Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265782 - 27/09/2005 18:15 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
They are modern, though. They seem to be Whirlpool Duets.

#265783 - 27/09/2005 19:28 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I stand corrected, said the man in orthapedic shoes.

Andy M

#265784 - 28/09/2005 02:14 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: andym]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Yeah, it's called "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" and was a tune sang by a bunch of different people...cass elliot, BaBa Streisand and quite a few others...

#265785 - 28/09/2005 23:16 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: Ezekiel]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I think he's the software developer for Duke Nukem Forever.
OK, THAT was really, really funny!

More on topic, I don't see how this episode was any more confusing than anything else we've seen. I do agree that it's going to be a bummer watching these having to wait for more episodes. We just finished the DVD set last night and managed to catch the re-broadcast of the premire tonight. The DVR is now set and ready for the rest of the season.

Regarding Lost vs. Alias, I think Lost is a better show because it seems better thought out. On the DVD set they talk about the first 6 years or so being planned out already, though clearly a lot of the the interpersonal stuff is being written as they go. If Alias was thought out before hand, it certainly doesn't show. Don't get me wrong, Alias is fun (we've only seen through season 3), but it seems to be kind of seat-of-the-pants writing, were Lost is just one solid, consistent story. In my mind, none of the 1st season episodes stand out as being better or worse than others. It just seems to be a high quality drama that tells an interesting story about people and a mysterious island.

Well, gotta go and catch ep. 2!

#265786 - 28/09/2005 23:30 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, get ready. Alias gets worse and worse. If it doesn't pick up this season, I may stop watching it.

#265787 - 29/09/2005 01:03 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Hunh. Anybody pickup that 4+8+15+16+23+42=108? (108 being the number that is displayed after the execute button is pressed).

Not that that tells us much, but there you go . . .

#265788 - 29/09/2005 01:25 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: JeffS]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
What was with the Romero zombie Others' gaits in the last 30 seconds? Was that an Apple II in the bunker?

Good show.

-Zeke

#265789 - 29/09/2005 10:55 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: wfaulk]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
In last nights episode we saw a symbol in the bunker, went looking for a picture but didn't find one yet, it if I remember correctly had a wave in the middle which was surrounded by three hexagonal (one inside the other, etc) and each side of the hexagonals was made of one or two pieces which looked a bit like long and short dashes, morse code maybe? If so that each side is a number, abet only a single digit number.

But what really caught my attention about the symbol was that it was tattooed on to the shark that was stalking the two lads on the raft - yeah for TiVo and 8 second rewind.

#265790 - 29/09/2005 12:37 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: Phoenix42]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah. The Symbol was on a lot of stuff in the bunker as a logo, especially in the storeroom Kate was trapped in. It says "Dharma" on it. And the short and long lines looked to me a lot like I Ching trigrams, but I could be wrong. In fact, it seems that the 8 trigrams are often depicted around a yin-yang, which might be what the wave in the middle is. Maybe it's all a big Korean plot.

And it was definitely on the shark. Maybe it was on the friggin' laser strapped to it's friggin' head, too.

#265791 - 29/09/2005 12:40 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The graffito in the bunker also said "108" in the middle of it.

#265792 - 29/09/2005 13:37 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

#265793 - 29/09/2005 13:39 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: Phoenix42]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

#265794 - 29/09/2005 13:44 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Huh. On my TV screen, it was a lot clearer than that.

#265795 - 29/09/2005 13:47 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If you're talking about the shark shot, the problem is that screencap is two interlaced frames combing.

#265796 - 30/09/2005 02:54 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm scared Alias is going the way of the X-FIles... Vaughan, as rumoured, is out. It's too early to judge of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were the last season of the show.

So far Lost has been pretty solid. I could have done without the very dry and boring Michael flashbacks in last night's episode. It didn't add anything to the story as a whole nor the episode. It was filler. Dry and dull filler. But, week after week I find the show I'm most curious about is Prison Break. Overall I'm starting to feel that there's a big Resident Evil influence. Evil corporate logo all over the place and all (just like Umbrella).

I can see that a lot of the new shows will not make beyond the first season (or first half season for some of them). Threshold is going to vanish really soon. Surface will likely not make it either. We'll have to see about Invasion - the biggest thing it has going for it is the timeslot after Lost.

Bruno

#265797 - 30/09/2005 12:48 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I could have done without the very dry and boring Michael flashbacks in last night's episode. It didn't add anything to the story as a whole nor the episode. It was filler. Dry and dull filler.

Completely untrue. The "now" part of the story had to do with Michael coming to grips with the fact that his son had been kidnapped. The flashback had to do with Michael coming to grips with his son being taken from him. The point of it was in the differences about why he wanted to hang onto his son and his differences in dealing with it. Which is basically the point of Michael's entire storyline: his relationship to Walt and how it changes. It was probably the most direct relationship between a flashback and the "now" we've seen yet.

Now, if you don't like the Michael storyline, that's one thing, but to call if filler is ridiculous.

#265798 - 30/09/2005 15:54 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And may I also add... It was probably only boring filler to those who have never gone through a divorce or a child custody battle, because they have no emotional reference point to connect with the characters in that situation.

#265799 - 30/09/2005 17:50 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I consider it filler, boring and superfluous because it's already been done, and quite neatly. Nothing new was added this time around. Not as it relates to plot, nor character. We did not need one second of this series flashbacks to explain nor reinforce Michael's behaviour/emotions/actions in this episode nor how he has developed since landing on the island. Maybe I just got a lot more out of all the other episodes. But I hardly think so as a number of people I've talked to felt the very same way about this specific episode.

BTW, Bitt, "opinion" can never be "untrue" - it's true enough to me.

Bruno

#265800 - 30/09/2005 18:33 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It's not reinforcement, it's counterpoint.

#265801 - 30/09/2005 18:44 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
We did not need one second of this series flashbacks to explain nor reinforce Michael's behaviour/emotions/actions in this episode nor how he has developed since landing on the island.
I don't know that I'd agree with this, but even if I grant it, the point is to tell Michael's story, which is what this show has been so great about doing. What has made Lost so strong has been that it puts the characters and their development front and center. The mystery and intrigue of the island are interesting, but it is the characters and their stories which really drive this thing.

When we watched the first season, I really wondered how they came up with some of the characters. In particular, Hurley intrigued me since his type is usually not found in drama. You might see "laid back fat dude" in a comedy, but not usually something like Lost- those slots are usually reserved for compelling, dramatic, pretty people. And yet his character (and others like him) give the show a unique flavor that really sets it apart. Because survivors of a plane crash aren't going to just be a bunch of intensly dramatic models- there is going to be a huge crossection of different backgrounds and ethnicities. What I found watching the extra features DVD is that they cast for about 2 or 3 parts (Kate & Sawyer) and then wrote in parts for everyone else who they liked (they didn't even initally cast for Jack because they were going to kill him off in the pilot). So the characters of Sun, Charlie, and Hurley were written for those actors because they liked them so much. I think that was a very cool approach and has led to one of the most unique ensembles in television.

Anyway, early on I was kind of wondering what they were going to do once all of the character's back stories had been revealed, and now I see that they are going to more fully explore those backstories. I think it's a good move and will be an interesting ride as long as the show stays strong.

I do find it humerous how Jack said something to the effect of "who we were doesn't matter anymore" early on (the pilot maybe?)

#265802 - 06/10/2005 20:41 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

OK, for those of you who saw the episode last night, I have a question. Say you were Jack- would you have pushed the button?

#265803 - 06/10/2005 22:41 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Of course I would have pushed the button.

I was speaking to a friend about this, and I agree with what my friend said: they had the faith thing backwards.

Locke was saying Jack had to take a leap of faith to press the button. No, that's wasn't the leap of faith. The leap of faith would have been to let the timer run out. They already knew what happened when the button got pressed. It had been done a million times before.

So I just didn't understand the whole conversation and why it was an issue with Jack and the whole "man of faith" theme they had going on with Locke.

#265804 - 06/10/2005 23:15 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: tfabris]
visuvius
addict

I dunno about all this nonsense but my head just about exploded when they showed Jin speaking english for next week's episode.

Ah, and for the record, I wouldn't have pushed the button. Once you push it the first time, you're pretty much signing up for a lifetime of that crap. Screw that.

Edited by visuvius (06/10/2005 23:16)

#265805 - 07/10/2005 00:07 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Locke was saying Jack had to take a leap of faith to press the button. No, that's wasn't the leap of faith. The leap of faith would have been to let the timer run out. They already knew what happened when the button got pressed. It had been done a million times before.
Sure, but what happens when you press the button isn't the question. It's what happens when you don't press the button.

There is a great penalty for pressing the button- you are pressed into a life of psychological torture and dependence on a feeble code being input into a computer. So the question of faith is whether the penalty for pressing the button is worth it. If the world's gonna end, then the penalty is worth it, obviously. If nothing happens (or the place implodes), then it isn't.

Now let's look at it logically. There is NO evidence to support that the world would end if the button weren't pushed. The only thing to support this idea is hearsay by an unreliable witness, who presumably had the same evidence that we do: the video. The video does not tell us what happens, only that we must keep pressing the button.

And what do we know about the island? It was a think tank for exploring various sciences. Psychological exploration certainly seems within the scope of what they would have been doing on the island. Global extension- doesn't seem near as likely.

The evidence points toward the button pushing being a psychological experiment, not a global catastrophy. From that perspective, I would say it is Locke who is acting on faith. Or at least more faith. Jack's position seems to be backed by some faith and a lot of logic. Of course it IS a TV show and it seems the writers are determined to get Jack some faith, but that's beside the point!

I understand your point that they know what happens when they push the button, so it isn't a lack of faith. However, they'd only ever do so if they believed (by faith) that the consequences were drastic enough.

Truth be told, I might have pushed the button the first time, just to buy some time for investigation. But I sure wouldn't stick around and enlave my life to it.

#265806 - 07/10/2005 05:24 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: visuvius]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
That was one of the best TV episodes of any show I've ever seen. I need to watch it again. They have mastered the "gotta see the next episode" feeling. So good.

#265807 - 07/10/2005 08:11 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: loren]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
There is a hilarious review of the first 2 episodes here by the way.

Just seen the 3rd one last night, and whoa, I need some more of that. Its so strange, but utterly compelling. I'm going to go crazy waiting for next week!

#265808 - 07/10/2005 12:46 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There is NO evidence to support that the world would end if the button weren't pushed. ... And what do we know about the island? It was a think tank for exploring various sciences. Psychological exploration certainly seems within the scope of what they would have been doing on the island. Global extension- doesn't seem near as likely.

There are several pieces of evidence that point towards at least something other than just a psychological experiment.

The first is the massive magnetic field in the bunker. We saw Jack's gun-locker key get affected by it, and Desmond says he can feel it in his fillings (which either means it's extraordinarily powerful or he has iron fillings). Could it be part of the psychological experiment? Sure, but I doubt it.

The other is the fact that while he was scared of the outside due to the sickness out there. While it may no longer be there, we have evidence that it once was, from a seemingly unrelated source. Of course, it might just be a massive Minbari conspiracy.

#265809 - 07/10/2005 13:05 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: wfaulk]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
The first is the massive magnetic field in the bunker. We saw Jack's gun-locker key get affected by it, and Desmond says he can feel it in his fillings

Don't forget Saeed not being able to use the compass Locke gave him when he went exploring in Season 1. Hell, if it was powerful enough it might also screw with navigation systems and have caused the plane to crash in the first place.

#265810 - 08/10/2005 05:19 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: sein]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
ricin.us

#265811 - 08/10/2005 06:25 Re: Lost Season 2 [Re: ricin]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >