Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#250374 - 24/02/2005 20:58 Remote lead fused?
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Alright I havent posted here in ages. Today I was messing around with my amp connections and Im afraid I shorted the power from the battery to the remote lead, now the player doesnt work. I assume the lead isnt fused. Any idea on what I may have blown?

#250375 - 24/02/2005 22:38 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: acurasquirrel_]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Both AC mode and DC mode broken? Is it just the display, or no music at all? Can you get a boot log at all?

The constant power lead IS fused. The behavior would be like you describe. Fuse FAQ.

#250376 - 25/02/2005 00:50 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: JBjorgen]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Ok it works with an AC adapter just not the dock

#250377 - 25/02/2005 17:05 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: acurasquirrel_]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Then you've probably toasted something internally
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#250378 - 25/02/2005 21:44 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: schofiel]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Well the 3 amp fuse on the power is blown, rat shack only has 5 amp blade fuses. Any ideas where to pick one up. I assume its not a good idea to use a 5 amp to see if thats my only issue.

#250379 - 25/02/2005 21:54 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: acurasquirrel_]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Any auto parts store should carry them. Shouldn't be too expensive for a pack of them.

Matthew

#250380 - 26/02/2005 07:21 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: matthew_k]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Any auto parts store should carry them.

<pathetic nostalgy mode>I still remember when gas stations would carry stuff like that, instead of just fresh flowers, firewood and DVDs...</pathetic nostalgy mode>

#250381 - 26/02/2005 12:14 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: matthew_k]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Well i replaced the fuse and it turned the standby light on for a second or two before it blew again. Any ideas here?

#250382 - 26/02/2005 16:00 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: acurasquirrel_]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
As Rob said, something's been toasted internally and the player probably needs to be sent in for service.

#250383 - 26/02/2005 16:21 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: tfabris]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Well if thats the case for sure Ill probably just get a new headunit, and use the empeg for in house use. I cant believe something major is fried if it still works under AC power.

#250384 - 28/02/2005 03:28 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: julf]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
I still remember when gas stations would carry stuff like that, instead of just fresh flowers

You mean those individual flowers in the small glass vases? I think those are found more in the "crack pipe" aisle.

#250385 - 28/02/2005 08:17 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: wfaulk]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
You mean those individual flowers in the small glass vases? I think those are found more in the "crack pipe" aisle.

Well, over here, gas stations have mostly turned into delis/supermarkets/florist shops. The fact that somebody gets there by car and has to refuel seems almost incidental. Or then it's an unmanned self-service pump - again no fuses...

#250386 - 01/03/2005 04:00 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Could it be that there is something wrong electrically in the car that's causing the fuse to blow as soon as the circuit is completed?

I suppose the problem would have to be on the empeg side of the fuse for it to blow wouldn't it. Nevermind.

#250387 - 01/03/2005 23:10 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: JBjorgen]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Did a little more messing around and the remote wire was grounding out. Fixed that and replaced the fuse and she is fine.

#250388 - 03/03/2005 08:28 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: acurasquirrel_]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
All's well that ends well. Stop by more often.

#250389 - 26/05/2005 11:50 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: loren]
emax
new poster

Hi there, this is my first post so go easy on me ;-)

I've just had my Rio MK2A fitted to my car today. It was working fine in the house off the adaptor but in the car, it kept blowing the fuse on the yellow power wire or blanking out for a couple of seconds before returning.

Higher volumes seemed to provoke this behaviour.

I noticed that the blue wire (remote amp?) was slightly loose and had a tendancy to pop out. I've taped it in place until I get the chance to properly rewire it (as per the FAQ's) into the connector and I put a 5A fuse in to replace the 3A one (I know this is a bad idea, but I didn't have any 3A's to hand and will replace this fuse over the weekend!).

Since taping the wire in place, the unit works at low volumes (I've not turned it up high until I get the 3A fuse back in there in case I damage something). However, once it seemed to mute itself - the screen was still on and the track was playing but no sound was coming from the unit. Putting it onto standby and then firing it up again seemed to cure the problem.

I'm hoping that all the problems I've experienced have been down to this bad connection alone, does this sound feasible?

Thanks,

Euan.

#250390 - 26/05/2005 23:48 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: emax]
oliver
addict

What software version are you running? I seem to remember one of the v2 betas had a bug where the mute function would reverse itself on standby if the player was in pause. I can't remember exactly but we'll know for sure shortly.

#250391 - 27/05/2005 10:08 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: oliver]
emax
new poster

Thanks for the reply. I've amended my sig to show the firmware/hijack versions.

I think it's on a straight v 2.00 (from the About menu anyway) and the version of Hijack seems pretty old unless I mis-read it on boot - it only shows for a split second!

The player hasn't muted itself since so I'm not sure if that problem was just a one-off or what.

Still concerned about the fuse blowing with volume though. I took it to the installer and he turned down the output on the amplifier and it hasn't done it since (still keeping the volume low-ish though). Still, I'm definitely going to switch the fuses around again in case of any damage and will try to sort that remote amp wire with the repair advice in the FAQ's.

I'll post back if the problem persists. I'm really hoping I haven't bought a duff unit. I'm hoping the fuse problem is directly linked to the loose remote wire.

Cheers,

Euan.

#250392 - 27/05/2005 16:09 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: emax]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
It probably is being caused by the amp being enabled by the blue "power on" indicator line from the empeg. Some amps can draw a lot of current from this line; the empeg, consequently, draws more also - then pop goes the fuse on the main power line to the empeg.

Solution: fit a relay to the amp and use the blue power enable line to turn on the relay.

Are you also connecting the blue wire to a powered antenna? If so, same rule applies.

Read the FAQ on installation issues.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#250393 - 27/05/2005 20:06 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: emax]
oliver
addict

mmmm corrado vr6... what year do you have? I've got a 93 passat vr6 with a schrick intake and 268 cams.

Also, did you reverse the wires on your ISO connector on your VW, I'm pretty sure the 12v power and ignition wires are switched in the VW -> connector. I think you want to switch the empeg harness wires, however I switched the wires on my VW connector. I didn't want to have to remove to re-wire the cage if I moved my empeg to another vehicle.

The easiest way to test, is does your empeg shutdown when you turn off your car? Does it remember where it was in the last track you were playing on power-up? If it does both of those then it's wired correct (minus the large fuse)

Edited by oliver (27/05/2005 20:07)

#250394 - 28/05/2005 09:15 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: schofiel]
emax
new poster

Quote:
It probably is being caused by the amp being enabled by the blue "power on" indicator line from the empeg. Some amps can draw a lot of current from this line; the empeg, consequently, draws more also - then pop goes the fuse on the main power line to the empeg.

Thanks, this sounds like a plausible theory. It was doing it at the installation place in front of the guy who installed it. Funnily enough, it didn't always blow the fuse, sometimes the unit would just go dead and need powered up again. He adjusted the levels on the amp itself and it hasn't done it since. Still, I need to sort the wiring as I'm sure the blue wire being loose won't be helping matters!

Quote:
Solution: fit a relay to the amp and use the blue power enable line to turn on the relay.

Are you also connecting the blue wire to a powered antenna? If so, same rule applies.

Thanks for this advice, much appreciated. I'll give this a whirl if the loose connection proves not to clear this issue up. How easy is it to wire a relay to the amp? Will I need to run some more cables to the amp to do this? I'm not sure on the antenna front, but I could ask the guy who fitted it.

When he fitted the Empeg, he just said it must be a faulty head unit, end of story. I wasn't too impressed with his attitude to be honest....

Quote:
mmmm corrado vr6... what year do you have? I've got a 93 passat vr6 with a schrick intake and 268 cams.

Mine's a '94. I've got the schrick + remap also; transforms the midrange! I've always fancied the cams too but wasn't sure if it would dent the midrange punch gained by the schrick alone. These old VRs sound wonderful eh? Perhaps the reason why it took me so long to upgrade the stereo from the original tape player!!

Quote:
The easiest way to test, is does your empeg shutdown when you turn off your car? Does it remember where it was in the last track you were playing on power-up? If it does both of those then it's wired correct (minus the large fuse)

My empeg behaves as you describe. When I pull the key, it goes onto standby (with the white LED pulsing) for about 5 secs and then powers off completely. On restart, it returns to exactly where it left off. Oh well, at least something is working right with the install!!!!

I've also upgraded my hijack from the ancient 340 to the latest, not that this will affect the above I wouldn't think.

Thanks for all your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Euan.

#250395 - 29/05/2005 07:05 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: emax]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for this advice, much appreciated. I'll give this a whirl if the loose connection proves not to clear this issue up. How easy is it to wire a relay to the amp? Will I need to run some more cables to the amp to do this? I'm not sure on the antenna front, but I could ask the guy who fitted it.

Easy - no new wires required through the car, but some back by the amp(s) etc hould be rewired a bit.

The relay needs tobe hooked up to constant +12V (to terminal 30) - can be taken from the amp +12V supply from the battery . Where you tap in, add a fuse appropriate for the wire gauge used.

To control the relay you hook up the remote wire from the headunit to terminal 85 instead of directly to the amps. Connect terminal 86 to ground.

From terminal 87 on the relay you go to all tuff that should be turned on by the remote wire ( amp remote inputs, power antenna control, cooling fans, lighting etc )

As an extra precaution, also wire in a diode (for instance 1N4001) across terminals 85 & 86, anode to the grounded terminal (86). If the relay already has an internal diode - some do - check that I didn't confuse which way 85 and 86 should be wired...
If there isn't an internal diode, it desn't matter, it works both ways...

More on relays for instance here and here

#250396 - 30/05/2005 10:26 Re: Remote lead fused? [Re: mtempsch]
emax
new poster

Thanks very much for the detailed advice, I really appreciate it.

The relay looks like something I could do myself based on the advice you gave. I've been away all weekend so not had the chance to check the wiring out first. It sounds as though this relay might be worthwhile regardless of a wiring fault though.

Thanks so much.

Euan.