Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#267952 - 25/10/2005 03:41 ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0
zxsuxr
new poster

After Downloading the latest version of EMPEG i am able to connect via USB to my MK2. Now b4 it starts up i get this error 0x0045af70 referenced memory at 0x00000008, the memory could not be read. Sometimes the softare cannot even find the player

I have yet to upgrade my Firmware, but my MK2 firmware is 2.0 beta13. The funny thing is i cannot even access my MK2 from the first Empeg CD it came with, it states my version is too new for EMPEG, when i havent even updated my MK2.
This is extremely fustrating.. any help is much appreciated!

thanks...

#267953 - 25/10/2005 08:40 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
Hi there,

I'm not the most advanced user around here by a long way but I would suggest you need to match the software running on the empeg with the emplode program running on your PC. If the two do not match then they have difficulty communicating.

The most stable releases to date are....

emplode (PC) - http://www.empeg.com/downloads/car-emplode-v2.00.zip

empeg - either...

consumer image (if you just want to use the player as a player) http://www.empeg.com/downloads/car2-consumer-v2.00.upgrade
or
developer image (if you want to use hijack or any of the other software addons) http://www.empeg.com/downloads/car2-developer-v2.00.upgrade

Personally I would go for the developer image on the empeg as it allows more freedom without any drawbacks.

See the FAQ for details on applying the software to the empeg if you've never done it before (very simple task).

Cheers, Sim

#267954 - 25/10/2005 13:50 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: simspos]
zxsuxr
new poster

the problem is i cannot get it connect thru serial, for some reason it still wont recognize it. That is my main problem. The obvious solution is to get the Empeg up to 2.0, but with this serial connection unresolved its not working.

#267955 - 25/10/2005 15:21 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
unplug the power to empeg completely, the apply the upgrade and wait till it says to apply power to your player and then plug the power in. If that doesn't work, there's something wrong with your serial port.

#267956 - 25/10/2005 16:20 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: JBjorgen]
zxsuxr
new poster

Quote:
unplug the power to empeg completely, the apply the upgrade and wait till it says to apply power to your player and then plug the power in. If that doesn't work, there's something wrong with your serial port.

forgive my ignorance, but isnt the serial port not a plug and play device?
Also, upon boot up now that the serial port is occupied by my serial cable, it states a keyboard cannot be found. Is it that the serial port has been assigned as a keyboard, would i need to change the com port settings or ID?
serial ports are just way too long ago for me

#267957 - 25/10/2005 17:38 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Plugging and unplugging a serial cable is equivalent to plugging and unplugging an ethernet cable. You're not removing or connecting a device, only what the device connects to. So plug-and-play has nothing to do with any of it.

Are you saying that your computer works fine unless you have a serial cable attached to it on bootup? That's weird. Just leave the cable off until you've started the OS, then plug the cable in. You'll be fine. People have done it that way for decades.

#267958 - 25/10/2005 20:55 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: wfaulk]
zxsuxr
new poster

Quote:
Plugging and unplugging a serial cable is equivalent to plugging and unplugging an ethernet cable. You're not removing or connecting a device, only what the device connects to. So plug-and-play has nothing to do with any of it.

Are you saying that your computer works fine unless you have a serial cable attached to it on bootup? That's weird. Just leave the cable off until you've started the OS, then plug the cable in. You'll be fine. People have done it that way for decades.

actually mouse and keyboard are on a USB. When i connected the serial to my computer, upon startup it prompted me no keyboard was found. I then attached the ps/2 connector to USB to allow my keyboard to detect. I will try again with the serial again when i get home. Since serial cables are discontinued at least where i live, does using a female to female adapter to a serial extension cable make any difference ?

Thanks

#267959 - 25/10/2005 23:17 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
StigOE
addict

Just to get it out of the way... You are using a null-modem cable, aren't you? Not a straight serial cable?

Stig

#267960 - 26/10/2005 00:30 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: StigOE]
zxsuxr
new poster

Quote:
Just to get it out of the way... You are using a null-modem cable, aren't you? Not a straight serial cable?

Stig

arg, you win!
its not a nul modem cable, its a a straight thru serial..!!!
excuse my stupidity, i got this used, no idea
THANKS!

#267961 - 26/10/2005 00:33 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
zxsuxr
new poster

wait, what is the difference, i shouldnt use a 9pin to 9pin serial. I should use a 25 pin to 9 pin?
9 pin to 9 pin is still a null modem isnt?
The only 1 FRYS had was a 9pin serial extension, i used a gender changer to make it female.. extensions are male to female

thanks!

#267962 - 26/10/2005 04:01 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
This site has some information on what a null modem cable is.
Null Modem Cable from Fry's

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#267963 - 26/10/2005 15:39 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
When i connected the serial to my computer, upon startup it prompted me no keyboard was found

Right. I understood that before. Just boot your computer up without the serial cable attached and plug it in after you boot up.

You're not trying to tell us that you're using a USB serial port and that to plug it in you have to disconnect the keyboard, are you?

Honestly, I was giving you a pass on your atrocious grammar and inability to construct a sentence because I figured you didn't speak English. But if Fry's is your closest store, you live in the US. As such, calm down for a minute and try to construct a cohesive sentence so we can help you better. We understand if you aren't a computer expert, but try to clearly explain what you are doing.

#267964 - 26/10/2005 16:08 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: wfaulk]
zxsuxr
new poster

Quote:
Quote:
When i connected the serial to my computer, upon startup it prompted me no keyboard was found

Right. I understood that before. Just boot your computer up without the serial cable attached and plug it in after you boot up.

You're not trying to tell us that you're using a USB serial port and that to plug it in you have to disconnect the keyboard, are you?

Honestly, I was giving you a pass on your atrocious grammar and inability to construct a sentence because I figured you didn't speak English. But if Fry's is your closest store, you live in the US. As such, calm down for a minute and try to construct a cohesive sentence so we can help you better. We understand if you aren't a computer expert, but try to clearly explain what you are doing.

Okay, here is the deal... Right now I have 1 serial 9M to 9F 6ft extension. I purchased a 9F to 9F Gender changer to make it act like a real serial cable. Unfortunetly Frys doesnt carry standard serial cables or they were just sold out. My question is using a serial extension with a gender changer 9 pin to 9 pin the correct solution?
Would the NULL Modem cable be my only hope?

#267965 - 26/10/2005 17:08 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You have to have a null-modem connection. This can be accomplished with a null-modem cable or with a regular cable with a null-modem adapter (or a null-modem cable with a normal gender changer, obviously). Null-modems often look quite like normal gender changers, so check to make sure what yours is. (Unfortunately, it's often my experience that both serial cables and gender changers are poorly labelled.)

So the first thing you need to do is make sure you have a null-modem cable. I assume you got it used and not just new-old-stock, but doublecheck in the box that the empeg came in and make sure that it didn't come with a serial cable. If there's not one there, you're going to have to acquire one. Sorry if you already bought the wrong thing. It's irritating that serial cables aren't as universal as USB and Firewire, but they're not. You just need to get a cable or series of cables and adapters to make it fit the back of your computer and the back of the empeg and make sure that exactly one of those adapters or cables is null-modem. Best case scenario is a single cable, but it could potentially require a lot of adapters if your cable shop isn't well stocked.

#267966 - 26/10/2005 18:34 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: wfaulk]
zxsuxr
new poster

Quote:
You have to have a null-modem connection. This can be accomplished with a null-modem cable or with a regular cable with a null-modem adapter (or a null-modem cable with a normal gender changer, obviously). Null-modems often look quite like normal gender changers, so check to make sure what yours is. (Unfortunately, it's often my experience that both serial cables and gender changers are poorly labelled.)

So the first thing you need to do is make sure you have a null-modem cable. I assume you got it used and not just new-old-stock, but doublecheck in the box that the empeg came in and make sure that it didn't come with a serial cable. If there's not one there, you're going to have to acquire one. Sorry if you already bought the wrong thing. It's irritating that serial cables aren't as universal as USB and Firewire, but they're not. You just need to get a cable or series of cables and adapters to make it fit the back of your computer and the back of the empeg and make sure that exactly one of those adapters or cables is null-modem. Best case scenario is a single cable, but it could potentially require a lot of adapters if your cable shop isn't well stocked.

Thank you very much, your explanation was very clear. To my understanding, as long as it is a NULL MODEM cable, using a 25pin to 9pin would work, or a 9pin to 9pin as long as i can connect it to my computer i shouldnt have any problems. Yes, you are absolutely correct the MK2 was included with the purchase of my car hence it being USED w/o box and accessories.

Thank you for all the help!

#267967 - 26/10/2005 18:39 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yes. If you have a null-modem cable and one end plugs into the empeg and the other plugs into your computer, you're good.

#267968 - 27/10/2005 04:25 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The fact that your computer was complaining about keyboard not found, indicates to me something very strange is going wrong with your motherboard and BIOS, something that's unrelated to the empeg or to the serial cable.

Plugging something into the serial port should have absolutely no effect on the keyboard, and should not be related to anything plugged into the USB ports.

To answer your first question about the 2.0 software not working with USB, please read this.

In any case, if your empeg is successfully running 2.0 beta 13, that's actually just fine and is not much different from 2.0 final. What you need is to get the 2.0 version of Emplode from the www.empeg.com web site and then do the USB fix.

Should work fine after that, in theory.

#267969 - 27/10/2005 08:43 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: JBjorgen]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
...or the cable you are using to connect to the serial port. Or the handshaking settings on direct serial connect from a terminal prog.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#267970 - 27/10/2005 08:49 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: zxsuxr]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
2B13 had a number of problems, this may be one of them. It was far more stable than 2B11, and was the release candidate for 2.0. There is not likely to be any further releases of any form of player software now; hence, you either go stable with 2.0 Final, 2.01 Memory upgrade, or go bleeding edge with 3A11. Ensure that the only version of emplode you have installed on your host PC is the latest, v 2.0 from the empeg website (www.empeg.com).

To connect, you need a 3-wire null modem serial cable. This should be sufficient for the upgrader to work. For serial terminal connects, you should use the same cable with your terminal settings set to 8N1 115k No Handshaking.

For the type of error you are reporting, it implies a hardware memory fault. I would suggest you connect to the player, start it, and then execute the memory test loop from the terminal command line as it starts to boot (read the FAQ for the instructions to do this). Post your results here for us to look at.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#267971 - 12/11/2005 20:14 Re: ARG!! NEW Software Errors.. please help 2.0 [Re: schofiel]
zxsuxr
new poster

UPDATE!
Finally since my last post I decided to get that NULL modem cable you all have mentioned to me in this thread. Everything works now! Had to reinstall my Emplode several times to get past a memory error.
Summary...
Installed USB FIX driver
Installed Emplode 2.0
Updated to V2.0 on my Mk2 via Null modem cable.

thank you guys very much for your help!