Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#314796 - 07/10/2008 20:54 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: LittleBlueThing]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
Oh, and you need to rethink TV too.

I have zero interest in 'live' TV. It's there to test that channel changing works. Hard to believe - you will.

Sometimes, as a novelty, we watch a TV programme *whilst it's still being broadcast*.

Currently we have to choose from 1026 episodes/programs, using 1.9 TB (1 month 14 days 9 hrs 48 mins) out of 3.6 TB.

I'll have to do some install piccies though.

If he's already got Sky+ then you're preaching to the converted. I'm enjoying my own portable PVR now using BBC iPlayer on iPod touch.

The one thing the myth box at work will have to concede to a sky+ will be the encrypted channels like Sky Sports. Although I am looking at Dragon CAMs an the like.

Andy M

#314803 - 08/10/2008 07:53 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: tman
Sending video around would be a nightmare considering the average home network. You'd need QoS as well and most home networking devices don't support that at all.

Perhaps -- but even the Blu-ray bandwidth is only 54Mbits/s, so a normal Gbit switch would theoretically do the job so long as nobody else is saturating the Gbit link from the switch to the media server.

Peter

#314804 - 08/10/2008 08:00 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I don't know of any single device that will tune to all available channels, decode them all and then distribute them around the house.

Modern versions of MythTV can do this for DVB-T/S/S2, at least for unencrypted channels. The only restriction is that you need as many tuners in the server as there are different multiplexes (not channels) being watched. Even that thing I lashed up can do it for DVB-T radio, though I never bothered trying to get video to work. It's all in UPnP AV v2.

[Edit on rereading your post] It doesn't "decode" them as such, of course; it distributes the raw, encoded MPEG2 stream around the house. But that's what you actually want.

Peter

#314805 - 08/10/2008 08:27 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: andym]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Originally Posted By: andym

I have zero interest in 'live' TV.

If he's already got Sky+ then you're preaching to the converted.

/me wonders why he said that....
Ah, I think I was mainly answering Archeon and his subscription/TV...

The one thing the myth box at work will have to concede to a sky+ will be the encrypted channels like Sky Sports. Although I am looking at Dragon CAMs an the like.

I've been thinking about a Dragon CAM for *ages* too.

But no conceding here.... I record using PVR350 s-video capture so I already get encrypted Sky channels from the normal sky box. The problem is that the SD picture quality is *so* good - even on my 120" projector - that I can't really be bothered with the CAM smile

To be fair, I do get occasional artefacts - Strictly Come Dancing has so much fast movement, glitterballs and the rest that the picture changes radically every frame... makes capture/compression quite hard (even for the broadcasters).

In general though I can't fault it.

#314810 - 08/10/2008 15:08 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tman]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium

Nope. Not much you can do about it. Buy more set top boxes or tuner cards + smartcards. The companies want you to buy more anyway. I don't know of any single device that will tune to all available channels, decode them all and then distribute them around the house. They do this in a hotel by having a stack of receivers.

That's a true shame. I'm guessing everybody who switched to digital TV has this problem, 'cause about everybody has more than one TV set in the house these days. The company that can come up with a simple solution to this that truly works will make some serious money me thinks. All that would be necessary is a centralised set-top box (in which then all the necessary CAM modules/Smart cards should be plugged) with multiple HDMI outs which could be each send out a separate video stream. You should then use UTP or something for the remote control return path.

Hmmm... here's hoping!

#314811 - 08/10/2008 15:09 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris

The RG-59 coaxial cable that was commonly used for regular television in many houses is a different grade than the RG-6 coaxial cable used to connect to DirecTV satellite dishes these days. I'm told that the RG-6 cable needs to be of a higher grade to carry power to the LNB of the dish itself, and that RG-59 will either not work or will melt through its insulation if you try.

Thanks for that Tony, that explains a lot!

