Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#296403 - 01/05/2007 11:47 Re: TV sucks [Re: JBjorgen]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I loved the last episode of Heroes except for what looked to be serious character holes in this particular episode.

In particular the allegiance and actions of the Haitian and Matt seemed to make absolutely no sense. Especially the Haitian.

Spoiler:
Vs gur Unvgvna jrer qrnq lbh pbhyq nyjnlf rkcynva Zngg'f pbaqvgvba nf cneg bs fbzr oenva-jvcr cresbezrq ol Flyne hfvat gur Unvgvna'f cbjref.

Of course there was also the dramatic, though implausible scar on Peter's face...

It would also have been nice to see a bit more action - at least one good Matrix lobby-style sequence set to music.

Edited by hybrid8 (01/05/2007 12:28)

#296404 - 01/05/2007 11:51 Re: TV sucks [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm in complete agreement. For me, this was the best episode yet, and not just because we finally get to see these people use their powers (which has been frustrating me the whole season). I finally got to see some of these people stretch their acting ranges.

The guy who plays Peter completely surprised me, for example. I have not been impressed with him at all so far, but somehow he really turned up the badass mode to the max. I guess it would be hard not to if you knew your character was probably the most powerful person on the planet (and has a nifty scar).

Spoiler:
(abg zhpu bs n fcbvyre) Vg jnf nyfb cerggl vagrerfgvat gb frr ubj pregnva crbcyr raqrq hc tvira pregnva pvephzfgnaprf. Lbh'q cebonoyl rkcrpg Cnexzna gb raq hc nf n tbbq thl, be Avxv gb or rivy.

I'm excited to see the last three episodes, but I'm even more curious to see where the show is headed. I'm assuming that the bomb plot is just a season one story arch, and that next season they'll have a new challenge.

Edited by Dignan (01/05/2007 12:35)

#296405 - 01/05/2007 11:54 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Spoiler:
Vs gur Unvgvna jrer qrnq lbh pbhyq nyjnlf rkcynva Zngg'f pbaqvgvba nf cneg bs fbzr oenva-jvcr cresbezrq ol Flyne hfvat gur Unvgvna'f cbjref.

I'm not sure that's how Sylar's power works. I thought he had to get into their heads (excuse the pun) to get their power. He's not like Peter.

Edited by drakino (01/05/2007 13:08)

#296406 - 01/05/2007 12:13 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Spoilers, people, spoilers. Please edit.

#296407 - 01/05/2007 12:36 Re: TV sucks [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Sylar's powers do seem to work by him looking (or other) directly at the exposed brain.

Spoiler:
Juvpu vf jul V fnvq gur unvgvna fubhyq unir orra qrnq. Flyne jbhyq unir xvyyrq uvz ol gnxvat bhg uvf oenva nf ur qvq jvgu Anguna, QY, rgp. Nyy bs juvpu jnf irel boivbhfyl vzcyvrq ohg abg fubja va gur rcvfbqr. Jr qba'g xabj jura rnpu bs gur riragf gbbx cynpr ohg gung'f abg gung vzcbegnag sbe gur rcvfbqr.

Rira gubhtu gurl cebivqrq fbzr nqqvgvbany Vfnnp-onfrq cerzbavgvba, gurl qvqa'g cynl gur Flyne natyr ba guvf. Fvapr ur unf Vfnnp'f cbjref ur pbhyq unir rnfvyl frra jung jnf nobhg gb unccra naq unq cynaarq sbe vg. V'z jvyyvat gb qvfpbhag gung natyr gubhtu. Ohg gur Unvgvna punenpgre synj ohtf zr evtug abj. Znlor gur arkg guerr rcvfbqrf jvyy cnvag cnegf bs n zvffvat onpx-fgbel gung jvyy uryc rkcynva zber bs jul jung jr fnj "pbhyq unir orra."

V qvq YBIR gur Flyne gjvfg. N ybg bs snaf fcrphyngrq gung gur cebqhpref jrer bayl yrnqvat crbcyr gb guvax bs Crgre nf gur obzo jura va snpg vg jbhyq or Flyne. Va fgvpxvat gb gur fgbel yvar gur Vfnnp punenpgre ynvq bhg jr trg n zhpu zber vagrerfgvat gjvfg.

That's what SHE said.

Matt, edit the post where you quoted me - that's the line I enclosed as a spoiler in my last edit.

Edited by drakino (01/05/2007 13:07)

#296408 - 01/05/2007 12:40 Re: TV sucks [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Sorry about that. My posts didn't really have spoilers in it. You know everything I was talking about already. I tagged what limited spoilers were in my first post.

Sorry, I don't usually have many spoilers to offer. I don't think I've ever used the tags before

On an unrelated note (to Heroes), is there anyone else here who enjoys Supernatural? Sorry if I forgot. The show keeps surprising me. It's not the greatest show on TV, but in almost two seasons it has not once failed to entertain me, and occasionally give me some scares. Every now and then there's even some good drama (did anyone see the episode a few weeks ago named "Heart"?).

#296409 - 01/05/2007 12:58 Re: TV sucks [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I watched about half the first season, got bored and gave up. It looked like it might have been getting to something interesting, but I just couldn't be bothered to care at that point.

This is not to say that each and every episode after the last one I watched hasn't been brilliant, but those ten or so I watched ranged from boring to groan-inducing, with maybe one episode's worth of good stuff in there, all added up.

On the other hand, I'm watching The Dresden Files, which is probably not a lot better in reality, but which I find more entertaining, for whatever reason.

#296410 - 01/05/2007 13:05 Re: TV sucks [Re: Dignan]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about that. My posts didn't really have spoilers in it. You know everything I was talking about already. I tagged what limited spoilers were in my first post.

Sorry, I don't usually have many spoilers to offer. I don't think I've ever used the tags before

On an unrelated note (to Heroes), is there anyone else here who enjoys Supernatural? Sorry if I forgot. The show keeps surprising me. It's not the greatest show on TV, but in almost two seasons it has not once failed to entertain me, and occasionally give me some scares. Every now and then there's even some good drama (did anyone see the episode a few weeks ago named "Heart"?).

But you quoted a post that had a spoiler in it, and left everything in plaintext.
Also i have not watched Heroes yet, didn't get into it in time, so was waiting for the boxset.

Edited by BAKup (01/05/2007 13:07)

#296411 - 01/05/2007 13:23 Re: TV sucks [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The Dresden Files is infuriating to me. I don't know who's writing and directing that show, but it was all over the place in story, plot development, and just the basic premise.

Case in point: the creators seem undecided on how powerful they want Harry to be. For the first several episodes, he seemed able to do little more than open locks and track people. Then all of a sudden in one episode he channels lighting from the sky.

That's the kind of inconsistency I see in the show, and as I said, I think it carries over to all aspects of it. I find it even more puzzling because I recognize that this is based on a series of novels.

Regardless, I still watched every episode, and I'll watch next season if they bring it back, but I think this show has a whole mess of problems with it. I do think the lead is good in it, though.

You might want to give Supernatural another chance. I think there have been some great episodes recently. The main problem I see with that show is the insistence on casting people who are more pretty than they ought to be But hey, this is the CW we're talking about. If you can, check out episode 2x18, "Hollywood Babylon." It reminded me of that X-Files episode where Mulder and Scully go to a movie set, except that episode was terrible. And like I said, 2x17 "Heart" was very good. It's interesting to see how they could have dealt with Oz on Buffy.

#296412 - 01/05/2007 13:27 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Bruno, I'm still not understanding you.

Spoiler:
Lbh frrz gb or vzcylvat gung gur Unvgvna jnf qrnq va ynfg avtugf rcvfbqr. Lrnu, fher, nsgre Zbuvaqre xvyyrq uvz, ohg ubj jbhyq Flyne unir tnvarq gur Unvgvna'f cbjref orsber gung? V qba'g haqrefgnaq jung gur ubyr vf gung lbh'er gnyxvat nobhg.

#296413 - 01/05/2007 13:46 Re: TV sucks [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Matt,

Spoiler:
Ur'f fnlvat gung gur rcvfbqr jbhyq unir orra zber cynhfvoyr vs gur Ungvna jrer qrnq orsber gur rcvfbqr fgnegrq naq Flyne unq uvf cbjref. Vg pbhyq orggre rkcynva jul fbzr bs gur punenpgref unq tbar "onq".

#296414 - 01/05/2007 13:56 Re: TV sucks [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Also Silent Witness, which is still a going concern.

I don't know if you guys get it in the US, but Waking the Dead is pretty good.

#296415 - 01/05/2007 14:56 Re: TV sucks [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Matt,

Spoiler:
Ur'f fnlvat gung gur rcvfbqr jbhyq unir orra zber cynhfvoyr vs gur Ungvna jrer qrnq orsber gur rcvfbqr fgnegrq naq Flyne unq uvf cbjref. Vg pbhyq orggre rkcynva jul fbzr bs gur punenpgref unq tbar "onq".

Spoiler:

#296416 - 01/05/2007 15:13 Re: TV sucks [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Also Silent Witness, which is still a going concern.

I don't know if you guys get it in the US, but Waking the Dead is pretty good.

Yes, they show that on BBC America, which is where Silent Witness is shown as well.

#296417 - 01/05/2007 15:26 Re: TV sucks [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The Dresden Files is infuriating to me. I don't know who's writing and directing that show, but it was all over the place in story, plot development, and just the basic premise.

Case in point: the creators seem undecided on how powerful they want Harry to be. For the first several episodes, he seemed able to do little more than open locks and track people. Then all of a sudden in one episode he channels lighting from the sky.

Agreed. There were a hell of a lot of inconsistencies with that entire episode. I'm inclined to believe that it was a pilot episode that SciFi decided to show well out of order, when they probably shouldn't have show it at all, due to apparent changes in thought about the show. (You'll also notice that Bob didn't appear in that episode and Cruz's hair was much shorter than in the rest of the episodes. Also, a quick glance at TV.com shows that its production code was 1x01, and the notes also indicate that it was the pilot, not to mention that the name of the episode is the name of the first novel.)

I imagine that most of the problems you have with it are based on the channel's decision to show them out of order. And I'll bet the reason that they chose the ones they showed first is because they were packed with hot-babe guest stars. Regardless, the production codes, in order of airing, are: 3, 4, 5, 2, 7, 8, 6, 1, 10, 9, 11, 12. Production codes are not necessarily intended airing order (post on one episode might be expected to take longer than the filming and post of the next episode, for example), but it's a good guide, and that's obviously well out of whack. Of course, you can also argue that that doesn't make any difference -- that the show should stand on its own merits -- but then you have to include the airing channel in the list of defendants.

#296418 - 01/05/2007 17:20 Re: TV sucks [Re: JBjorgen]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Matt, JB is right on the money. I'm saying it SHOULD have been the way I described to have it make more sense. The way it was done exposes what I consider to be a writing flaw for that character.

But regardless of these flaws, there's nothing that could put it down at the level of 24 where every single line of dialog and script is a flaw. It's truly horrible but I'll watch it till then end of the season just so I can be justified when backing up my opinion.

I can't get into shows like Buffy, Angel, Supernatural, etc. The closest I got was Dark Angel and that went to crap in the second season and was deservedly cancelled (without any kind of proper ending unfortunately). I find these shows to be far too much cheeze. For unrelated reasons, I also can't get into Veronica Mars. It's just way too much of a chick show. An early high school or junior-high level chick show to boot. It just seems a little too much Hardy Boys vs. 90210 remix.

#296419 - 01/05/2007 17:51 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I also can't get into Veronica Mars. It's just way too much of a chick show. An early high school or junior-high level chick show to boot. It just seems a little too much Hardy Boys vs. 90210 remix.

Again, have you ever actually watched the show? It's far more like Key Largo than 90210.

#296420 - 01/05/2007 18:42 Re: TV sucks [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

re: Veronica Marrs

Yes, I've watched it. One episode straight through and portions of other episodes. It's not horrible in any sense that immediately comes to mind, it just feels like kiddy-fluff TV that has a real made-for-after-school-tv air to me.

I probably should have said Nancy Drew instead of Hardy Boys, but the point is roughly the same.

#296421 - 01/05/2007 18:52 Re: TV sucks [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Assorted commentary on Heroes:
Spoiler:
Jvgu ertneq gb gur Unvgvna: jr qba'g xabj ubj znal bgure cbjref gung Flyne znl unir npphzhyngrq. Fbzr bs gubfr pbhyq vaibyir gur novyvgl gb or cflpubybtvpnyyl fhttrfgvir. Vg'f pyrneyl inyhnoyr sbe Cerfvqrag Flyne gb unir cbjreshy zvavbaf gb qb uvf ovqqvat, bar jnl be nabgure.

Zber oebnqyl, guvf rcvfbqr qebccrq fb znal qvssrerag uvagf naq sberfunqbjvat ryrzragf bs guvatf gb pbzr. Zl urnq vf fgvyy fcvaavat. Urer'f n inthr nggrzcg gb pngrtbevmr gurz.

Bgure fcrpvnyf jubfr cbjref jrer nofbeorq ol Flyne:
- Anguna Crgeryyv
- Zvpnu'f qnq (V sbetrg uvf anzr)
- Pnaqvpr (gur funcrfuvsgre)

Bguref jub jvyy qvr:
- Naqb (sebz gur obzo)
- Zvpnu (pnhfr haxabja)
- UET'f jvsr

Phevbfvgvrf:
- Gur Yvaqrezna Ynj (hfrq gb ebhaq hc fcrpvnyf?) - naq jung rire unccrarq gb Ze. Yvaqrezna
- Avxxv/Wrffvpn - ybfg ure nygre rtb?
- Crgre'f fpne
- Gur neenatrzrag gung nyybjrq UET zna gb fcvevg njnl gur yrffre fcrpvnyf
- UET'f "nffvfgnag", fubg va guvf rcvfbqr, ybbxrq gb or Unaanu Tvgryzna (sebz gur tencuvp abiryf, jub'f tbggra irel yvggyr ba-fperra gvzr)

Bs pbhefr, gur znva cybg ryrzrag gurl'er jbexvat gb frg hc vf gung Uveb arrqf gb tb genva uvzfrys gb or n znfgre fjbeqfzna naq gb gnxr bhg Flyne. V rkcrpg jr'yy frr n ybg zber bs Ze. Yvaqrezna nf jryy. Naq, jr'yy qrsvavgryl unir guvf ovt dhrfgvba pbaprea jub, rknpgyl, vf gur obzo. Jr unir ab vqrn ubj znal bs gurfr nyg-shgher riragf jvyy unccra va gur "gehr" gvzryvar, ohg lbh unir gb vzntvar gung znal bs gurz jvyy vaqrrq pbzr gb gnxr cynpr.

Naq gung svany svtug fprar... whfg vzntvar. Obgu bs gurz unir nyy xvaqf bs cbjref, vapyhqvat Pynver'f ertrarengvba. Crgre pna fgbc gvzr, juvpu jbhyq frrz gb tvir uvz gur hccre unaq, ohg gura jr uneqyl xabj gur pngnybt bs cbjref gung obgu bs gurz unir znantrq gb npdhver.

Quite an amazing episode. I love this show.

#296422 - 01/05/2007 19:27 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
re: Veronica Marrs

Yes, I've watched it. One episode straight through and portions of other episodes. It's not horrible in any sense that immediately comes to mind, it just feels like kiddy-fluff TV that has a real made-for-after-school-tv air to me.

I probably should have said Nancy Drew instead of Hardy Boys, but the point is roughly the same.

Wow. IMO, that description couldn't be further from the truth. Simply watching the first 10 minutes of the entire series would be enough to tell you that this aint no Nancy Drew.

And I'm not sure what this "made-for-after-school-tv air" comes from. What kind of after school programming did you have growing up? Mine was nothing like that!

Re: the Heroes stuff
Spoiler:
V znvagnva gung vg jnf abg n synj. Cheryl ybtvpnyyl, zl cbvag nobhg ubj Flyne tnvaf uvf cbjref jnf gung V qba'g oryvrir Flyne pna tnva fbzrbar'f cbjre jvgubhg xvyyvat gurz. Gur Unvgvna vf fgvyy nyvir. Ubj qb lbh rkcynva gung?

Naq V znvagnva gung gur zbgvingvbaf bs nyy gur punenpgref vf ragveryl cynhfvoyr. Qb lbh ernyyl guvax vg'f gung zhpu bs n fgergpu sbe Cnexzna gb pneel bhg gur npgvbaf ur qvq? Jr'er gnyxvat svir lrnef bs fhcreurebf qrnyvat jvgu n obzo gung xvyyrq zvyyvbaf. V qba'g guvax gur snpg gung ur'f orpbzr qnex vf gbb zhpu bs n ernpu. Uryy, V qba'g guvax ur'f arprffnevyl "rivy." V guvax ur'f whfg fgenvarq, naq V'z unccl gb frr gung guvf fubj unf tenl nernf. V jnf fgnegvat gb jbaqre.

#296423 - 01/05/2007 19:52 Re: TV sucks [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just want to chime in and say:

Thank you everyone for putting the heroes stuff behind spoiler tags. It's on my tivo and I haven't watched it yet. The spoiler tags are working, and I'm not spoiled yet. I love you all.

And also to say:

Damn you all for posting about it. I'm really excited to watch it based on all the stir it's generating and because of the "best episode so far" comments. But I can't see it until later tonight, or maybe even as far out as Thursday. And here I am stuck in a cold server lab working on Vista wireless stuff. I hate you all.

#296424 - 01/05/2007 20:24 Re: TV sucks [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Matt, read slowly....

Spoiler:

Flyne qbrf ABG unir gur Unvgvna'f cbjref. V arire fnvq gung abe vagraqrq gung. Jung V fnvq vf gung gur Unvgvna fubhyq abg unir orra jbexvat jvgu Cnexzna nppbeqvat gb jung jr unir frra va bgure rcvfbqrf nobhg uvf punenpgre. Vg jbhyq unir orra n orggre svg vs Flyne UNQ xvyyrq uvz naq fgbyra uvf cbjref. Gung jbhyq unir gnxra uvz bhg bs guvf rcvfbqr jvgubhg gur ohyyfuvg punenpgre synj gung jr jrer yrsg jvgu. Vg jbhyq unir orra pyrnare. Jr qvqa'g arrq gur Unvgvna va guvf rcvfbqr sbe nalguvat guna n cybg qrivpr gb rkcynva gur qnatref bs nggnpxvat gung ubzrynaq onfr sbe gur urebf (gur Unvgvna pna oybpx gurve cbjref).

Flyne jvyy cebonoyl or qbar guvf frnfba. Ur'f jrnx. Pbzcnerq gb Crgre. Crgre'f bayl jrnxarff vf gung ur qbrfa'g xabj ubj gb hfr gur cbjref ur nofbeof evtug njnl. Nal cbjre Flyne rire tnvaf, Crgre pna nyfb tnva whfg ol orva arkg gb uvz. Fb gurer'f ab jnl ur pbhyq rire unir nf znal cbjref nf Crgre. Crgre'f punenpgre vf whfg nobhg gur zbfg cbjreshy fhcreureb gung unf rire orra perngrq. Ohg bs pbhefr gur shyy rkgrag bs gur cbjref ynetryl qrcraqf ba jung bgure crbcyr ur ehaf vagb. Fb sne gur jevgref unir abg qrzbafgengrq n yvzvgngvba gb uvf nofbecgvba bs cbjref/fxvyyf.

Bbs pbhefr univat hygvzngr cbjre qbrfa'g zrna lbh'er hafgbccnoyr. Pynver'f ertrarengvba novyvgl unf orra fubja (fznegyl) gjvpr gb or vagreehcgrq juvyr gur pnhfr bs qrngu vf fgvyy cerfrag - vg'f nf vs gur punenpgre xrrcf qlvat naq pna'g ertrarengr hagvy gung snpgbe vf pyrnerq. Ynfg frra nf gur funeq bs tynff va Crgre'f fxhyy naq cerivbhfyl n fgvpx/fcvxr va Pynver'f fxhyy (erzbirq qhevat ure nhgbcfl).

Naljnl, vagreivrjf jvgu gur perngbef unir fnvq gurl'er abg vagraqvat gb snyy vagb gur fnzr genc nf znal bgure rcvfbqvp frevrf naq gung'f fgergpuvat gur dhrfgvbaf jvgubhg nafjref bire zhygvcyr frnfbaf. Rkcrpg cybg yvarf gb or jenccrq naq arj barf fgnegrq. Vapyhqvat ryvzvangvba bs byq punenpgref naq vagebqhpgvba bs arj punenpgref.

Glad we cleared that up. Heroes. Best show on TV right now. Period.

Veronica Marrs: what my 13 year old daughter would be watching if I had one. :P My friend's wife loves it which just reinforces my opinion.

#296425 - 01/05/2007 20:35 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, that must be why it's on so many TV critics' best-of lists, right beside One Tree Hill. :/

#296426 - 01/05/2007 21:42 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

More on Heroes and the Haitian:
Spoiler:

Pbafvqre: gur Yvaqrezna tnat jnf ng fbzr fgntr va gur cebprff bs erpehvgvat Cnexzna gb jbex jvgu gurz. Yvxrjvfr, gur Unvgvna nyernql jbexrq sbe gurz. Yrg'f nffhzr gung gur Unvgvna naq Cnexzna raqrq hc jbexvat gbtrgure nf cneg bs gur Yvaqrezna betnavmngvba. Yvxrjvfr, jr xabj gung Yvaqrezna fhccbegf Anguna Crgeryyv sbe hygvzngryl orvat gur Cerfvqrag. Vg'f n ubc, fxvc, naq n whzc sebz gurer gb gur Yvaqrezna tnat (jvgu be jvgubhg Yvaqrezna uvzfrys) jbexvat gb fhccbeg Anguna Crgeryyv, nsgre ur'f cerfvqrag, cnegvphyneyl jura gurl znl abg xabj gung ur'f orra xvyyrq naq ercynprq ol Flyne.

In short, the wonder of this episode, and of the series in general, is that you can pretty much always concoct some way that everything fits together. Nothing about Heroes has honked me off like what happens every time I watch one of the CSI shows. My favorite, recently, was with this couple who put gasoline in their own home, hoping to fake their death, only a burglar/intruder managed to cause the house to ignite when they weren't expecting it. Bogosity #1: if you've just loaded your house with gasoline, and you decide not to light the match, you're certainly not going to sleep there until you know that you're not sitting on a powder keg any more. Bogosity #2: the show claimed the house fire couldn't start until both the gas fumes reached the water heater's pilot light *and* the window was broken, letting extra air in the house. (There's plenty of air in the house to support the fire.) Bogosity #3: Something about whether or not the chick had carbon dioxide on her clothes helped implicate her. Carbon dioxide? Please. That's even worse than every time the manage to zoom deep into an image and enhance it to get some incredible high fidelity result.

#296427 - 01/05/2007 22:00 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Non-spoiler quote:
Quote:
Peter's character is just about the most powerful superhero that has ever been created. But of course the full extent of the powers largely depends on what other people he runs into.

I suppose that's true, to some extent, since his power is really a meta-power to acquire other powers, and there seems to be no boundary to the sort of powers that are out there, somewhere. The related question of whether Peter can adequately control his powers was, I thought, addressed through his interactions with Mr. Invisible, who helped him learn how to control himself. As such, any future explosive events can, perhaps, be interpreted as being something he did deliberately.

(I'm sure that even Sylar needs to practice his powers. I'm modestly curious if/how Sylar figured out how to squelch the super-hearing he picked up several episodes ago, since that particular power doesn't appear to have an on/off switch.)

#296428 - 01/05/2007 23:44 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

My apologies for the confusion. I understand what you're saying now. And I apologize, but I only have two things I need to say about it:

Spoiler:
1) V fgvyy guvax gung svir lrnef nsgre n ubeevoyr rirag yvxr gung pna punatr gurfr crbcyr va jnlf gung pbhyq yrnq gurz gb nyy fbegf bs bhgpbzrf. V'z fhecevfrq lbh guvax guvf vf fb sne srgpurq.

2) Gur Unvgvna jnfa'g pbzcyrgryl hfryrff gb gur cybg bs gur rcvfbqr. Ur unf gur novyvgl gb fryrpgviryl pbageby jub'f cbjref ur vauvovgvat. Jr fnj guvf jura ur fgbccrq Flyne, ohg Rir jnf noyr gb hfr ure novyvgl gb znxr uvz hapbafpvbhf. Sbe guvf cnegvphyne rcvfbqr, gurl arrqrq uvz fb Cnexzna pbhyq vagreebtngr Uveb.

Okay, I'm done. I definitely don't think this show is the best on TV, but I do think it's improved as the season has progressed.

Bruno, it's apparent you have a different taste in TV. I guess we just have our own preferences.

But you're wrong about Veronica

#296429 - 02/05/2007 00:18 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: DWallach]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Spoiler:
Gvzr geniry pna ernyyl zhpx hc n cybg.
Jung jr fnj va ynfg avtug'f fubj juvyr vagrerfgvat jnf zbfgyl guebjnjnl. Bayl gur cnegf gung lbhat Uveb naq Naqb rkcrevraprq jvyy unir nal erny vzcnpg ba shgher fubjf. V qba'g ybbx gb frr zber nybat guvf yvar. Fbzr ubj V qba'g guvax jr ernyyl xabj jub vf tbvat gb xvyy WE. Fb gb fcrnx. Nf gurer frrzf gb abj or guerr cbffvoyr fhfcrpgf va gur ahxvat bs AL.

ps: Don't replace the word "and" with an ampersand inside of spoiler tags. Something in the function doesn't like it.

#296430 - 02/05/2007 00:37 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: gbeer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Spoiler:
Gurer'f ab dhrfgvba nobhg jub ahxrf AL - bayl ubj/jul. Vg'f Crgre naq vg nyjnlf unf orra. Vg jnf cerqvpgrq ol Vfnnp'f ivfvbaf, pbasvezrq ol Yvaqrezna naq ntnva va ynfg avtug'f rcvfbqr ol Crgre uvzfrys.

Gur ernfba ynfg avtug'f rcvfbqr jnf jbaxl sbe gur Unvgvna... Nf vf nccnerag gb gur nhqvrapr, gur Unvgvna jnf nyernql ntnvafg gur jvfurf bs gur pbzcnal cevbe gb hf qvfpbirevat gung UET jnf va snpg n orggre crefba ng urneg. Gur Unvgvna urycrq pynve, urycrq UET, rgp.

Ur jnf nyfb n shtvgvir sebz gur pbzcnal naq yvxryl bar jub jbhyq or ryvzvangrq vs sbhaq naq abg noyr gb or pbagebyyrq. Gung'f gur cvrpr gung jnf zvffvat ynfg avtug. Ab rkcynangvba be vaqvpngvba bs jung jnf tbvat ba jvgu uvz. Znlor jr'yy frr fbzrguvat gb rkcynva vg be znlor jr jba'g. Unq gurl abg unq uvz va gur rcvfbqr vg jbhyq unir whfg orra na rnfvre/pyrnare fryy (nf gurl nyfb yrsg bhg n ahzore bs bgure punenpgref, fbzr bs jubzr jrer zragvbarq nf univat orra ryvzvangrq).

I can still see some merit in the original CSI, but the other two shows are complete garbage. The writing and acting is totally sub-par, they're just annoying to watch. Far too many shows use bogus computer interfaces like the forever zooming digital enhancement or the fingerprint database search (seriously what kind of dumb-ass interface would display finger prints as it's searching them? - you'd be there for the next year waiting for it to finish.) But that works for most people, because you know what? The majority of the TV watching public are complete rubes. If you've ever worked various types of trade shows you can get a reallly good sampling of what comes out of the woodwork and how even people who work every day with different types of technology know next to nothing about it.

But nothing on TV right now is as bad as something I saw a little bit of a few nights ago. I was doing work and had it on in the background but had to turn it off before throwing up all over my keyboard. The Dukes of Hazzard in Hollywood. Wow, what a total crapfest. I thought for sure Veronica Marrs was going to show up and help them against the bad guys.

But hey, there's no accounting for taste. Some people think the performances on American Idol are better than those on the Rockstar show (the INXS and Supernova shows of the past two summers). It's like a blind person doing Etch-a-Sketch versus Van Gogh.

BTW, I think some of this post is missing... The spoiler tag content went all weird and I didn't use ampersands. For some reason some "oe" tags (HTML style with pointy braces) appeared scattered within it. I'll try not to edit this post again, lest it get even more cac'd.

Edited by hybrid8 (02/05/2007 00:45)

#296431 - 02/05/2007 01:08 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: hybrid8]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Spoiler:
BX, V jnf jbexvat haqre gur nffhzcgvba gung Flyne arrqrq uvf cbjre gb jbex orsber ur pbhyq fgrny bguref' cbjref. V qba'g frr ubj ur pbhyq RIRE ndhver gur unvgvna'f cbjre jvgubhg gur unvgvna nyybjvat vg. Nyy gur unvgvna jbhyq unir gb qb vf ghea Flyne'f cbjref bss. Nf gb Crgre'f fpne, gung qbrfa'g znxr frafr gb zr. Ur unf Pynver'f ertra. Ubj pbhyq ur cbffvoyl fpne? Vs Pynver'f trggvat ahxrq ol Fcenthr qvqa'g fpne, V pna'g vzntvar jung jbhyq. Rfcrpvnyyl fhpu n ubeevsvp (nyorvg pbby ybbxvat) bar.

Nf gb Cnexzna jbexvat sbe gur Pbzcnal, V gubhtug vg jnf cerggl fgenvtugsbejneq gung ur guvaxf ur'f qbvat gur evtug guvat. Uvf snzvyl jnf xvyyrq, naq ur oryvrirf ur vf fnivat gur jbeyq sebz gur "qnatrebhf" fcrpvnyf. Gur fnzr barf gung gbbx njnl uvf snzvyl.

Ng yrnfg, V guvax.

#296432 - 02/05/2007 01:16 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Spoiler:
Ynfg avtug'f pbasrffvba ol Crgre zrnaf abguvat gb lbhat Uveb'f ernyvgl. Sbe uvz gur obzo unfa'g unccrarq lrg. Ur'f bayl frra vg qhevat uvf whzcf sbejneq. Vfnnp'f cnvagvatf jrer arire fcrpvsvp nf gb jub gur oheavat zna vf. Gung unf bayl orra fhccbfrq ol inevbhf srneshy crbcyr, vapyhqvat lbhat Crgre uvzfrys.

Juvyr ynfg avtugf Crgre jnf gur oheavat zna, vg jnf bayl sbe gung cbffvoyr shgher. Vg qbrfa'g sbyybj gung lbhat Uveb jba'g punatr guvatf nsgre ergheavat.

ps: Interesting effect, if the closing spoiler tag is left off, the rollover effect is reversed.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >