Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253908 - 11/04/2005 16:53 Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050411/ap_on_go_ot/capitol_suitcases

This scares me. So what made him suspicious? He was wearing black? They would have a great time going to any bar in SF if that's their criteria of "suspicious."

- Jon

#253909 - 11/04/2005 17:03 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Who knows at this point. I won't even bother speculating yet because there hasn't been much released. He may well be a very stylish terrorist. It might be a huge mistake.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#253910 - 11/04/2005 18:15 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Anyone who isn't putting their hands up in the air when armed police approach them is suspicious in my book! And don't worry, they aren't in charge of security at your local goth club.

Considering all of the crazy stuff that has happened at the front lawn in recent years (people crashing airplanes, opening fire with automatic weapons, etc) and the fact that supposedly Russia can't find a few "suitcase nukes" I'd rather the police error on the side of preventing an incident that wasn't going to happen rather than allow something bad to happen because they didn't have 100% proof.

But, none of us know the details at this point - I'm sure the facts will come out soon enough. Probably just someone who has a few mental issues.

#253911 - 11/04/2005 18:25 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jbauer
veteran

You guys are right, I don't know much about this story. The thing that sounds strange in the story is that he was standing there, wearing black, and the police snuck up and tackled him. Was he doing anything that was really suspicious? Standing there isn't really suspicious, is it?

- Jon

#253912 - 11/04/2005 18:28 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
What is so suspicious about wearing black?

#253913 - 11/04/2005 18:32 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In one of the photo summaries:
Quote:
A bomb squad technician walks in front of the U.S. Capitol shortly before two suitcases were to be exploded, Monday, April 11, 2005 in Washington.

Assuming that the suitcases did contain something nasty, wouldn't exploding them seem the wrong thing to do? What if they contained some sort of biological element or radioactive material?

#253914 - 11/04/2005 18:34 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I believe they usually explode them either far off-site or inside of some sort of containment device after doing an examination on them (ie, try to detect if they were nuclear or what have you).

#253915 - 11/04/2005 18:52 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
I believe they usually explode them either far off-site or inside of some sort of containment device after doing an examination on them (ie, try to detect if they were nuclear or what have you).

I just watched on CNN that they exploded one of the suitcases right on site. The other one wasn't suspicious. Nothing funky happened, so I guess it was not an explosive device... Was it biological? I guess we'll soon find out.

- Jon

#253916 - 11/04/2005 19:04 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
jbauer
veteran

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...ess_incident_dc

I think the police must be pretty nervous... Also, maybe watching too many kung fu movies or something... Who wears black as camo during the day time? Ninjas? He shoulda been wearing a fountain camo, or a cheap suit, if he really wanted to be camouflaged in DC.

- Jon

#253917 - 11/04/2005 19:11 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Perhaps they were just, well, suitcases?

#253918 - 11/04/2005 19:20 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'm guessing it was his dirty undies.

#253919 - 11/04/2005 22:53 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
Anyone who isn't putting their hands up in the air when armed police approach them is suspicious in my book! And don't worry, they aren't in charge of security at your local goth club..

Wow. Is it impossible for you to not be a complete douchebag for 5 minutes?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#253920 - 11/04/2005 23:01 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: Heather]
jbauer
veteran

Ok, so read this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...ess_incident_dc

He was demanding to talk to GWB. Ok, he was suspicious.

In his suitcase was a CD player. I don't blame them for taking him seriously though...

- Jon

#253921 - 12/04/2005 00:24 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Wow. So it's summary judgement now for someone to just stand in front of a fountain. Yuck.

#253922 - 12/04/2005 00:25 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: Heather]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Wow. Is it impossible for you to not be a complete douchebag for 5 minutes?

How sweet.

Call me crazy, but if I saw a SWAT team coming at me like this, I might at least respond to their questions or put my arms in the air (after crapping my pants):

I'm sure the man is either disturbed or mentally ill in some way. If so, hopefully he'll get the help he needs.

#253923 - 12/04/2005 00:48 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm sure the man is either disturbed or mentally ill in some way. If so, hopefully he'll get the help he needs.

No offense intended to Brad, but I see three obvious loonies in that photo, and one peaceful tourist.

Isn't there a law or ten against sneaking (with automatic weapons out) up behind an unthreatening law abiding person? Or is this some third world dictatorship.

Oh, silly question.

#253924 - 12/04/2005 01:04 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: mlord]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Mark, the story is only a dozen or so sentences long and none of us have the facts on it. You're assuming against the police and I'm assuming in favor of them. This is silly - none of us have any facts on this story.

Yes, I think it's bizarre that this man seemed so "suspicious" when the story doesn't say why. To me, he just looks like some dude standing there. I'm guessing we'll know in a day or two the full story. But once he was approached, the story says that he would not respond to the police (we don't know if one non-SWAT officer approached him prior to this or not) and said he would only talk to President Bush. So, I have no idea what prompted people to think he was suspicious (and nor do you because we've all read the same news blurb) but I can see why they were suspicous after they approached him.

Ignoring police, if I wouldn't move from a certain spot somewhere in London while holding two suitcases and demanded to talk to the queen of England, I could see why someone would suspect that I might be crazy.

But the thing is, as of 04/11/05 at 11pm EST, none of the news reports give any specifics on this story. You're assuming this person was just standing there and suddenly had their civil librities violated for no reason and, until we get more details on this, I'm assuming that something must have happened to lead up to this. I don't have any facts on this, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me based on what little we know.

For an event that took upto 2 hours, we have 4 or 5 photos and maybe 100 words writen at a 5th grade reading level. We don't know what happened yet.

#253925 - 12/04/2005 01:07 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:

No offense intended to Brad, but I see three obvious loonies in that photo, and one peaceful tourist.

Isn't there a law or ten against sneaking (with automatic weapons out) up behind an unthreatening law abiding person? Or is this some third world dictatorship.

Oh, silly question.

I think you're overreacting a bit. I had a bit of a writeup, but I'll just point out that this was the DC police tackling a clearly suspicious man in a suspicious situation in front of a significant national landmark. I don't think it's the government invading your right to carry suitcases.

#253926 - 12/04/2005 01:30 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: Heather]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Come on Heather...Let's not throw femine items into the mix. IF the officers weapons are pointed at you, I agree with 'duchebag'. I was in Italy, once, and yeah, I had had a bit of wine with dinner, but not even tipsy...The cops over there, at least at that time carried these precious little machines that shot lots of bullets very fast. I did not know it was a cop, but from behind me I heard someone shout 'ALTO' (sp?) and heard that unmistakable sound of the bolt being pulled back. My hands went up in the air, and I SLOWLY got to my knees, then laid face down on the ground, until I was given further instructions that I could understand. Now I am here reading about duchebags....the guy about a half a block, in front of me (no, I did not know him) hasn't thought about duchebags in a long while...he tried to run, and has now been dead for over 25 years. Go figure...
A friend of my in Jacksonville Fla, got stopped about 5 miles afte leaving a military base, by the cops. He made the mistake of reaching down to get his lighter to light up a cigarette while waiting for the officer to walk up to his window. Eight stitches, a disloacated shoulder and a cracked wrist. Even though it was a 'regrettable mistake', the court told my friend was told (by the court) that he should have known how to behave in that situtation...Guess I better go stock up on duchebags...I can hear the libers starting to yell already!

#253927 - 12/04/2005 01:46 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

In what way is he "clearly suspicious"? I'm not saying that he wasn't, but there's nothing in any of those articles or pictures to show that he was.

#253928 - 12/04/2005 01:48 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: Ladmo]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

So are you defending cops who shoot machine guns in the city with innocent pedestrians around?

#253929 - 12/04/2005 02:01 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: RobotCaleb]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Quote:
Perhaps they were just, well, suitcases?

The guy in Atlanta had a suitcase. It sure was heavy.

-Zeke

#253930 - 12/04/2005 02:31 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
In what way is he "clearly suspicious"? I'm not saying that he wasn't, but there's nothing in any of those articles or pictures to show that he was

A friend told me he'd stood there unmoving for several hours with those suitcases. I don't know if this is true, but if so, I'd understand why passerby would consider that a little strange and worth mentioning to the authorities.

#253931 - 12/04/2005 09:47 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So are you defending cops who shoot machine guns in the city with innocent pedestrians around?

No, I don't think that was his point. I think he was saying that even when he was drunk off his butt and wasn't able to see the police, he knew the international procedure for "put your hands up." And the restraint that these cops displayed, at a national monument in a city that is under threat of terror attacks, is pretty impressive. The security situation in Anytown, USA is a bit more relaxed.

As far as the DC thing goes, it appears there was no "sneaking" involved. According to the article, he had been talked to for a while with no response other than he wanted to speak to President Bush. So they moved in very slowly and you can see from the photos that the guy is looking right at the SWAT team.

What would really suck is if Bush left his suitcase at this guy's restaurant and the guy was just trying to return it!

#253932 - 12/04/2005 11:10 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Still sounds like unwarranted search and siezure to me. The guy was just standing there, not threatening anyone. And it took three SWAT team members with automatic weapons to lead him away? Come on.. whatever happened to "reasonable use of force"?

Blah.

#253933 - 12/04/2005 11:26 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
In what way is he "clearly suspicious"? I'm not saying that he wasn't, but there's nothing in any of those articles or pictures to show that he was.

I may be confused as to the timeline. He supposedly kept asking to see the president. Was that before or after the cops got there?

Regardless, I thought the statement was an overreaction. With all the injustices to cry out about, this is hardly one to waste your time on without having the full facts.

(I'd also written it before I saw Brad's much better post )

#253934 - 12/04/2005 12:46 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
I think he was saying that even when he was drunk off his butt and wasn't able to see the police, he knew the international procedure for "put your hands up."

Perhaps it is something to do with coming from a country where there isn't a gun culture, but it would never occur to me to put my hands up and then lay face down on the floor. I would just stand there looking confused as to why someone was pointing a gun at me.

#253935 - 12/04/2005 13:20 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah. Deer-in-headlights probably would describe my reaction, too. Either stunned fear or bolting.

#253936 - 12/04/2005 14:52 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: andy]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Perhaps it is something to do with coming from a country where there isn't a gun culture, but it would never occur to me to put my hands up and then lay face down on the floor. I would just stand there looking confused as to why someone was pointing a gun at me.

Exactly.

Actually, I find those photos hilarious: the way the guy nonchalantly watches over his shoulder those three heavily armed guys in stupid poses...

As for difference in gun culture and perception of the way the police should behave, may I (again, I suppose) recommend Ustinov's Krumnagel?
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#253937 - 12/04/2005 16:12 Re: Man With Suitcases Captured at Capitol [Re: jbauer]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
My wife works on Capitol Hill (a non-partisan position in the Dirksen building on the Senate side). They have reason to be a bit more worried than the Average Joe.

By many accounts, they were the likely target of the 4th jet on 9/11. They've had a real anthrax attack, and several anthrax hoaxes.

They've had a gunman burst in and start shooting.

They were evacuated - with the capitol police shouting "Run for your life!" - when a plane had a transponder malfunction (or the pilot forgot to turn it on).

They had a guy claiming to have explosives, sitting on a tractor on the lawn for a couple days.

They have somewhat disturbed people wandering through the halls, into offices, and generally all around, most of whom aren't quite disturbed enough to get removed permanently (just your garden variety crackpot), but plenty disturbed enough to cause a lot of anxiety.

Though you do pass through screening on the way in, they have a mostly open set of buildings.

It's a nervous place these days.

-jk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >