Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224593 - 15/02/2004 23:53 Central and Mac?
adam
Quiet One

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but:
Can I connect my Rio Central to a Mac?
If so what do I need to get it working with OSX and how?
many thanks from another newbie

#224594 - 16/02/2004 09:52 Re: Central and Mac? [Re: adam]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
You should be able to use jemplode on the central now.

Matt

#224595 - 16/02/2004 11:20 Re: Central and Mac? [Re: adam]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You need an ethernet connection to the central. This is accomplished by connecting one of the supported USB-to-ethernet adapters to the Central's USB port. Search this BBS for models of usb-to-ethernet adapters that others have successfully used.

Then you can use Jemplode, but it must be the latest JAR file.

#224596 - 16/02/2004 11:57 Re: Central and Mac? [Re: tfabris]
adam
Quiet One

Thanks very much. I tried Jemplode before but probably with an earlier version and/or faulty usb adapter. I'll give this a shot.

#224597 - 22/02/2004 17:18 Follow up [Re: adam]
adam
Quiet One

The only USB-ethernet adaptor I could find today was a not specificaly supported Linksys 100 USB100M. I thought I'd give it a shot. The lights come on. Something seems to be happening but jEmplode (v54) says No Devices Found. Before I return this and go online to order a supported adaptor, I'm just wondering if there's something I might be missing or should try. The "Network Configuration" menu on the Central just offers Home PNA, not Ethernet. Any suggestions/help much appreciated. . .

#224598 - 23/02/2004 11:18 Re: Follow up [Re: adam]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If the lights come on, that's a good sign. Doesn't mean the adaptor is working for sure, but it's a start.

Next thing is to make sure everything is set up correctly in the network adapter screen ('external adapter' is what I seem to recall it says on that screen). Make sure you understand how IP networking works, and set the proper IP address and netmask for the Central in that screen. Then see if you can ping it.

If you can ping it, then the network adapter is working and all you have to do is get the configuration right. I seem to recall someone else on this BBS getting stuck because there's a setting somewhere in the networking screens about allowing emplode to connect via ethernet and/or setting the ethernet password for emplode. So make sure that's set, too.

If you still can't get it to work, please post details of all your network settings (PC, Jemplode, and Central) and your network topology (hubs routers cabling etc).

#224599 - 25/02/2004 23:59 Re: Follow up [Re: adam]
geeknerd

I've gotten a pegasus family adapter to work. You have to drop to a shell (3 finger salute with usb keyboard) and type "insmod pegasus" and then exit the shell. You can see if it's already loaded by typing "lsmod". If pegasus is already loaded, you can just exit.

Of course that assumes you have the software configured properly as tfabris mentioned.

#224600 - 26/02/2004 20:48 Re: Follow up [Re: geeknerd]
adam
Quiet One

Geeknerd & TFabris--
Thanks for the advice. Been out of town and haven't had a chance to try to work all this out. I'll report back over the weekend. Thanks again. --A.