Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#241620 - 08/03/2005 19:22 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
belezeebub
addict

I "THINK" I still have the cad drawings from when I did this let me look around (once again "THINK" is the word you need to key in on.

I hope you finished it but I do think its funny that your design is ending up to look just like the one I did last year (my cost per item in 25 Unit Lots was 75 Each Unfinished or about 100 finished and shipped) I don't remember what the handle was costing me off the top of my head.

Quote:
Actually, hold that thought. We may be ok. I'll update again as soon as I can, but we may have solved the problem.

Edited by belezeebub (08/03/2005 19:23)
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#241621 - 08/03/2005 19:56 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: belezeebub]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
If nobody's volunteered, I hereby offer to be the official librarian for the CAD files. I have a full seat of Solidworks (the package the parts were designed in) and already have the buttons, thanks to Firefox31. What is the 'official' status of permission on using/editing/posting of these files?

-Zeke

#241622 - 10/03/2005 23:28 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: belezeebub]
Qtqc
stranger

I dont wanna change the topic to much. But belezeebub what kind of fascia's did you make? you got any pics of the finished product

#241623 - 11/03/2005 09:00 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: Qtqc]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
There is a picture of his prototype right at the end of this thread:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat....true#Post215726

#241624 - 16/03/2005 23:22 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: andy]
Qtqc
stranger

Nice looking fascia, to bad it didn't work out. Hopefully Webroach can get his off the ground, speaking of witch, Webroach any news?

#241625 - 17/03/2005 00:12 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: Qtqc]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Brandon is actually going to test the new version of our design file tomorrow or Friday. At least that's the current report from him.

This project has made me believe in the concept of the philosopher's stick.

#241626 - 21/03/2005 23:26 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
Qtqc
stranger

Awesome, looks like the wheels are in motion. Keep us updated, you know Im desperatling waiting.

#241627 - 04/04/2005 00:33 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
Qtqc
stranger

Webroach, any updates at all, Im going crazy over here. J/K

#241628 - 06/04/2005 17:44 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: belezeebub]
belezeebub
addict

Sorry I searched about 10 different SDLT tapes and I looks like I forgot the make a backup of the soild designer files

P.S. New Web Site up http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#241629 - 20/04/2005 14:21 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
Glen_L

Loc: Elk Grove, CA
Any news?

#241630 - 20/04/2005 14:38 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: Glen_L]
webroach
old hand

Not much at the moment, other than to say that the project is not, in any way, dead. Not even wounded.

It's just a very busy time. Finals in Japanese and Linguistics are whupping my ass. Not to mention the other classes. Should be back to speed fairly soon though; school is done in 3 weeks.

BTW: Nice little emoticon.

#241631 - 16/05/2005 23:42 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
Qtqc
stranger

Anything up?

#241632 - 28/05/2005 00:06 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: Qtqc]
peakmop
journeyman

Loc: 384400 km from the Moon
I think the better question would be "How were the exam finals?"

#241633 - 28/05/2005 05:30 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: peakmop]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
I think the better question would be "How were the exam finals?"

Thanks much, that's precisely it. I bit off almost more than I could chew this past semester. Almost. Things got so stressful a few weeks ago that I actually lost it a little; did nothing for about a week but play Grand Theft Auto. Refused to do classwork....

Pulled through fine, though.

I hadn't had much time to get together with Brandon since last I posted updates, as he too was busy with school / finals. We were hoping to get together this past Wednesday, but that didn't really pan out. So we're shooting for next week.

The maddening thing about all this is that we've got very little left to go, prototyping-wise. The biggest problem we have is scheduling, in more ways than one. School has, obviously, been the meat of it. The other half is that our project takes low (read "zero") priority at the shop. They do HUGE runs, so from a financial standpoint, we're not on their radar. We're tryng to work with them to get off-hours time to get the prototypes done. Once we have those finished (and finished), we'll shoot a few to a number of people from the board for "field testing". We want real life feedback before committing the design to a large run.

So there you have it, as it currently stands. Sorry I haven't been better about keeping info updated. I'm only taking one class over the summer, so I'll have a lot more time to work on things like this.

I think I'm going to also need to buy a set of something blue from "He Who Breaks The Curse", too. You know, just to make sure we have the fit right.

#241634 - 03/06/2005 02:35 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
peakmop
journeyman

Hey Dave, that's good news.
Once you are not too busy stealing cars on Grand Theft Auto this summer and get some prototypes for alpha testing, put me down on the testers list. I'll be disassembling my spare unit anyways for Patrick's memory board upgrade.

#241635 - 05/07/2005 01:33 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
Qtqc
stranger

Anything new to report?

#241636 - 10/07/2005 00:47 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: Qtqc]
peakmop
journeyman

Be patient, it's not like we cannot live without fascias.
We survived without lit buttons for years, though now I'll probably be quite miserable without them

By the way, webroach, anything to report?

#241637 - 10/07/2005 09:32 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: peakmop]
webroach
old hand

Of a sort... There are a few details in another thread.

#241638 - 24/10/2005 02:43 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
peakmop
journeyman

I'm guessing that this project is still alive. I know that the other metal fascias are taking all the hype, but I'm still very much interested in having a fascia that accepts original buttons. Not that I'm not interested in the other fascia also

#241639 - 25/10/2005 03:42 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: peakmop]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I'm also interested in a new fascia that accepts the original buttons. It would be great to hear how the project is coming along. Being an empeg owner does teach you patience. These projects do take time.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#241640 - 26/10/2005 20:14 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: Waterman981]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
These projects do take time.

Very true, they do take time. Ironically, what takes the most time is finding the time to work on them. School, as always, is a real time-suck.

As it stands right now, I don't know where the project is. I really don't want to put any more money in it if Speedy has designs (pun intended) on putting out a standard button version of his fascia. Just wouldn't make sense, and he would, I imagine, be able to put his out more quickly. If Speedy has no plans of doing this, I'll keep crawling forward.

That being said...

WOW. I am SOOOOO buying one of Speedy's NewNewFace fascias as soon as they're available.

Just... wow.

#241641 - 28/10/2005 23:08 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
What would be awesome is having your button cutouts on Speedy's Newnewface along with a set of black buttons from Firefox31. <Homer>Aaaarrrggghhh</Homer>

I'll come back and check this forum once I've had a cold shower followed by a meeting with my bank manager.

#241642 - 02/11/2005 19:34 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: AndrewT]
Qtqc
stranger

Could someone post a link to Speedy's new fascia?

#241643 - 03/11/2005 05:59 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: Qtqc]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Nothing official that I know of, but look here and here.

#241644 - 17/11/2005 21:38 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: webroach]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Don't forget something here: the "world" happened over the time that both of you have been working on this project, independently.

Thomas was actually unaware that you were working on your version. When I spoke to him only a week or so back, he was quite bothered by the fact that two people have put a lot of effort into doing something that is essentially the same, but with a limited market. There isn't a hell of a lot of room for two fascia projects - but I sure hope so: what I hope is that they complement each other, and find their own independent niches and sell to different people.

No doubts here: having watched Patrick hatch two "sure fire winners" for the empeg, he has lost money, suffered agonies getting it out the door, been messed about on "definite" orders that weren't, all sorts of problems that we shouldn't really go into, I know for certain that there is no money in this at all. My minor contributions to the empeg player are trivial compared to what this guy - and others - have done.

So to cut to the chase - if you are thinking of doing anything relating to empeg as an add on, or (in mine, and possibly Stuart's experience) repair work, then you are not in it for the money/profit/fame - bollocks to that! You are going to make a loss, it's that simple. You have to do it out of sheer altruism for the community here.

Each year, I agonise over running the empeg owner's meet. Each year, I sweat, panic, palpitate, work hard, grind, panic, panic, panic, sweat. Why? Because in the end, no matter how much hassle the event was, I end up with a great feeling that I have done something good for my friends. I see people come over from the states, from GNW*, and they go home with a grin in spite of the fact that I have spent the weekend worrying about how much it will cost them for what is in the end, a glorified pissup.

Every time I get in a repair from someone whose power supply has released "the blue smoke of life" I panic because if I can't fix it, then the owner is going to have such a big hole in their lives that it won't be easy to fill it again (luckily I have not had a failure yet - but the chance is there ).

So, after all this rambling, what's the point of the story?

If you are going to do this fascia, then you have 100% encouragement from me. I can't guarantee that I am going to buy one: I can't promise you will make a profit: but I certainly think that if you come over to a user meet to show off your wares, then you will get my personal support and promotion: you will have the chance of selling some of the babies you have spent so much time working on: maybe you will even make some money. You won't get your costs back: you won't be famous and win an Oscar - but guess what: you will be known inside this community, and respected for what you have done.

So, in no particular order:

Darkstorm lenses - prized by their owners, even if Steve isn't around to know it.
Mach - lenses, ultra-violet LEDs and a beautiful front panel, plus mini models in clay.
Patrick - the tuner module and the memory expansion board - plus he DESIGNED the bloody thing in the first place!
Stuart - the SPDIF boards, cables, repairs, parts - the works
Tim Linke - the original NewFace
Thomas (speedy67) - picked up the colour and ran with it
Yourself (webroach) - for having done something similar
Mark Lord - for the HiJack kernel, and the Docks
Frank van Gestel - for the original remote control app for empeg
Paul Harrington - for setting up this BBS
Tom (drakino) - for taking over the board and putting up with death threats!
Tony Fabris - for the Logo editor and for the BEST EVER FAQ IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE
Hugo Fiennes - for coming up with the idea in the first place
Mike Crowe - for sitting up sending me updates for my Mk 1 at 2AM, for goodness sakes!
Toby Duckworth - for producing the visible face of the empeg, the visuals (and he still won't accept that it was good work!)
Peter - oh, Peter - for all those good builds!
Dave English - for producing the last ever software build we are going to see
John Graley - too numerous to mention - but the Auto EQ just blows me away
Rob Voisey - for holding the whole thing together in the face of insanity
Paul Grzelak - for sheer generosity
Rob Riccardeli - for just being cool
skunknumber1 - animated logos

- aw, hell, the lot of you!

You lot, you idiots - for making this place a worthwhile place to visit. You are all my friends, even though I've not met you yet. There's always next year's meet

I am missing a lot of people here, I know: it is late at night. Do me a favour people, and complete this honour roll yourselves because my memory is not infallible - there are other people who need their names here. Maybe we should have "empegs" each year, like the Oscars (TM)). If I have missed your name, it is because I have a bad memory, not because I am slighting you.

At the empeg meet this year I lost my temper for reasons we do not need to go into. The primary drive behind what I said at the meeting was a sense of frustration, and also sadness at what I perceived was happening here on this board: the gradual dwindling of support and enthusiasm.

Sure, we've said everything we can say. We've made all the things we can make - for the empeg. But who knows? And why stop? My message was - since this is a group of friends, then we should all make the strongest effort to ensure that this community continues. To do this, we must *all*, regardless of the pain and effort, continue to make this community grow. Without goals and without enthusiasm, the future of this board, and the empeg player, is in the end - oblivion. Without growth, an organism dies. Without a sense of what the future can bring, there is no expectation, or motivation, to continue. My message at the meet was: All of you who attend - I want you to go away and spread the message of enthusiasm and comradeship. I want you to inspire. I want you to drive on. I want you to - dammit, make front panels, moulded buttons, new handles, illumination kits, SPDIF boards - whatever! But keep doing it. If there remains passion, then there will remain a community.

This summer, I am committing to setting up the very BEST ever empeg owner's meet. I want YOU to be there. I want YOU to put in the effort to bring the Best Install. I want YOU to bring along your cool project, no matter how much it cost you in money and effort. I want YOU to put in the effort, because this community is worth it.

Go for it!

* GNW: God Knows Where.

#241645 - 17/11/2005 22:39 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: schofiel]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Thanks also to:

Mike Schrag for JEmplode
Tony Cebzanov for Emphatic
Rob Riccardeli for Black Sleds
Brian Mihulka for Original Buttons
Firefox31 (Chris?) for newer buttons.
Christian (Shonky) for a short run of extra sled harnesses
Mark Cushman for Palantir

and the list goes on...

#241646 - 18/11/2005 00:59 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Aw, shucks, thank you.

#241647 - 19/11/2005 00:19 Re: "Go or No" Time for New Fascias [Re: schofiel]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Amen. No fame or fortune, but it is kind of cool filling orders in 10 different countries all around the world.

Quote:
and find their own independent niches and sell to different people.

I've abandon my idea for New*Face / MKI colored buttons. So, if you want colored lit buttons with an aluminum fascia, webroach's are the way to go.

Bring 'em on, I can't wait.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7