#314812 - 08/10/2008 15:16 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: LittleBlueThing]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Unfortunately, we don't have such a thing like Sky+ or Tivo over here. frown . But my channel provider (Telenet) provides a similar service. That's why I would like to be able to use the Telenet CAM card in a different CAM module, but unfortunately they don't allow that. They made it like so that you have to use their own (inferior) hardware. frown I'm really hoping that the market will force them to release that obligation at one time or another, but I'm not holding my breath since (on cable) they don't have any competition here... (which is exactly the reason why I'm expecting more from satellite)

#314813 - 08/10/2008 15:26 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: BartDG]
tman
carpal tunnel

Eh? They've made a CAM but it only works in their specific set top box? Thats a bit strange...

From what I can tell, Telenet just use Nagravision and you can buy non specific CAMs for that.

Originally Posted By: nagra.com
In Belgium, Telenet launched digital cable services secured by Nagravision as part of its triple-play offer. Telenet continues to develop at a steady pace with currently more than 250 000 subscribers, a positive result taking into account that Telenet only operates in the Flanders region.

#314815 - 08/10/2008 16:34 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tman]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Eh? They've made a CAM but it only works in their specific set top box? Thats a bit strange...

From what I can tell, Telenet just use Nagravision and you can buy non specific CAMs for that.

I know it's strange, but it's like that. You receive their card, and you need to use it in their own set-top-box (which you need to buy or rent). Even more, you cannot even swap your card into the decoder of eg. your neighbour which uses the exact same set-top-box (because, as said, telenet's the only cable provider in Belgium), that also doesn't work. They do this like so because you can subscribe to more digital channels. If the card would be swappable between set-top-boxes, you could 'rent' your card to your neighbour if you wanted to. That's their explanation at least, which I find total BS BTW.

#314816 - 08/10/2008 17:04 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: BartDG]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Archeon

I know it's strange, but it's like that. You receive their card, and you need to use it in their own set-top-box (which you need to buy or rent). Even more, you cannot even swap your card into the decoder of eg. your neighbour which uses the exact same set-top-box (because, as said, telenet's the only cable provider in Belgium), that also doesn't work. They do this like so because you can subscribe to more digital channels. If the card would be swappable between set-top-boxes, you could 'rent' your card to your neighbour if you wanted to. That's their explanation at least, which I find total BS BTW.

Pairing the CAM and the box is fairly common. It just stops you from moving it around all the time. You should still be able to pair it with your own receiver card or box.

Originally Posted By: http://www.cardman.com/cams.html
Nagravision CAMs are famous for their BoxKey, in the multi-satellite world, when Nagravision is one of the few systems around where the smart card is mated to the CAM. This means that the CAM will expect to see a matching BoxKey value when the card is inserted or else the card may not work and will generate an error message instead.

So before you can use card and CAM together then they will need to be mated. Subscribers can often do this by telling their service provider their CAM's serial number. Another possibility is that the brand new subscription card will lock on to the first BoxKey that it sees. And for other people then you will need to convert this serial BoxKey value into the Hex version (just use a calculator) and then make sure that your card contains this Hex value BoxKey.

So once the card and CAM are mated then your system should work not unlike any other with the exception that you cannot then use this card in a different CAM. Well that is if your service provider is making full use of the Nagravision card mating system when they may also ignore it instead.

#314817 - 08/10/2008 17:37 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tman]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Pairing the CAM and the box is fairly common. It just stops you from moving it around all the time. You should still be able to pair it with your own receiver card or box.

I've never tried it myself, but from what I've heard, it cannot be done. Telenet will refuse to mate your CAM with a different box than one of their own. It's just another level of 'protection' (read:income) I guess... frown

#314820 - 08/10/2008 18:37 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada

The RG-59 coaxial cable that was commonly used for regular television in many houses is a different grade than the RG-6 coaxial cable used to connect to DirecTV satellite dishes these days. I'm told that the RG-6 cable needs to be of a higher grade to carry power to the LNB of the dish itself, and that RG-59 will either not work or will melt through its insulation if you try.

Thanks for that Tony, that explains a lot!

Specifically, the center wire in RG6 is substantially thicker than that in RG59, and the shielding is also usually better.

Cheers

#314821 - 08/10/2008 18:39 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

For one, is the coax cable used for connecting a TV to cable the same coax cable which is needed for satellite? In other words, if I run one of these cables to the room, will I still have the choice of connecting them to either a dish or cable? Or is this a different type?

Additionally, you can't just use a passive Y-splitter to connect multiple tuner boxes to satellite dishes, the way you could with regular TV cable. Instead, you need an active electronic device known as a multiplexer (sometimes mis-referred to as a 'splitter' by people talking about satellite dish installations).

And, of course, you need a receiver (tuner box) in each location you want to watch satellite TV.

Other than that, it's exactly the same as TV cable. smile

I wouldn't say they were 'exactly' the same. I find the sat cable is usually more sturdy with a better jacket, usually at least double screened with a solid dilectric and much better RF performance. I've used sat cable all over the house.

If you use a multiswitch then the current carrying capability of the indoor cabling is less important as the voltage and tone is there purely to tell the multiswitch what you want instead of powering the LNB as that's what the multiswitch does.

Andy M

#314822 - 08/10/2008 18:42 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: LittleBlueThing]
andym
carpal tunnel

I'd assumed you were referring to tahir since you addressed him at the start of your two posts.

I've been thinking about a Dragon CAM for *ages* too.

But no conceding here.... I record using PVR350 s-video capture so I already get encrypted Sky channels from the normal sky box. The problem is that the SD picture quality is *so* good - even on my 120" projector - that I can't really be bothered with the CAM smile

To be fair, I do get occasional artefacts - Strictly Come Dancing has so much fast movement, glitterballs and the rest that the picture changes radically every frame... makes capture/compression quite hard (even for the broadcasters).

In general though I can't fault it.

Hmm, it's the whole decoding and recoding thing that makes the broadcast engineer in me recoil in horror.

Out of interest, where do you get your EPG data from? From what I understand, when presented with DVB-S MythTV grabs it's EIT data from the FreeSat EPG. Even if you have a DVB-S card in your backend, how do you get data specific to the Sky premium channels as I understand the Sky EPG data is encrypted.

Andy M

#314824 - 08/10/2008 20:08 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: andym]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Hmm, it's the whole decoding and recoding thing that makes the broadcast engineer in me recoil in horror.

I know <shudder>.
The PVR350 does a surprisingly good job though.You can encode at a fairly high bitrate (8<mumble-but-m-or-M>b[p]s) though.

[edit, actually it's worse - it goes from the sky box RGB output (and it is RGB) to a decent VCR (yes, a VCR) that has an s-video output - and that is what is recoded]

We may have a big^H^H^Hhuge screen - but it doesn't hurt that we sit a fair way back!

Out of interest, where do you get your EPG data from? From what I understand, when presented with DVB-S MythTV grabs it's EIT data from the FreeSat EPG. Even if you have a DVB-S card in your backend, how do you get data specific to the Sky premium channels as I understand the Sky EPG data is encrypted.

Radio Times has everything we need (and I was the one who wrote the original +1 offset code for the XMLTV rt_grabber to get fake +1 channels when RT don't publish them)

I don't know about film/sport channels though, we just want SciFi and Sky One smile

Edited by LittleBlueThing (08/10/2008 20:15)
Edit Reason: added ugly hack

#314904 - 12/10/2008 08:24 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: andym]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Apart from being very jealous, I would think very seriously about putting fiber into each room.

Make sure that 'everything' goes in the apps room/basement. Nothing looks slicker in the living room than 'just' a Plasma/LCD or projection screen and nothing else.

Wow lots of responses. I've never used fibre, what's the benefit? Is there any real benefit in cat6, 7 or 8 for my purposes?

And yes, the idea is to have only a screen in every room, we'll have a fairly large plant room for the MVHR (mechanical ventilation and heat recovery) system and the thermal heat store (big super insulated water cylinder)

#314905 - 12/10/2008 08:29 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: andym]
tahir
pooh-bah

I don't know how big you intend the house to be, but I wouldn't feel comfortable running HDMI over distances any greater than a couple of meters, especially if the route the cable takes goes across other services.

It's a fairly large 5 bedroom house, mostly ground floor. These are fairly accurate plans (some changes have been made since)

Attachments
385 ground floor.pdf (389 downloads)
Description: Ground floor

385 Stock first floor.pdf (368 downloads)

#314906 - 12/10/2008 08:33 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: BartDG]
tahir
pooh-bah

Aren't two Cat6 cables sufficient for all that? I can always use a small unmanaged switch on those cables if two cables don't cut it, right?

Part of me says that, the rest of me says I really don't additional bits of kit in each room.

#314907 - 12/10/2008 08:34 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: BartDG]
tahir
pooh-bah

I'm hoping you don't mind the slight thread hijack Tahir, but I'm guessing this might also be interesting for you.

Very relevant for me. Where are you building, what kind of house?

#314908 - 12/10/2008 08:40 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: LittleBlueThing]
tahir
pooh-bah

tahir - I remember now smile
Yes, that'll be fine - PM me when you've got dates in mind and I'll check the calendar.

Excellent. Ours si virtually a bungalow, there'll be 20mm between wall and plasterboard on all external walls, and a 100 mm ceiling void, we're all flat (grass) rooves son no loft space.

You've lost me with all your nodetalk wink

#314909 - 12/10/2008 08:44 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: LittleBlueThing]
tahir
pooh-bah

I have zero interest in 'live' TV. It's there to test that channel changing works. Hard to believe - you will.

Sometimes, as a novelty, we watch a TV programme *whilst it's still being broadcast*.

Same here, we had Sky+ as soon as it came out

#314915 - 12/10/2008 10:53 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tahir]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Originally Posted By: tahir

Excellent. Ours si virtually a bungalow, there'll be 20mm between wall and plasterboard on all external walls, and a 100 mm ceiling void, we're all flat (grass) rooves son no loft space.

You've lost me with all your nodetalk wink

It's home-automation-speak. "Node0" simply means "the cupboard with all the ugly kit and lots of wires coming out". ie it should be hidden but accessible.

#314918 - 12/10/2008 11:05 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tahir]
LittleBlueThing
addict

And attached is a schematic of our hifi around the house.

All done through a single cat5 to each point. (I put in spare where I could)

Attachments
HomeMultiMediaDiagram.pdf (429 downloads)
Description: Schematic of multimedia distribution

#314919 - 12/10/2008 12:03 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: LittleBlueThing]
tahir
pooh-bah

Ta, gives me an idea or two.

#314920 - 12/10/2008 12:26 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tahir]
tman
carpal tunnel

I wish TiVo hadn't pulled out of the UK market. I bought one years ago and still use it albeit with some upgrades. It is only a S1 unit but I think the UI is vastly better than Sky+. Shame that its only single tuner and has to reencode everything.

#314928 - 12/10/2008 15:17 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tahir]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tahir
I'm hoping you don't mind the slight thread hijack Tahir, but I'm guessing this might also be interesting for you.

Very relevant for me. Where are you building, what kind of house?

Building near Bruges, Belgium. The house is a typical two storey building with a piramid shaped roof. This means straight walls on both levels, and as much room upstairs as there is downstairs. There's also a 7x7m attic, but that's entirely under the roof. (that 7x7 meter attic is the 'usuable room', meaning the room where an adult can stand without bumping his/her head. There also a bit more room beyond those 7x7 meters, since the entire roof is 13 x 13 meter. That 3 meter of 'crawlspace' around the usuable space is very handy to tuck wires in and to reach the level below through the ceiling with the obiligatory ventilation system. I'd have to look if I could find a decent .pdf file to put up here.

The house is entirely built from the ground up with energy saving in mind. In the ground plate there will be 15 cm of isolation (apart from the concrete ground plate which will be 20 cm thick) so the cold cannot get through the ground floor. In the walls there will be 10 cm of high-isolation plates. Below the room there will be 18 cm of isolating fabric. The house will be heated with a heatpump and ventilated with a mechanical ventilation pump with heat recovery fed with air that goes through a 'Canadian pitt' (don't know the term in English, but in essence this means that the air which is pulled into the house is guided through a 30 meter long 20 cm wide tube that is put under the ground 2 meter deep - the air that goes through this tube is thus pre-heated to the temparture of the ground, winter and summer 10°C-12°C - this has the advantage that in the winter you never draw in frozen air and thus can't kill your ventilation pump, and in summer this air can cool the house)

Also, the entire house will be run via home automation software. I've got the whole thing down, the only thing that is still bugging me is the aforementioned (digital) TV system. I also believe there is nothing cooler than seeing a nice larger flat screen TV on a wall with no cables coming to or leaving from it... but is seems this isn't possible with digital TV: you always seems to need those ugly set-top-boxes. Unless you put the box in a centralised storage room and stream the video feel over ethernet cables from there, but even then you need a set-top box per TV in the house, which I find ridiculous... I would need at least five of these stupid boxes... frown

#314929 - 12/10/2008 15:22 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: BartDG]
tman
carpal tunnel

I also believe there is nothing cooler than seeing a nice larger flat screen TV on a wall with no cables coming to or leaving from it... but is seems this isn't possible with digital TV: you always seems to need those ugly set-top-boxes. Unless you put the box in a centralised storage room and stream the video feel over ethernet cables from there, but even then you need a set-top box per TV in the house, which I find ridiculous... I would need at least five of these stupid boxes... frown

You don't need 1 box per TV if you're willing to accept that you can't have every TV showing something different. If there is only X number of people in the house on average then you won't normally need more than X tuners/boxes.

#314930 - 12/10/2008 16:36 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: tman]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

if you're willing to accept that you can't have every TV showing something different. If there is only X number of people in the house on average then you won't normally need more than X tuners/boxes.

Ok, scratch that. Currently it's just my wife and our son, but we plan on a second child. So that will be four set-top-boxes (eventually) smile
At least there's one bit of hope: our son is only a few weeks old now, and his sibling doesn't even exist yet. So by the time they both will want a TV in their room (say at least ten years from now), I'm hoping there will be a solution for this problem.
I'm guessing all I can do in the meantime is put as much future-proof cable in the walls as possible. I might even put in fiber, even though I absolutely have no reason or need for it now at all. But I'm guessing it might be useful in the future...

I must say I find it really stupid and maddening that all this is possible without a problem with 40 year old technology (analog TV), but new technology (digital TV) simply can't do this. That's not progress in my book. frown I wouldn't even care about this for the smaller TV sets in the house (eg. in the kitchen), but I don't want to risk putting those solely on analog knowing that in a number of years in the future, analog TV will dissapear completely. I can't imagine that those digital TV manufacturers haven't considered the fact that almost everybody has more than one TV set in their house nowadays. If they did consider this and decided they didn't care, that's just plain negligence...

#314931 - 12/10/2008 16:58 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Digital TV is available over-the-air for free, and without the restrictions of cable/satellite TV, in most regions. It's all a question of how strong the addiction is for specific channels.

smile

#314932 - 12/10/2008 17:12 Re: Whole house media distribution [Re: mlord]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
Digital TV is available over-the-air for free, and without the restrictions of cable/satellite TV, in most regions. It's all a question of how strong the addiction is for specific channels.
smile

Not in Belgium. In fact, the first (and only so far) company that provides Belgian channels via satellite subscription has only started their service three years ago or so.
But of course, to be able to receive these channels, you need their special smartcard. There are no Belgian TV free-to-air channels available, not even the regular channels. (I'm not even talking about specific subscription-based channels) frown I know, we live in the middle ages...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >