Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293487 - 04/02/2007 23:30 Prince just pranked the Superbowl Halftime.
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
LMAO when I realized what he had done with the shadow show.

#293488 - 04/02/2007 23:33 Re: Prince just pranked the Superbowl Halftime. [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Explain for those of us not watching.

#293489 - 05/02/2007 00:01 Re: Prince just pranked the Superbowl Halftime. [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Well you've heard of Janet Jackson?

At the end of XVI halftime prince arranged for a big curtain to be blasted up in front of the stage with a spotlight back lighting him. The prank was that his guitar was unusually shaped such that it provided a large shadow stretching up and out.

Nuff said?

Edit: I'm predicting that the NEWS, the NFL, and the FCC will let it go unnoticed.
Edit: I'm also going to have to watch Leno tomorrow, I don't see how he can let it go without some comment.

Edited by gbeer (05/02/2007 00:12)

#293490 - 05/02/2007 04:23 Re: Prince just pranked the Superbowl Halftime. [Re: gbeer]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Visual aid:

#293491 - 05/02/2007 17:33 Re: Prince just pranked the Superbowl Halftime. [Re: gbeer]
music
addict

"Yes we know. It's nothing new...."

Seriously, though,
In rock-n-roll for the past 50 years, hasn't the guitar ALWAYS been primarily a Phallic Symbol?

I found it amusing, but I don't think people will get too upset.

We Americans seem to mostly only get bent out of shape about actual
nudity or strong language on the airwaves.

But near misses are OK.

We mostly don't seem to get upset about Baywatch as long as that last square inch of fabric is there, or saying "shiznit", or Seinfeld episodes featuring off-screen masturbation, or giant guitar penises a la Prince, or rhyming lyrics with one word bleeped, where the rhyme scheme only allows one possibility for the profane bleeped word, etc.

Just don't EVER show us a nipple or we'll totally freak out and fine everyone in sight!

#293492 - 05/02/2007 17:51 Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: music]
music
addict

Whereas everyone loves to hate on the GoDaddy commercials, I had no problem with it. Just a spontaneous party scene with hot chicks dancing around in slow-motion spraying water or champagne -- you know, like at the end of EVERY 80's teen movie, or EVERY 80's metal video you ever saw.

Not very offensive, not very original, not very good usage of their guest stars: Danica, the Teutels, and that Biker Chick, but just good eye candice (um, I mean, "eye candy") that fits their brand and their image.

[Digression: remember that Simpsons where a party randomly breaks out at the end while an invisible band plays Journey's "Any Way You Want It."
<chrisfarley>That was awesome!</chrisfarley>
and made me realize how often that seemed to happen in 80's movies (just like the training montages with background squealing guitars)]

On the other hand, I found the commercial from that sales lead company very crass, offensive, stereotypical, and dated.
"Use our product and you will get this Ferrari, this hot babe, this big house, get invited to dinner with the boss, not have to do any real work, and be able to give a condescending lecture to a subordinate about why he's a fool for working hard."

I guess if they would have made it cheesier and campier, I might have liked it, though.

On the good pile:
I loved the Coke video game commercial where the guy strolls around putting out garbage can fires, returning bags of money, hooking the homeless guy up with the convertible full of babes, and recovering the purse snatched from the old woman.

#293493 - 05/02/2007 18:02 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: music]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Quote:

On the good pile:
I loved the Coke video game commercial where the guy strolls around putting out garbage can fires, returning bags of money, hooking the homeless guy up with the convertible full of babes, and recovering the purse snatched from the old woman.

Not to mention the juxtaposition of black & white at the start of the commercial.

#293494 - 05/02/2007 21:29 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: music]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Not very offensive, not very original, not very good usage of their guest stars:

Including Kevin and Alex from Diggnation!

The commercials were pretty sub-par this year. That coke commercial "spoofing" GTA? That's been out for months now. They even play it in the ad block before movies in my area. Naturally, the ladies at my party loved the cute mouse in the Blockbuster ad.

The only ad that sticks out in my mind today is the Emerald Nuts commercial. That one was pretty funny.

#293495 - 06/02/2007 06:22 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: Dignan]
music
addict

Quote:
That coke commercial "spoofing" GTA? That's been out for months now.

That does not surprise me.
Between TiVo and Firefox AdBlock, the SuperBowl is almost my entire exposure to commercials for the year!

Hey, I even started coming to movies late to miss the 25 minutes of previews -- once every preview started being a contest to see who could be the loudest for two straight minutes and show the most explosions.

I want more nudity and less stuff blowing up! Of course, humor and plot would be cool, too. But that's a bit much to ask.
P.S. you don't have to change camera angles every 2 seconds to keep my attention either.

Quote:
The only ad that sticks out in my mind today is the Emerald Nuts commercial. That one was pretty funny.

Which one was that?
I also liked the speed-talking auctioneer hired as the wedding preacher
as well as the "fan-created" Doritos ad where the guy wrecks his car (and smashes his Doritos) due to looking at a pretty girl on the sidewalk.

One of my friends actually did that when we were teenagers (minus the Doritos).

#293496 - 06/02/2007 17:51 Re: Prince just pranked the Superbowl Halftime. [Re: gbeer]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I saw this rather neat preview on b3ta:

http://www.b3ta.com/board/6819776

#293497 - 08/02/2007 01:50 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: music]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Commercials were lame this year. Don't they cost like $1 million per second?! Why would anyone waste that advertising dollar on "salesleads.com", replaying existing ads, and showing us the entire CBS line up for the next three seasons? I don't even remember the good commercials because there were so few of them (in the second half, at least, which is all that I watched).

Maybe the Big Game commercials used to cost $1 million per second back on Fox. Clearly CBS couldn't price them low enough to attract anyone but "stereotypesalesleads.com", and had to fill the unused slots with explosions from every CSI city in the nation.

Seriously, the sales leads commercial is quality found only on 3am informercials on cable channels in the high hundreds. That's the equivalent of spam on page one of the Wall Street Journal.

#293498 - 08/02/2007 01:53 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: music]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Which one was that?
I also liked the speed-talking auctioneer hired as the wedding preacher
as well as the "fan-created" Doritos ad where the guy wrecks his car (and smashes his Doritos) due to looking at a pretty girl on the sidewalk.

One of my friends actually did that when we were teenagers (minus the Doritos).

That was the one where, if you fall asleep in the afternoon at the office, Robert Goulet comes and "messes with your stuff." I thought it was hilarious, and most of the people in the room with me didn't even know who Robert Goulet was. Then again, maybe they just didn't recognize him. He looked completely different...

#293499 - 08/02/2007 02:19 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: FireFox31]
drakino
carpal tunnel

2.6 million for 30 seconds.

#293500 - 08/02/2007 02:33 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: Dignan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Um, who is Robert Goulet? And who is Ricardo Montavon? I guess lions are smarter than me.

Drakino, thanks for the #'s.

#293501 - 08/02/2007 12:26 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Um, who is Robert Goulet? And who is Ricardo Montavon? I guess lions are smarter than me.

Robert Goulet - you might remember him from a small part of Beetlejuice. That's the only actual movie I've seen him in. I'm more familiar with him as a celebrity personality, and he's also a singer. [I find it interesting that when I went to his imdb page, I got a banner ad for the Emerald Nuts/Goulet campaign]

Then there's always Will Ferrell's portrayals: 1, 2

And who is Ricardo Montalban?

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!

#293502 - 08/02/2007 12:38 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
That emerald nuts ad is hilarious. I need to get some and hand them out to customers when they break thinks but no one will admit it and see if anyone gets it

Those SNL bits remind me of this Pat Boone record link

Matt

#293503 - 08/02/2007 20:02 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: Dignan]
music
addict

Quote:
Quote:
Which one was that?

That was the one where, if you fall asleep in the afternoon at the office, Robert Goulet comes and "messes with your stuff."

Oh yeah! I agree. That one was pretty darn funny!
I, too, had the Will Farrell impersonation running through my head.
That actually made the commercial viewing experience even better.

And, I actually own that Pat Boone album.
We listened to it in the car on the way to a Tenacious D concert.
It works for that.

And while I'm admitting shameful secrets, I will also point out that I
own and recommend "Hayseed Dixie" for those of you who are both
bluegrass and AC/DC fans.

(And if you hate both of those genres, stay far far away. It will be your worst nightmare.)

#293504 - 09/02/2007 12:30 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: music]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
Well I like both Bluegrass and Metal, but I think the 'novelty' of this would wear off pretty quickly!

If you hadn't heard the originals, you would find them good bluegrass tunes, although the lyrics would raise an eyebrow

I did love the Product Description here though!

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#293505 - 09/02/2007 14:55 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: pedrohoon]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Bluegrass + rock made me think of Enter The Haggis, but definilty not the same thing as what you were talking about

#293506 - 09/02/2007 15:43 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: JeffS]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Made me think of Iron Horse, who did Bluegrass covers of Metallica, and Modest Mouse. The latter of which is one of my favorite albums.... who knew Modest Mouse would translate to Bluegrass so amazingly well?

#293507 - 09/02/2007 16:56 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: pedrohoon]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
And, of course, there's a great album called "Pickin' on Zeppelin" which is bluegrass versions of a whole bunch of old Led Zeppelin tunes. Great listening. One of the guitarists on that album is the guy who did the Deadwood soundtrack.

#293508 - 12/02/2007 03:27 Re: Prince just pranked the Superbowl Halftime. [Re: music]
music
addict

Quote:
I found it amusing, but I don't think people will get too upset.
We Americans seem to mostly only get bent out of shape about actual
nudity or strong language on the airwaves.
But near misses are OK.

Well, I may have been wrong on that one.
Actually, people may not be upset per se, but you definitely weren't the only one to comment on this.

In fact, click here to hear what Amy Poehler had to say about it on Saturday Night Live yesterday.

Attachments
294315-poehler_on_prince.mp3 (83 downloads)

#293509 - 12/02/2007 06:26 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: tfabris]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
There's also "Strummin' With The Devil", the Van Halen bluegrass album that even has David Lee Roth on vocals on a couple of tracks

#293510 - 12/02/2007 20:19 Re: Bad Superbowl Commercial (and OK and Good Ones) [Re: adavidw]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
And I have a pink floyd bluegrass album, as well as the classic Beatallica album on the empeg. Sorry no links - am in a hotel with poor connectivity:-(

Fairly certain I have a Linkin Park bluegrass thing too. I'm sure a google will find 'em all. Worth listening to if you liked the pickin on led zep one.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#293511 - 13/02/2007 02:11 Re: Prince just pranked the Superbowl Halftime. [Re: music]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

I did see one article in the San Jose Merc. I think it was in the entertainment section and the gist of it was, "He's Prince, you expected different?"