Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#242285 - 24/11/2004 14:15 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It's too easy to forget how fragile life can be.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, Mike, but I'm glad to hear that you're alive and apparently in good spirits, and I hope you have a full and quick recovery.

It's also very heartening to hear your boss and your coworkers are helping out. I feel certain that I would not be so lucky here in the States.

The best of luck to you. Hopefully you've used up all your bad luck now.

#242286 - 24/11/2004 15:19 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Michael, I hope you're doing well. You're in my prayers. Sorry I didn't post earlier, but I don't frequent Off Topic so I almost missed this.

#242287 - 24/11/2004 20:08 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: tanstaafl.]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Since typing isstill somewhat laborious, I'll cheat and do a group thank you to ya'll.... Every word is really warming!

No fear- not gone and not going without a fight

If I can only give one piece of advice it won't be Wear Subscreen -that'f already been done---- If you've ever haf the slightest inkling you might have high BP, have an even the slightest stressfull siruation ----- go check your pressure!

Anyway, goal for this, spring is some auto-x'ing with the pug, so the lrft jhand better start to perform so it can steer while the right one occassionally assists with th handbrake

Abyone with ideas on tires? Brands?Differentt front/rear? Stock size on an RC is 205/40 -17"

7, remember it'sFW-drive!

n

#242288 - 24/11/2004 21:20 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Good to see you're back. I suppose I should self-apply your blood pressure admonishment and have mine checked again

#242289 - 24/11/2004 22:24 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I've been on blood pressure medication for over 20 years now so I know how important it is. Chances are if you are put on medication for it, you are on it for life and do not forget to take it or ever take yourself off of it. I have a kit to test my pressure at home and you learn to know the signs if your pressure is too high or drops too low. When first going on medication, it can be a bit trying until you find one that works for you without making you feel like you're dragging. If you continue to work out after all of this, just be careful of overheating and learn ways to cool yourself down quickly if need be.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#242290 - 25/11/2004 09:34 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
If you've ever haf the slightest inkling you might have high BP, have an even the slightest stressfull siruation ----- go check your pressure!

Ugh, thanks for reminding me!

It's time for my cocktail (a beta blocker, a calcium channel blocker and a diuretic) to be recalibrated, it does not seem to be working well any more...
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#242291 - 25/11/2004 09:52 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Good to see you're making progress, I went to the doctors yesterday (for something unrelated) and I got her to check my blood pressure and it appears to be normal.

My mum has slightly high BP and I sometimes worry about her as my grandmother died of a stroke caused by high blood pressure. It can be a real silent killer, I'm pretty sure it contributed to John Peels death.

Andy M

#242292 - 25/11/2004 14:51 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: andym]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it contributed to John Peels death.

John Peel.. sudden death.. Peru..

It seems highly likely he went out enjoying himself!

Rob

#242293 - 25/11/2004 16:31 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: rob]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it contributed to John Peels death.

John Peel.. sudden death.. Peru..

It seems highly likely he went out enjoying himself!

Rob

Yeah maybe, I read an interview with Andy Kershaw who was convinced he was in quite ill health before he went on holiday. He had high blood pressure and he was diabetic. He was also run down and highly stressed.
With Peru being high altitude, it probably won't do much good, plus a long haul flight for a man with bad circulation. Radio One were pushing him further into the night and at their last meeting he said to Andy: "I can't go on much longer, it's killing me"

Andy M

#242294 - 27/11/2004 01:05 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Michael, that sucks. I really am saddened to have read this news. I hope that you make a speedy recovery and can soon again fully grace this BBS with your wit and reason.

_EDIT_ Just seen your later posts! Glad to hear that you're making progress.

Edited by genixia (27/11/2004 01:07)

#242295 - 27/11/2004 07:06 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: genixia]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

First of all, for someone in hospital -- I'm feeling rediculously well . The docs have brought the BP down to a reasonable level arounde 120-130 over 80 (mmHg (?) and the workout regimen is firming up: walking along a handrail,forwars and backwards. "kneedipssp?",getting up on the toes, just standing balancing with minor disturbances (pushes/pressure) applied....

and the vision is trained by reading (started on Kosmos by Stephen Hawking) as the periphheral vision (to the left) isn't quite up to par (so right now, no driving :P Time for some anaconda time (hefty breakfast justt finished)

Me - worry? Noope...

#242296 - 27/11/2004 13:06 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Ah, I see that recovery goes remarkably well! A week more and you will be better than before this episode

Cheers!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#242297 - 27/11/2004 15:12 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Me - worry? Noope...

Good man, keep persevering, glad it's all progressing well.

#242298 - 27/11/2004 17:28 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: bonzi]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Current BP is around 120 over 80 and I'm probably switching to a more rehab oriented place in the coming week (here is mainly acute treatment and trying to figure out why (so I've been photographed pretty much inside out) with frequencies from ultrasound to xrays

Eye sight I can feel improve daily though Istll get the occasional double vision, like 2< SÄubmit buttons on the screen... But now the main thing is to get the left side goin again.

Arm and leg are already showing progress, but hand/fingers/foot are pretty much still out on lunch

#242299 - 27/11/2004 17:47 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Definitly glad to see you recovering well. Hopefully it will be your last hospital visit for a long while. Having also recently visited an emergency room, I do know they are not fun. Especially when the staff is having a hard time looking for things while you sit there bleeding, and becoming lightheaded from blood loss.

Not a week I ever want to repeat again.

#242300 - 28/11/2004 07:35 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: drakino]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Thi is the first time admitted since birth. Did a brief visit 2.5 years ago when I sprained my elbow after doing something stupid on a kickbike Hurt like hell for a couple of days, but nothing really out of place. Just took a couple of xrays of the elbow (boy was that fun as the nurse positioned the arm. Was considering punching her out with a left hook, but 1) I don't hit women, 2) she was after all trying to help and 3) she had plenty of backup )

#242301 - 29/11/2004 09:51 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Left side is slowly coming back. Walked a fair bit in the corridor with the aid of a "rollling table"+ 5-6 steps comlpetely without support (apart from moral...)) Left arm is progressing ok, hand also. still lot easier to yighten than to open up - feels like I'm telling the<muscles do both at the same time while they should only open....

#242302 - 29/11/2004 20:00 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Woah, reading this thread from start to now was a rollercoaster!

Sounds like you've been through the wars, as my family would say! I hope you have a full recovery and it progresses with no hitches, and I wish you all the patience it's mine to give. I'd reckon that times like this are pretty trying, especially when you don't see all the improvement you want or your situation is keeping you from the things you want to do. Take it easy and have fun as you go and you'll find that sooner or later everything comes good.

And if a mix would cheer you up, I'll make one specially for you!

All the best,

Paul

#242303 - 30/11/2004 01:53 Re: Status of mtempsch [Re: mtempsch]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
and 3) she had plenty of backup )

Michael, it is great to see that you can keep your sense of humor with respect to medicine/nurses and other things. Good to see you typing.

You have my permission to use this copyrighted line: "This guy Jim I know in the US maintains that nurses rule the world and are all, without exception, very, very sexy. What do you think?"

Let me know how that goes over.

I have been to Karolinska. Did I say that?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#242304 - 07/12/2004 10:22 Re: Statuup [Re: jimhogan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Quote:
Quote:
and 3) she had plenty of backup )

Michael, it is great to see that you can keep your sense of humor with respect to medicine/nurses and other things. Good to see you typing.

Long time no "official" update (didn't want to bore you with daily "small progress"), besides, I know that Tony would've been all over me for simply trying to inflate mt post coun;t) )

I can now walk decently without support - I'd say somewhat better than Boris Karloff in "Frankensteins monster" only the occasional blip in balance, psrticularly as I get tired, which is way too soon yet, keep me less than fully confident. Stairs are less of a problem as you tend to have a railing to help with balance. Leg/foot is powerful enough to manage the raising/lowering of the body weight

The arm is getting noticeably better, can controlled get the hand to chin, mouth, nose, as well as raise it overhead. Can use the hand for some gripping things, like the bottom of a 1/2 liter PET botle while the right hand unscrews the cap. What is the main remaining problem is strenght in and control of the fingers. As a group they work OK,but individually they're not too cooperative, so this is still typed with the right hand only.
Quote:
You have my permission to use this copyrighted line: "This guy Jim I know in the US maintains that nurses rule the world and are all, without exception, very, very sexy. What do you think?"Let me know how that goes over.

Will do if I ever work up the nerve...

As to the rule itself, ruling the world. no doubt whatsoever, but otherwise there are the few exceptions that more leads the thoughts to things like "BattleAxe" rather than "foxy, see "working up the nerve above";)"
I have been to Karolinska. Did I say that?

#242305 - 08/12/2004 04:28 Re: Statuup [Re: mtempsch]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Good to hear. Keep up the progress.

Did you, by any chance, take the opportunity to ask the doctor (or nurse) if you'll be able to play the violin when your healed?

#242306 - 08/12/2004 05:58 Re: Statuup [Re: canuckInOR]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

They expect a full recovery, so strictly according to muscle control, I should be able to ply the violin - unfortunately I couldn't before, and my utter lack of musical talent is a severly limiting factor though

#242307 - 08/12/2004 23:54 Re: Statuup [Re: mtempsch]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I should be able to ply the violin

Ah, like Jack Aubrey!

#242308 - 12/12/2004 10:41 Re: Status [Re: jimhogan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Quote:
Quote:
I should be able to ply the violin

Ah, like Jack Aubrey!
Null pointer error (and a quick google didn't connect either...

Pity about the musicality issue... otherwise I'd be happy to play second fiddle to Linda Lampenius)

#242309 - 12/12/2004 15:33 Re: Status [Re: mtempsch]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Quote:
Pity about the musicality issue... otherwise I'd be happy to play second fiddle to Linda Lampenius)

My own favourite is Vanessa Mae

She lives in England, so just a short hop from you!

Besides Nathan Milstein, Vanessa Mae is the only other violinist that I can listen to for extended periods.

#242310 - 12/12/2004 15:59 Re: Status [Re: mtempsch]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Ah, like Jack Aubrey!
Quote:
Null pointer error (and a quick google didn't connect either...

Ah, 'twas a bad spell-check/typo joke: O'Brian's Aubrey plied the waves and played the violin.

(boy, oh, boy, this BBS is getting spidered fast. I Googled on "jack aubrey violin" and added "ply" by mistake and this thread came right up...)

Quote:

Michael, you are not using music references as a device *just* to link photos of georgeous female fiddlers, are you? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

#242311 - 12/12/2004 16:50 Re: Status [Re: jimhogan]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Ah, like Jack Aubrey!

I would have picked Jack Benny, but maybe it's my age!
Great to hear that it's going to be a full recovery.

#242312 - 12/12/2004 17:23 Re: Status [Re: larry818]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
Besides Nathan Milstein, Vanessa Mae is the only other violinist that I can listen to for extended periods.

While I can listen to a variety of violinists for extended periods (in the wide range from Jean-Luc Ponty to Nigel Kennedy), Vannesa-Mae is certainly suitable to look at for any duration.

#242313 - 13/12/2004 15:54 Re: Status [Re: jimhogan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Quote:

Ah, 'twas a bad spell-check/typo joke: O'Brian's Aubrey plied the waves and played the violin.

So I realised, but it appears my google-fu isn't fully up to speed, found the gent, but not the violin stuff on him...

Quote:
(boy, oh, boy, this BBS is getting spidered fast. I Googled on "jack aubrey violin" and added "ply" by mistake and this thread came right up...)
Even google recognizes quality...

Quote:
Michael, you are not using music references as a device *just* to link photos of georgeous female fiddlers, are you? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

Who me!? banish the thought!! (not that I was unhappy about the link to Venessa Mae )

I swear, I'm gonna turn into a dirty old man when I get old[er] ...

#242314 - 13/12/2004 16:16 Re: Status 20041213 [Re: bonzi]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads

Slright, just moved to a rehab facility. The schedule is definately more loaded than at the hospital, but still fairly much open time - that changes over time though, sccording to my "cellmates" We're also expected to do alot more ourselves (as part of the rehab)than at the ospital.

Getting a good feeling about this from the members of the staff I've spoken to so far.

Had a blastlast friday, first a visit to my place of work, met the co-workers (decidedly not cow-orkers) and talked a lot. Then Xmas party with the company where I'm employed and met the colleagues (which happens rare enough even normally as most of us work as consultants outside our "home"-office)
Good food, nice climate "hiwattage daylight bulbs and 33 centigrade called for sunglasses indoors on a swedish winter night and prompted the question: "where's the poool()20041213

Slright, just moved to a rehab facility. The schedule is definately more loaded than at the hospital, but still fairly much open time - that changes over time though, sccording to my "cellmates" We're also expected to do alot more ourselves (as part of the rehab)than at the ospital.

Getting a good feeling about this from the members of the staff I've spoken to so far.

Had a blastlast friday, first a visit to my place of work, met the col-workers and talked a lot. Then Xmas party with the company where I'm employed and met the colleagues (which happens rare enough even normally as most of us work as consultants outside our "home"-office)
Good food, nice climate "hiwattage daylight bulbs and 33 centigrade called for sunglasses indoors on a swedish winter night and prompted the qyestion: "where's the poool"
as well as fun(mmore enthusiastic than good) karaoke. My voce isn't up to anything much other than punk, so a couple of old swedish punk classics were heard...

Back at the hospital around 00.30 in the morning/night, through the emergency room, as all other entrances are locked at night...

Lot's of fun!

Hand is slowly progressing - pressing it into service as muh as possible - can make it type a character or two, but it's still very much hit'n'miss as to what key actually gets hit... need
more strewngth in the fingers and wrist and back of the hand.( Better coordination/control wouldn't hurt either) "
as well as fun(mmore enthusiastic than good) karaoke. My voice isn't up to anything much other than punk, so a couple of old swedish punk classics were heard...

Back at the hospital around 00.30 in the morning/night, through the emergency room, as all other entrances are locked at night...

Lot's of fun!

Hand is slowly progressing - pressing it into service as muh as possible - can make it type a character or two, but it's still very much hit'n'miss as to what key actually gets hit... need
more srewngth in the fingers and wrist and back of the hand. Better coordination/control wouldn't hurt either:/

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >