Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3072 - 29/07/1999 13:33 Mac support?
gui

Hi, I know the web site says that Mac support is a possibility 'sometime in the future', but I assume that there will be no problems using Virtual PC to interface with the empeg ??
Not sure if VPC supports USB yet, but then I don't have USB ports on any of my Macs.
Rough calculations of how long it takes to shove 28Gb down a serial cable is rather depressing though!
Keep up the good work guys, can't wait to get my unit but I am #6223.
Maybe you should auction the first few hundred units!

#3073 - 12/08/1999 02:07 Re: Mac support? [Re: gui]
Trapped
new poster

Loc: Noordwijk, The Netherlands
VPC 3, which is scheduled to ship in September, will support USB, and PCI->USB cards can be bought for as little as $30. The VPC FAQ states "extensive USB device support", which may be something different than "complete" support. We'll have to wait and see. The current version of VPC has decent serial port support though (lots of people use VPC to talk to their PDAs), so it should be possible to upload to the empeg that way.

Empeg is supposed to ship with basic Linux downloader software, as well as the specs for the transfer format, so LinuxPPC/MkLinux might be a better option. I'm sure it won't take long for a GUI Linux downloader to be developed.