open (and I don't use the silly vinyl pull-over cover thingey). I *do* put it in my friends' trunks if I meet them somewhere and I can't bring it in.

There's a storage bay un my trunk, but too shalow for the full Pelican case. A shame. And when (if) I get a custom fiberglass (bling bling) mounted sub in there, no room will be left.

Oh, and Tony, I did manage to bring it into a concert last weekend. A classical music concert at my old college where everyone knew me. And at the afterparty, it DJ'ed for probably 6 hours with only 1 intervention; to change the mood when it got to 3am.

And I remembered the #1 thing that forced me to leave my empeg in the car. The hospital. I never even dared try to bring it into the hospital during my daily visits throughout the 6 month period when a family member was in there. So, I still need enough nerve to bring it in hospitals, nursing homes, (fancy) restaurants, movie theaters, hikes, and on a date with a girl who doesn't already know I'm clearly insane.

#212923 - 22/04/2004 10:53 Re: Insane empeg over-security? [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I never even dared try to bring it into the hospital
I'm curious why?

#212924 - 22/04/2004 22:45 Re: Insane empeg over-security? [Re: tfabris]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
I think there are two things to consider about empeg security:

Firstly, ask yourself what you would do if you had a pile of cash the same value of the empeg, tied up in a neat bundle. For me, leaving even a $20 note showing in the car is a no-no, so leaving something worth over $1000 is absolutely crazy.

Secondly, ask yourself how you would get a new one. Sure, you might not worry if your sunglasses were stolen - they might cost $200 (for top-quality Oakleys or something like that) but you can go down to a local store and get a new pair. Try - just try - looking around for a second-hand empeg and you'll realise these now have far more value in your hand than what you might have paid for it originally.

OK, so it might be an inconvenience. There are always ways of optimising time - such as taking it to the gym and putting it in your bag which you put beside your bike or whatever. But always remember the inconvenience of not having the empeg will always outweigh these other minor problems.

JM1.5cW,

Paul

#212925 - 22/04/2004 22:51 Re: Insane empeg over-security? [Re: PaulWay]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Paul: So true. And if I DID have to get a new one, I'd have to wait ALL that time as it uploaded nine hundred hours of PaulWay mixes!!

Tony: I don't know why I never *try* to bring it in these places. Like the hospital, I'd hate to have any of the many staff potentially question me and cause a big scene. They are worried enough about cell phones disrupting their machines, I think they'd get pretty freaked out if they saw me walk in with some high-tech-lookin' instrument case. Ah, well, next time I have to visit someone in the hospital, I'll suck it up and try to bring it in.

#212926 - 23/04/2004 08:24 Re: Insane empeg over-security? [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I went to the hospital recently, and despite the fact that they are or at least used to be concerned about cell phones, they now have pagers a la restaurant pagers to let you know when to go somewhere. It was nice, but it seems hard to believe that they wouldn't also cause problems. I mean, I can come up with answers, but it still seems odd.

#212927 - 23/04/2004 09:12 Re: Insane empeg over-security? [Re: wfaulk]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I went to the hospital recently, and despite the fact that they are or at least used to be concerned about cell phones, they now have pagers a la restaurant pagers to let you know when to go somewhere. It was nice, but it seems hard to believe that they wouldn't also cause problems. I mean, I can come up with answers, but it still seems odd.
Not really that odd: the pagers they give you most likely don't have a transmiter, and receive signals from antenae operating on a known frequency with a known power level.

I know that my two-way pager will cause disruptions on my monitor and noises from my computer speaker when it calls out to the system. I imagine they're concerned with what might happen with much more sensitive hospital equipment. Probably nothing, but they certainly don't want to take that risk.

Of course, if people would use cell phones in a more considerate manner, they'd probably open up a few safe areas in the hospital to use them.

-jk

#212928 - 23/04/2004 10:49 Re: Insane empeg over-security? [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Like the hospital, I'd hate to have any of the many staff potentially question me and cause a big scene.
Exactly. And the point I'm trying to make is... I've never had anyone question me about the empeg, no matter where I took it. You're thinking that employees at these places are more nosy than they really are. For the most part, they couldn't care less.

And if someone does question you, you can simply say "it's my car stereo". If they want proof, then it takes about 3 seconds to open the case and politely show them that it's just your car stereo and nothing to be concerned about.

(Or you could look at it as an opportunity to show off your toy, depending on what kind of mood you're in. )

Now I'll agree that a pelican case might get more attention than an empeg bag (or a gameboy bag or a camera bag or whatever kind of softcase you've cobbled together). So if you're truly concerned about not being able to bring it into hospitals or concerts, then get a soft case and be done with it.

#212929 - 24/04/2004 13:58 Trunk! [Re: FireFox31]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
Funny, I used to be NUTZ about my empeg, but after 2 years (holy crap, has it been that long?!) I'm a little more casual about my security.

At home I take it inside. When I'm at the gym or some other 'questionable' location I'll put it in my trunk (it's a fairly tough trunk, and I tend to avoid places that have more 'serious' break-ins. My car doesn't have a 'trunk release' in the passenger compartment.

Come to think of it, I don't know of a single E36 3 series owner having had their stereo stolen from a locked car....

#212930 - 24/04/2004 15:20 Re: Trunk! [Re: elvis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've had thieves pry into the trunk area of my hatchback with a crowbar, even when the stereo was pulled out of the dash. They got the rear speakers and amp that way.

There are also thieves who will "case" a parking lot, watching who's going in and estimating the amount of time they will spend inside. They watch you store that thing in the trunk and it's all over.

You get lax about security, that's when they'll get ya...

#212931 - 24/04/2004 21:20 Re: Trunk! [Re: tfabris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
You get lax about security, that's when they'll get ya...
Sure hope not... I keep forgetting to lock my front door.

#212932 - 26/04/2004 09:18 Re: Trunk! [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Remind me not to move to California.

#212933 - 26/04/2004 09:54 Re: Trunk! [Re: canuckInOR]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Sure hope not... I keep forgetting to lock my front door

I'll go one better, more than once I have forgotten to close the front door at 3AM when I left to go fishing...

#212934 - 26/04/2004 23:07 Re: Trunk! [Re: davec]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

I have forgotten to close the front door
My comment was actually a just meant as a tongue-in-cheek reference, but I've been duly one-upped.

#212935 - 27/04/2004 07:19 Re: Trunk! [Re: elvis]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I'm actually lax comparitively as well. I NEVER leave the empeg in my car for a whole day, but if I'm going into a resturant for a few minutes I often put it in the trunk. I realize that some here have had theives get them while they were only gone for a few minutes, but I don't hear of many people around here having many problems with stuff getting stolen from there cars. If I'm at all comfortable I take it inside, but there are loads of places I just can't see theives breaking in my window, much less taking the time to get into the trunk. Of course, I believe Texas has the death penalty for car stereo theft these days . . .

What it comes down to is that I've made a decision that in some instances, the risk is low enough that it is not worth it to take the empeg with me, especially considering what a clutz I am. I know there's always the potential for it to get stolen, but there's also the potential for it to get banged up or dropped, especially if I'm going somwhere rough. And if I'm going to speak to a client in a formal meeting it's really hard to imagine taking in any kind of case and feeling comfortale about it. And for those who met me at the Texas meet last year, I DO finally have a case for it!

#212936 - 27/04/2004 23:47 Re: Trunk! [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

I've made a decision that in some instances, the risk is low enough that it is not worth it to take the empeg with me, especially considering what a clutz I am. I know there's always the potential for it to get stolen, but there's also the potential for it to get banged up or dropped
Or, as happened in one case noted on the forum somewhere, left behind!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2