Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#272432 - 18/12/2005 04:33 I would be George Clooney's sex slave.
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Syriana.

Discuss.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#272433 - 18/12/2005 05:08 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: jimhogan]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I think this was an excellent movie, and not what I expected.

Most striking to me was how successfully it portrayed the complexity of the situation. Second-most striking was that they actually made the audience feel compassion for the terrorists and see them as people, which I didn't think would be possible in this political environment. This is a huge part of the complexity: people with nothing to lose, well, have nothing to lose.

I think it is probably an all-too-accurate depiction. I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't seen the movie, but the difference between the emir's two sons and the decisions made as a result are chilling.

This is actually Osama Bin Laden's biggest beef, as I understand it, that the US is propping up an extremely corrupt regieme in Saudi Arabia and is actively involved with keeping a (from his view) illegitimate government that abuses its citizens in power. To borrow from your other thread, if we were really concerned about civillians, we could have started with Saudi Arabia -- but they're our guys. Which American policy maker was it who said of Sadam Hussein (when we were propping up his government to fight Iranians), "He's a bastard, but he's our bastard"?

I have said for years that the US government does not want peace in the mideast. They want strife and war, so that part of the world needs US products. US products, by the way, are weapons. The US is a larger weapons exporter than all other countries combined. The thing that keeps the US economy a dominant force in the global economy is weapons systems.

I wish I understood monetary principles better. My limited understanding is that money must be tied to something scarce. This used to be gold, but now the US doller is essentially tied to oil. Oil is traded in US dollars pretty much around the world. George Soros has pointed out what a tremendous advantage this gives to the United States, because it can single-handedly set monetary policy for the currency tied to the most strategically important resource in the world. The US will never willingly give up this advantage. That means it must keep the middle east nations dependent on the US, which means dependent on US weapons, which means at war. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about it for too long.

There was a brief comment in the movie about the US "asking" the Emir to purchase war planes from America to help smooth economic downswings in the US. Chilling. And that ain't going to happen if peace breaks out.

Jim

Edited by TigerJimmy (18/12/2005 05:10)

#272434 - 19/12/2005 03:12 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: jimhogan]
TigerJimmy
old hand

How is it possible that nobody else wants to weigh in on this? Has nobody else seen the movie?

#272435 - 19/12/2005 04:54 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: TigerJimmy]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Haven't seen it- or heard of it.
Had to imdb it to know what you guys were talking about.
Looks good, though.

#272436 - 19/12/2005 11:36 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: TigerJimmy]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
When the movie industry starts taking my time seriously enough to stop the BS habit of theatre only releases for new movies, then maybe I'll see more movies.

Why is it that movies are the only product that's released in one channel, then out of release, then in another later on? If they would let me see new movies on demand they'd have more of my money. There's lots of movies I want to see right after the initial marketing blitz that I don't want to see five months later at the DVD rental shop.

I know it's tied up in how movies are financed, but I really don't give a rats' ass nor do I care about the financial condition of movie theatres. I've bought enough $8 popcorn in my life.

[/RANT]

Please continue with your regularly scheduled discussion of Syriana.

-Zeke

#272437 - 19/12/2005 12:53 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Meh, I think that's going a little far. Given the age of DVDs, I think it's a tad unreasonable to ask them to change so fast.

Quote:
I've bought enough $8 popcorn in my life.

What does that have to do with the distribution method? Who said you had to buy popcorn? I haven't bought popcorn at the movies in years.

The only thing I don't like about the movies is how moviegoers have gotten less polite over the years. It's still the best way to see a film (IMO), provided the audience doesn't ruin the experience.

As for the original topic: I have not seen the movie yet, but simply because I haven't had time. You do realize that this is the time of year when the largest number of great movies comes out, right?

#272438 - 19/12/2005 15:40 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Dignan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

The theatres make their money on the popcorn, not the movies, that's my point. They do this because their distribution agreements are absurdly stingy. If studios made more money, there could be(in theory)a little more money for the theatre owners. I'm not advocating that theatres close, just that we all should have a choice in where we see first-run films. I pretty much hate everything about going to a theatre - uncomfortable seats, crowds, time & travel inconvenience, not being able to pause the action to go take a leak etc. etc...

I don't live in a major metropolitan market, so if I don't like the nearest cinema, it's not trivial to go to another one.

If the studios offered more choice in distribution method, I would probably watch more first run movies and they'd get more of my money.

I know I have no choice but to wait until the studios change; I just want that change now.

High-def on-demand for $19.99 for a first run film, I'd pay that in a second - it's only one yuppy food coupon.

I'm rambling now so I'll stop and go for some lunch.

Sorry 'bout the thread jack!

-Zeke

#272439 - 19/12/2005 15:42 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
High-def on-demand for $19.99 for a first run film, I'd pay that in a second - it's only one yuppy food coupon.

Me too, can't believe it's not already here

#272440 - 19/12/2005 15:45 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
The theatres make their money on the popcorn, not the movies, that's my point.

If that's the case the studios are making a fortune - it's like 8 quid ($14) to see a film these days, and I don't remember when I last sat in an auditorium that was less than 2/3rds full. There has to be some margin in that for the venue.

Rob

#272441 - 19/12/2005 17:05 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: rob]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
You'd be suprised.
A big movie, say any of the recent Starwars releases, would command 90% of the grosses during the opening weeks, and that doesn't drop off dramiticly, hence the $8 popcorn and $5 sodas.

#272442 - 19/12/2005 19:08 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
The theatres make their money on the popcorn, not the movies, that's my point.

I'm well aware of that whole scam, but this in no way makes an argument for not going to see movies in the theater. If your ticket included a charge for a large popcorn, that would be a reason not to go.

The rising ticket prices, rude people at theaters, and the endless advertisements are what occasionally keep me away from the big screen. However, I've had good luck with Regal Theatres (in the northern Virginia area). They have something called "The Twenty," which is a set of ads, mostly for TV programs, before the film. This might seem outrageous, but we're talking about the 20 minutes before the advertised start time, so I don't mind it in the least. Besides, it changes more regularly than the old factoid slides, and it actually got me interested in "The 4400," so I can't fault it too much.

And does anyone else here like the "inconsiderate cell phone man"? I don't know why those bits crack me up. I guess it's that guys delivery, which is good because apparently he's done something for Channel 102.

Wow, this post went on a couple tangents...

#272443 - 19/12/2005 19:56 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
not being able to pause the action to go take a leak

I know that this is sacrilege in some ways, but, in some ways, I wish TiVo hadn't allowed you to pause. I have barely watched a TV program at home all the way through with the wife since we've had a TiVo and it's driving me nuts.

She has to pause it every fifteen seconds to make some comment about something. Occasionally it's relevant, but even in those cases it can wait until the end. Most of the time it's her asking some question that hasn't been answered in the show yet. Even the smallest vaguely non-linear thing confuses her to the point where she has to pause and ask what's just happened instead of waiting three seconds to see if they tell her.

So one of the major reasons I like to see a movie in a theater is so that I can watch something from start to finish without pausing. I know that's absurd, but it's so relaxing to not constantly be jarred in and out of my suspension of disbelief.

#272444 - 19/12/2005 20:04 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I know that this is sacrilege in some ways, but, in some ways, I wish TiVo hadn't allowed you to pause. I have barely watched a TV program at home all the way through with the wife since we've had a TiVo and it's driving me nuts.

She has to pause it every fifteen seconds to make some comment about something. Occasionally it's relevant, but even in those cases it can wait until the end. Most of the time it's her asking some question that hasn't been answered in the show yet. Even the smallest vaguely non-linear thing confuses her to the point where she has to pause and ask what's just happened instead of waiting three seconds to see if they tell her.
So true! I thought I was the only person who had this problem. I like having the pause feature, but when you break every five minutes it really gets frustrating. And my wife does the exact same thing about asking a question you know they're about to answer, or that doesn't matter to the plot at all.

#272445 - 19/12/2005 20:23 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Five minutes!?! Luxury!

#272446 - 19/12/2005 21:15 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: JeffS]
Mataglap
enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:

So true! I thought I was the only person who had this problem. I like having the pause feature, but when you break every five minutes it really gets frustrating. And my wife does the exact same thing about asking a question you know they're about to answer, or that doesn't matter to the plot at all.

True. On the other hand I like the "go back seven seconds" button so much on my ReplayTV that I find my thumb trying to hit it even when watching a movie in a theater! It's great for that little bit of dialogue that was a little hard to understand.

--Nathan

#272447 - 19/12/2005 21:22 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Mataglap]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I do that, too. But once I get over it, it's so much more enjoyable to just go with the flow rather than have to obsess over every detail.

#272448 - 19/12/2005 21:26 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Bitt,
See, you like going to the theatre as much as I don't like them. My main point is that I want Hollywood to give us the choice as soon as possible.

I guess I'm lucky; my spouse's Tivo habits match my own.

-Zeke

#272449 - 19/12/2005 21:34 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
She has to pause it every fifteen seconds to make some comment about something.

I respectfully submit that the problem there does not lie with the technology.

#272450 - 19/12/2005 21:40 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

No argument, but without the technology, the problem would largely not exist. It's more of a catalyst, I guess.

#272451 - 19/12/2005 21:44 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, there are problems with theaters, I'll readily admit, though most of them have to do with other customers, not the theater itself. Also, even 1080i isn't as high a resolution as 35mm film.

At the same time, I can't come up with a good reason for them not to release in multiple avenues at the same time.

At the same time again, though, I do wonder if there's a movie you're interested in seeing while it's being advertised but uninterested in seeing later, if you're not just saving money by not seeing a movie that you really don't want to see.

#272452 - 19/12/2005 23:28 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Dignan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
They have something called "The Twenty,"

For this problem and every other theater problem listed above, I have a simple solution. Wait until the movie has been out for at least 3 weeks before seeing it.

Then you can:
come in 15 minutes late, avoiding all commercials and previews
still get great seats
not deal with any crowds or annoying audiences, because they're all watching commercials before the newest latest film.

I saw Return of the King days before it went out of the theater. It was like having a projection studio in my basement.

#272453 - 19/12/2005 23:46 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Quote:
I do wonder if there's a movie you're interested in seeing while it's being advertised but uninterested in seeing later, if you're not just saving money by not seeing a movie that you really don't want to see.

Oh, no doubt about that at all! I think the studios would come out way ahead because of people like me. My movie spending would definitely increase. I would say your statement is true for 98% of the movies released. I don't have any inherent drive to go see movies; the ads are very effective. It'd be a far better use of the studio advertising budget. The ads for DVD releases are usually pretty weak & don't get me down to the store.

I know 1080i isn't 35mm quality, but it's good enough for me. LOTR in HD was fantastic, and I've only got a 32" set (although mind you my sofa is only 5' away due to a small room). Having my feet up on a leather ottoman, drinking beer and sitting on my comfy sofa more than make up for any loss in resolution. A few beers or martinis makes everything so much more vivid anyway!

-Zeke

#272454 - 20/12/2005 00:53 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: wfaulk]
Mataglap
enthusiast

Quote:
At the same time, I can't come up with a good reason for them not to release in multiple avenues at the same time.

Soderburgh is doing this with his next few films. DVDs for sale in the lobby on your way out. As well as "The movie goes out to theaters, DVD, and high-definition cable TV - all on the same day." (Google search)

It's hard to figure out if we geeks are underestimating "middle America" and Hollywood may be a profit generating dinosaur or if the world has changed and the failure of Serenity was just a fluke.

--Nathan

#272455 - 20/12/2005 01:30 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: TigerJimmy]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
How is it possible that nobody else wants to weigh in on this? Has nobody else seen the movie?

