Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#285308 - 10/08/2006 03:45 Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Thanks to a specific terrorist threat all airlines flying out of the UK are not allowing hand baggage. You can still take things like glasses (with out cases), contact lenses (with cleaning solution bottles), babies milk, travel documents, keys (but no alarm fobs) and a few other things on board, but just about everything else will have to be checked into the hold.

They are also carrying out extra searches, at the gate, on all passengers leaving the UK.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb

Edited by andy (10/08/2006 03:50)

#285309 - 10/08/2006 03:52 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Wow, this must be recent. I just left the UK on Sunday and this wasn't in effect.

#285310 - 10/08/2006 04:10 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Cybjorg]
andy
carpal tunnel

They made 18 arrests over night, this only came into effect at 03:30 this morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

Edited by andy (10/08/2006 04:14)

#285311 - 10/08/2006 05:18 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Wow, I'd love to experience a 10 hour flight without a book, laptop or mp3 player. I'd also love cheking my powerbook and camera gear. No travel through LHR for me until they get this worked out.

Matthew

#285312 - 10/08/2006 06:21 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: matthew_k]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
No travel through LHR for me until they get this worked out.

It covers LGW and I assume the others as well. Next they'll be making you go on naked

#285313 - 10/08/2006 06:27 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tman]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Its all UK airports AFAIK. All of Scotland's anyway.

#285314 - 10/08/2006 07:23 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Its all UK airports AFAIK. All of Scotland's anyway.

Yup. Everything is covered according to the BBC. They've stopped incoming flights to Heathrow because of the overcrowding as well.

#285315 - 10/08/2006 10:06 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tman]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Heh heh - the thought of traveling naked, especially to places like Faliraki, for example, really doesn't bear (bare?) thinking about.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#285316 - 10/08/2006 10:09 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Seems both reasonable and sensible, as the facts unfold.

#285317 - 10/08/2006 10:29 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: boxer]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
Seems both reasonable and sensible

Flying naked? I think I'll go to Blackpool for me next hols then.

#285318 - 10/08/2006 11:45 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tahir]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I understand from something that I was half listening to on late night Radio 5, that being seen naked in public is a common dream amongst people about to start a new job. Being retired, I don't have any fear of this.

#285319 - 10/08/2006 12:00 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: boxer]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Well, in dreams it is supposed to reflect to feelings about being unprepared or vulnerable. In any case, given most airline passengers, it is an image that I really do not want to give too much thought to... -shudder-

#285320 - 10/08/2006 13:24 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: matthew_k]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Wow, I'd love to experience a 10 hour flight without a book, laptop or mp3 player. I'd also love cheking my powerbook and camera gear. No travel through LHR for me until they get this worked out.

Matthew

I'm sure you'd love to land at your destination airport, too, as opposed to some impromptu skydiving (sans chute).
Wry comments aside, it surprises me that the people in police custody are English-born. What drives these people? Why are they so bent on hating everyone?

#285321 - 10/08/2006 13:27 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
I say we ban people. It is, after all, the next logical step.

#285322 - 10/08/2006 13:56 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: RobotCaleb]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I say we ban people. It is, after all, the next logical step.

Why not just anaesthetise passengers for the entire flight? They'll take up less space lying down, you don't need to provide a meal or inflight movie, and there's no way that they're going to get bored when they're asleep.

It also means that the most a terrorist can do to disrupt the flight is snore loudly.

#285323 - 10/08/2006 14:01 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Why not just anaesthetise passengers for the entire flight? They'll take up less space lying down, you don't need to provide a meal or inflight movie, and there's no way that they're going to get bored when they're asleep.

I have always thought that was a good idea, if it could be done safely. Everyone could be laid in their own separate escape capsule. If the plane got into trouble each capsule would eject in turn from the plane and parachute to the ground safely. The capsules would have builtin emergency beacons and inflatable skirts to make them float.

#285324 - 10/08/2006 14:28 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Robotic]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Wry comments aside, it surprises me that the people in police custody are English-born. What drives these people? Why are they so bent on hating everyone?

Well, it briefly surprised me (not this time, but last time with the Tube bombings) but then it occurred to me that being surprised means one more easily believes foreigners to be murderous than compatriots, which I then felt uncomfortable about. The whole "well, they were foreigners anyway" thing can make it too easy to avoid the question of what it is that drives any human being like you or I into doing these things.

Peter

#285325 - 10/08/2006 14:35 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Robotic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
the people in police custody are English-born. What drives these people? Why are they so bent on hating everyone?

They don't hate everyone. Just those who they feel are responsible for allowing infidels to occupy their holy land and attack their brothers.

What drives them is their religious leaders. What drives the religious leaders is the same thing that drives all religious leaders: Power.

If only the individual terrorists truly understood what pawns they were.

#285326 - 10/08/2006 14:54 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: RobotCaleb]
visuvius
addict

The most upsetting thing to me about this whole damn thing (the war on terror), is that it is never going to go away. Its just going to prepetuate itself till God knows when. Its like, our generations Communism, but more IN YO FACE (and more of a pain in the ass) via modern technology.

It just seems to me like the "terrorists" are never going to be pacified. Their actual gripes are never going to be addressed, and if that doesn't happen in one way or another, I doubt they are going to have some sort of epiphany. On the other hand, you have the West which is trying to protect itself but at the same time constantly poking a stick at the wasps nest. All of this is being driven by an incredibly profitable war machine. There are just way too many people making way too much money to want this thing to stop.

Maybe I'm just being really cynical and negative but I swear I feel like we're going to be dealing with this in 2056.

#285327 - 10/08/2006 15:05 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Apparently security has really tightened in the US as well. We have an attorney flying today, and her secretary is already compiling a list of items she's going to mail to her while she's on travel that she wasn't able to take on the plane.

#285328 - 10/08/2006 15:18 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tfabris]
visuvius
addict

What drives them is their religious leaders.

Its not just their religious leaders, its their leaders in general. The heads of pretty much all middle eastern countries disgust me. There is not a decent individual in that mix. Maybe, MAYBE the King of Jordan, and the President of Afghanistan (errr, Mayor of Kabul). Nothing is every done in the interest of the people.

However, these people have very real issues, and beating them over the head with Democracy is not going to solve their problems. We're constantly being told that they hate our freedom and all this nonsense. I honestly don't believe that is true. The taliban and a few other misguided assholes have massively distorted the image of muslims around the world. These people don't hate our freedom and a Caliphate from Spain to Indonesia is not exactly the number one concern at this point. But constantly saying that this is what we're fighting is a great scare tactic and makes for good copy.

#285329 - 10/08/2006 15:30 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Dignan]
speedy67
enthusiast

Loc: South-West-Germany
I wondered about not even being asked, what the hell the stuff in my bag (hand-luggage) is after Hugos BBQ. A bag full of electronic crap, empeg steel-cases, a top lid with sharp edges it cutted a hole in the bag, and this all with no identifiable sense. Noone even wanted to look ito the bag. And now the totally other direction, no hand-luggage allowed. I think, they are getting too lax, when nothing happened a while, and too strong for a short time if there is an actual threat.
Not that i am unhappy, not to have to explain, what empeg spare parts are and why i can't check this stuff in. (4 rio receivers in my back-pack was nearly too much, no space left...)
Lucky flying BBQ-attendees, that this didn't happen earlier...

cheers,
Thomas

#285330 - 10/08/2006 15:33 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:
Everyone could be laid in their own separate escape capsule. If the plane got into trouble each capsule would eject in turn from the plane and parachute to the ground safely. The capsules would have builtin emergency beacons and inflatable skirts to make them float.

The transport aircraft would have to be fully redesigned to accomodate these capsules and some sort of ejection or release mechanism...
Hmm... wait a tic- I think the Airforce has the perfect plane!

#285331 - 10/08/2006 15:41 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: speedy67]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
I wondered about not even being asked, what the hell the stuff in my bag (hand-luggage) is after Hugos BBQ. A bag full of electronic crap, empeg steel-cases, a top lid with sharp edges it cutted a hole in the bag, and this all with no identifiable sense. Noone even wanted to look ito the bag. And now the totally other direction, no hand-luggage allowed. I think, they are getting too lax, when nothing happened a while, and too strong for a short time if there is an actual threat.
Not that i am unhappy, not to have to explain, what empeg spare parts are and why i can't check this stuff in. (4 rio receivers in my back-pack was nearly too much, no space left...)
Lucky flying BBQ-attendees, that this didn't happen earlier...

cheers,
Thomas

I actually had the opposite experience. The UK version of the TSA was very interested in what I was carrying on to the plane. They disassembled my entire carry-on and swabbed each piece to be tested for explosives. In the process, the agent broke keys off my laptop keyboard. I later completely screwed it up when trying to snap them back on and broke the keys. Replacement keyboard only cost me $25, so it wasn't so bad.

Most of the crap from Hugo's shed was in my checked bag. I don't know if they tested that for anything, but the bag appeared to have never been open.

I flew to San Francisco with a brand new boxed empeg in my carry-on last weekend. In both NY and SF I was asked what it was and it was tested for explosives. They also tested my Karma for explosives in SF while they were at it.

#285332 - 10/08/2006 16:27 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: robricc]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Whoa.

A couple of months ago I went to a Lighting and Construction exhibition in Frankfurt with two of my cousins. At the end of the day we had lots of shiny plastic bags with brochures, samples, CDs, and one company gave us neat miniature Leatherman-a-likes. Little gadgets with an extremely sharp flip-out blade, a mini torch, pliers, mini saw etc.

So, three asian guys, Hussein, Salim and Aziz just walk straight through customs and onto a plane to London with these things in their carry-on luggage. Not a beep from anyone.

#285333 - 10/08/2006 16:28 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: robricc]
speedy67
enthusiast

Loc: South-West-Germany
I wonder if the size of the airport does matter or the flight-destination. Me flying from Stansted in the area of the EU, you from Birmingham to the US. It doesn't make sense, either.

#285334 - 10/08/2006 16:51 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Quote:

Well, it briefly surprised me (not this time, but last time with the Tube bombings) but then it occurred to me that being surprised means one more easily believes foreigners to be murderous than compatriots, which I then felt uncomfortable about. The whole "well, they were foreigners anyway" thing can make it too easy to avoid the question of what it is that drives any human being like you or I into doing these things.

While what you're saying is true, and should be at the heart of any attempt to solve these problems, the issue isn't that they're foreigners, it's the concept that they lived here for years and years, and were still engendered to attack. It's not that you view foreigners as more murderous, but the fact that they were murderous towards people they lived among, rather than complete strangers. And I think that that must also be taken into consideration when trying to solve the problem.

#285335 - 10/08/2006 17:25 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: andy]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
TSA just banned liquids.

#285336 - 10/08/2006 18:04 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: RobotCaleb]
Mataglap
enthusiast

So that means that having a bottle of water at a security checkpoint is illegal?

It's seriously eff'ed up.

#285337 - 10/08/2006 18:15 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: wfaulk]
Robotic
pooh-bah

I'll drop one more note about my 'english-born' comment...
The news is too fresh to trust. Other stories I've read state that the aprehended individuals were English residents.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >