Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#216915 - 24/05/2004 04:13 Karma or iRiver H140?
ngchol
stranger

If the Karma held 40Gb it would be a really, really easy decision.... but i have about 35Gb of playlisted material (out of 80Gb) on my empeg, so 20Gb is not enough. Should I wait and see if a higher-capacity Karma comes out, or will I be waiting forever? I understand that the iRiver uses the same 1.8"-type HDD as the Karma, so the lack of any news about a bigger version suggests that Rio may start losing sales to iRiver needlessly...

#216916 - 24/05/2004 10:15 Re: Karma or iRiver H140? [Re: ngchol]
daPyr0x
stranger

If I remember correctly, the Karma does use a smaller drive that is not yet available in 40gb size, but the Karma 2 (which has been shown off at conventions and I know I've seen pictures, well, somewhere...) has been resized to be able to fir a 40gb drive - though the specs haven't been released (to my knowledge)

Either way, my personal recommendation would be to steer clear of the iRiver. I bought one at first, kept it for a few weeks, eventually got tired of how godforsakenly slow it was, and returned it for a Karma.

It has some very nice features (Optical and Analog in/out, comes with a case and a wired remote, etc)....but the machine itself wasn't up to par in my standards in that it took a long time to boot up, and a long time between tracks. If you're like me and skip tracks until one you feel like listening to comes on....not for you.