Everybody's too pissed about the popcorn

Now I hope everybody realizes that the whole "sex slave" thing is a joke. I will say, though, that especially since "O, Brother" my esteem for Mister Clooney fairly swells up inside my young, innocent breast. He was great in Syriana.

But enough sexual allusion. While Clooney was great, there were a lot of other reasons I think this movie needs your collective attention. Lots of reasons, but one that keeps jumping out at me is that I think this movie was one of the most finely cast pieces of cinema I can remember. Yeah, Matt Damon, even was dead on for role.

SPOILER ALERT. NO MOUSING WITHOUT INTENT....

Got an email today from the woman I saw the movie with. I thought her parting comment might amuse those of you who have seen the movie:

Spoiler:
"CF: V jbhyq znxr n irel cbbe PVN ntrag. Vg bppheerq gb zr gung vs nalbar jnagrq vasbezngvba sebz zr gurl jbhyq abg rira arrq gb gncr zr gb n punve naq pbzr ng zr jvgu gur cvapre-guvatf. Gurl jbhyq whfg arrq gb jnyx zr vagb gur ebbz naq fubj zr gur gbbyf. Be cbffvoyl whfg fubj zr n cvpgher bs gur gbbyf."

Great, sweeping movie.

#272456 - 20/12/2005 02:06 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
When the movie industry starts taking my time seriously enough to stop the BS habit of theatre only releases for new movies, then maybe I'll see more movies.

Why is it that movies are the only product that's released in one channel, then out of release, then in another later on? If they would let me see new movies on demand they'd have more of my money. There's lots of movies I want to see right after the initial marketing blitz that I don't want to see five months later at the DVD rental shop.

I find your outlook on this unusual. Now can you tell my *why* you don't want to see those movies 5 months later?

I remember the period roughly from 1969 to 1978. I saw more movies per year than in any time in my life. Dates in downtown Boston, military theaters (Stand up for the Star-Spangled Banner!), theaters overseas with subtitles. Oh, I miss those days! Revival houses in Cambridge (long sinced closed) where we could sit in the front row of the balcony and eat smuggled deli sandwiches.

I won't say that I have a love/hate affair with theaters, more that it is bittersweet. Now, post-VHS, the theater market much reduced and titled toward vacuous, formulaic blockbusters and sequels. Ticket prices too high and concession prices ridiculous. But I have reached an accomodation of sorts. For one, I don't buy the popcorn and, if we don't smuggle M&Ms, we plan lunch before/after with some care. As someone else suggested, I/we avoid popular shows in the first few weeks. You'll find me somewhere between the 3rd and 5th row, depending on the theater, where the screen fills the field of view, where the sound system will get past the occasionally inconsiderate whisperer, and where the angle to the screen means bobbing heads are not an issue. Is it perfect? No. (I hate most of the commercial stuff. But I love previews!) Is there a replacement? No.

Another friend married a gent who, bordering on wealthy, has a home theater system (72" screen, 14 powered surround speakers, 5 subwoofers, 1 sub-subwoofer and a full 42U of electronics) that I have reason to believe cost at least twice the price of my humble abode. Watched the super-duper version of 5th Element on it and some Peter Gabriel. Three of us.

Well, they're down in Portland, so going there for a movie would cost more than theater popcorn. Barring Lotto, and living in a condo, I am never going to have any sort of system that comes close to the scope of what I get when I get to the theatre a bit early and get that dead-center seat in the 4th row. I think that there are plenty of folks out there who don't stand a chance of owning any sort of home theater setup but who might manage, a few times a year, to buy a ticket to a matinee on a rainy day. Gad I hope there are still senior discount matinees (and theaters!) in 10 years!

OK, so theaters sometimes suck. But theaters are great.

Have I ever enjoyed a good comedy as much in a room of three people as I have a full, first-night theater crowded with my smelly fellow humans? NO!

Quote:
I know it's tied up in how movies are financed, but I really don't give a rats' ass nor do I care about the financial condition of movie theatres. I've bought enough $8 popcorn in my life.[/RANT]

Don't buy the popcorn. Or maybe just once a year!

Quote:
Please continue with your regularly scheduled discussion of Syriana.

-Zeke

Not sure how much more Syriana I can allude to without abusing the SPOILER bbcode!

#272457 - 20/12/2005 02:47 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: jimhogan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Jim - I think it has to do mostly with saying 'yeah I want to see that' after seeing the ad. I don't get that feeling 5 months later at the local Movie Hut. I think: 'oh yeah, I kinda remember that, what else is there?'.

The rest of your argument boils down to 'I like theatres, why don't you?', which is fine, but I don't really care for them. I can appreciate that you and others do, but I don't.

Quote:
we plan lunch before/after with some care

I don't like 'planning' on movies. I want them around when the whim strikes me. To me they're ephemeral sparkly things that come and go in and out of our lives. I want them to rotate about my life. I've got other things that need planning, like how to get in good quality skiing when the snow flies, or cutting the grass or painting the house, or mountain biking or going out to dinner with my wife (you know with conversations and everything!). I don't want to plan on a movie and neither I nor my wife have enough hours to rearrange to meet somebody else's schedule. I think a lot of people fit that mold who don't get to talk about the new releases at work because they don't have time to see them. Who has conversations about movies that just came out on DVD? (LOTR/Trek/Starwars fans I'm NOT talking about you! )

Anyway, I'm not saying in the least that theatres should go away. I like going when the stars align and me, my wife and my friends all have time to go (and it's raining and there's no BBQ to be had).

I just want to see more new movies. I think they should make that easy for me. I think they will make more money that way than even with DVD.

When any other product comes out I can get it via vendors a,b,c,d,e,f....why not movies?

-Zeke

Edit: Regarding comedy - I love a great live comedy and Broadway shows. I like real people in front of me, in the moment. It's better than any movie. But it's also a relatively rare occurence. I laughed my ass off at The Producers and at Spamalot. I even liked 'Moving Out', and I'm not really all that into dance, but those people were amazing athletes. I just don't get the same feeling about a movie theatre.

ps: The popcorn comment made it seem like it's about the money, it's not. It's about the hassle.

Edited by Ezekiel (20/12/2005 02:54)

#272458 - 20/12/2005 03:15 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
A few beers or martinis makes everything so much more vivid anyway!

I like seeing a show at the local AMC theater. They sell beer for $3.50 (and this ain't no cup, niether. I'm talking about a _glass_ of beer) and fresh cut fries or a decent soft pretzel for $3.00. Not bad considering that's how much you'd pay for a soda and popcorn. In the afternoons during the week the place is empty and they've got the best sound and seats in town. I'll only go there for movies that deserve to be seen on the big screen, though. Otherwise I'll wait for the DVD release.

#272459 - 20/12/2005 04:36 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: cushman]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I just wish Movie Pitchers would open back up here. It was the coolest cinema in the world. There were no seats, just couches. Ad you had a TABLE in front of you to hold all your food. And they served actual food. Hamburgers, steak, fries, chicken, you name it. The served alcohol. Not just beer and wine, but mixed drinks. You'd place yor order 5 minutes before the show, and 30 minutes in an usher would walk in the room with a low-key red light and deliver your food. Ahhhh.... wonderful experience. Some select screens were even for smokers. Yep, smoking during a movie. In public. Wow, those were the days.

#272460 - 20/12/2005 12:32 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: cushman]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

My nearest screen that serves beer and has comfy chairs is 40 minutes away.

I like it, but not an hour and 20 minutes travel time worth.

-Zeke

#272461 - 22/12/2005 03:28 Re: I would be George Clooney's sex slave. [Re: Ezekiel]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Jim - I think it has to do mostly with saying 'yeah I want to see that' after seeing the ad. I don't get that feeling 5 months later at the local Movie Hut. I think: 'oh yeah, I kinda remember that, what else is there?'.

