Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248141 - 31/01/2005 10:06 Second head unit in BMW Mini?
ngchol
stranger

Has anyone managed this? I've just part exchanged my 2002 Cooper S for a new one with satnav. Unfortunately, the satnav requires the factory-installed radio/CD to receive traffic update information via TMC, which means I will have to keep it. Has anyone managed to get an Empeg as a second head unit into a BMW Mini? I've already asked over at mini2.com, but nobody sems to understand what I want to do....

#248142 - 31/01/2005 15:23 Re: Second head unit in BMW Mini? [Re: ngchol]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Has the BMW HU got a line in? Got a photo of the dash?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#248143 - 01/02/2005 09:09 Re: Second head unit in BMW Mini? [Re: schofiel]
ngchol
stranger

I'm pretty sure there is an input. There are some pictures of Mini dashboards here... http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60533

#248144 - 01/02/2005 09:52 Re: Second head unit in BMW Mini? [Re: ngchol]
seek
Quiet One

Loc: Southeast
Let's see..........you're gonna need the accessory aux input from the dealer so that you can connect the empeg.

There is room for a second hu below the toggle bank. You'll lose access to the front cupholders except for things like change. This is where I have mine. There is also room behind the driver's knee bolster.

#248145 - 01/02/2005 23:28 Re: Second head unit in BMW Mini? [Re: ngchol]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
There is an aux in adaptor available that connected to the cd changer input. I got mine from blitzsafe.

I thought about putting the empeg above the cup holder it looks like there would be enough room but there isn't really. If you modded the down tubes for the width the area under the climate controls is at a sharp angle. Also there isn't enough room to be able to pull the empeg out.

Do you have Harmon Kardon or not ? According to this guy they have an adaptor so you can replace the factory head unit if you have the nav system.

What I though of doing was replacing the glove box with the parcel shelf that is available outside of the usa but I couldn't find anyplace to buy one.

I don't have the nav system but I do have harmon kardon I finally just decided to replace the factory head unit and have the appointment next week to get the empeg installed.

If you have harmon kardon the amp and speakers would have to be replaced if you did put the empeg in there.

Matt

#248146 - 02/02/2005 06:49 Re: Second head unit in BMW Mini? [Re: msaeger]
ngchol
stranger

I've got the Radio-CD Boost, not the HK. I have to keep it or I'll lose the TMC facility on the satnav. (Of course, BMW have not released the specs for the TMC data feed, otherwise I could buy a programmable TMC module, remove the Boost and replace it with the empeg).