This seems kinda like refrigerator syndrome. Look in jam-packed fridge with all your favorite foods...but nothing appeals. Maybe a diary is in order? Dear Diary, I *really* want to see _Syriana_. Then you will remember to rent it 6 weeks later

Quote:
The rest of your argument boils down to 'I like theatres, why don't you?', which is fine, but I don't really care for them. I can appreciate that you and others do, but I don't.

I'm not sure I was trying to make an argument for you to be like me. Bunny help you! More, I was just trying to lay the basis for the 105MM logical assault to follow

Quote:
Quote:
we plan lunch before/after with some care

I don't like 'planning' on movies. I want them around when the whim strikes me. To me they're ephemeral sparkly things that come and go in and out of our lives. I want them to rotate about my life. I've got other things that need planning, like how to get in good quality skiing when the snow flies, or cutting the grass or painting the house, or mountain biking or going out to dinner with my wife (you know with conversations and everything!). I don't want to plan on a movie and neither I nor my wife have enough hours to rearrange to meet somebody else's schedule. I think a lot of people fit that mold who don't get to talk about the new releases at work because they don't have time to see them. Who has conversations about movies that just came out on DVD? (LOTR/Trek/Starwars fans I'm NOT talking about you! )

Thanks. I can say that I have never camped out on a sidewalk in *any* sort of costume waiting to be the first in line for tickets to a sequelized movie.

That being said, I can say that a few years back I drove non-stop from Seattle to SFO to see Ian McKellen on stage (at the Geary, IIRC) then got in the old GTI and drove back to Seattle that night (slept in the car). It did not occur to me to demand that Sir Ian should appear simultaneously in Seattle.

I don't exactly equate movies with live theater, but, when I take the time to go to the movies --into that dark (hopefully quiet) hall -- I give myself over to the artists (for better or worse) for the duration of their artistic work. I don't readily remember walking out on a movie (perhaps I've chosen well!) but I am sure that day could come.

Anyhow, when I go to the movies, there is no doorbell, microwave, wireless Internet, pause button or Empeg BBS to distract from the movie that fills my eyeglasses. Under even the best of circumstances, this is not an experience that can be duplicated in my home, so I don't feel any need to demand that the movie studios deliver it to my home on the same day that they deliver it to theaters.

Funny, I often tend to think of myself as a poster child for instant gratification, but I guess you could give me a run for that title.

I watched "Motorcycle Diaries" at home from DVD on Sunday evening. I enjoyed it, but, boy-oh-boy, I wish I had gotten my shit together to see it in a proper theater.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not saying in the least that theatres should go away. I like going when the stars align and me, my wife and my friends all have time to go (and it's raining and there's no BBQ to be had).

I just want to see more new movies. I think they should make that easy for me. I think they will make more money that way than even with DVD.

When any other product comes out I can get it via vendors a,b,c,d,e,f....why not movies?

Let me say, in a very friendly way, that I *really* hope you don't get what you want. At least until I am dead.

In my mind, if what you desire comes to pass, one result will be a further decline in the customer base for movie theaters. Rich folks with 72-inch TVs will be quite content to watch the day-one SA DVD release of movies at home while maybe a few crummy super-blockbuster sequels play on the 3 remaining screens in poor neighborhoods in major US cities.

Quote:
Edit: Regarding comedy - I love a great live comedy and Broadway shows. I like real people in front of me, in the moment. It's better than any movie. But it's also a relatively rare occurence.

The further along I get, the more I have come to think that the magic is *all* about rare occurences.

Quote:
I laughed my ass off at The Producers and at Spamalot. I even liked 'Moving Out', and I'm not really all that into dance, but those people were amazing athletes. I just don't get the same feeling about a movie theatre.

I think I have seen "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" three or four times, but never has it seemed even as remotely funny as it was as a first-run feature in a theater in Cleveland Circle with a remarkably pretty woman laughing in the next seat.

Quote:
ps: The popcorn comment made it seem like it's about the money, it's not. It's about the hassle.

For me, it's about the money. Buying 8-dollar popcorn isn't much hassle. If you're rich!

Anyhow (sing Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pa-tion") I hope you continue to have to wait 5 or 6 weeks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >