Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#324325 - 17/07/2009 16:57 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Bruno is always right

So the labour party need look no further for Gordon's replacement....oops! I don't do politics.
My regret is that I've found Canadians to be really nice people, when in Canada, and I went with a rather naive perception that they resented us, because of the former Empire.
I can recall in Vancouver, having a drink with some who said that the only trouble with the Country is too many rules(laws), which is rather the perception that Bruno is trying to foist upon us.
Vancouver is one of the nicest places in the World, an old friend of mine went there to live and, I think, died happy there - I'd love to go again.

#324326 - 17/07/2009 17:04 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: boxer]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Boxer
We had a mower stolen in the village 3 years back

Obviously you are living in the very heartland of criminality. Aren't you concerned about your safety? What kind of a miscreant would expose his family to such rampant danger by living in these excruciatingly deadly circumstances? You should move somewhere safe, like Rwanda or Afghanistan.

smile

tanstaafl.

#324327 - 17/07/2009 17:15 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: tanstaafl.]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
Obviously you are living in the very heartland of criminality

I've been unintentionally economical with the truth, we had a poacher killed when his 4&4 rolled on him in the night: I can't understand why people take these risks for wild rabbits, it's hardly big game!

#324329 - 17/07/2009 19:16 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: Cris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Cris
I don't really see the big problem with CCTV to be honest.

From the US perspective, most people here see an issue with CCTV in the UK due to the government controlling so many cameras in public places. This is likely due to the small government mentality that many here carry. I've never heard complaints about privately owned ones, and see quite a few cameras in stores, malls, and so on. Personally, it's not something I think much about, and find benefits with the CCTV cameras installed along the highways.

#324330 - 17/07/2009 19:34 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: drakino]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
What was this thread about?

#324331 - 17/07/2009 19:37 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: tahir]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I think someone was concerned they hadn't done enough for the BBS community, so to make amends they started the best flamewar we've had in ages.

Peter

#324332 - 17/07/2009 19:44 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: peter]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Excellent, now who's going to see if they can block Brunos Daily Mail sub? (Does he get the News of the World on sundays too?). Our Indian Takeaway doesn't go for anything as racy as the Mail, we have to make do with the Essex Chronicle, the same scary headlines with even less substance.

#324333 - 17/07/2009 20:01 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: tahir]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Why did I think that the Daily Mail was a reputable newspaper? It looks like it's about equivalent to the New York Post. Is it also a Rupert Murdoch rag? I must have gotten it confused with the Daily Telegraph. The (New York) Daily News probably got mixed in there somewhere, too.

Edited by wfaulk (17/07/2009 20:02)

#324337 - 17/07/2009 20:13 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: tahir]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: tahir
What was this thread about?

I don't know. Does anyone ever remember what a thread on this BBS originally started as?

#324338 - 17/07/2009 20:39 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Seriously, you don't have a problem with ... [o]ver taxation?

Forbes has a graph comparing overall taxation rates as a percentage of GDP. The US is at 28.5%, Canada at 33.5%, and the UK at 35.9%, a whopping 2.4% higher than Canada, and almost the lowest rate in western Europe, after Switzerland, Ireland, Portugal, and Spain.

#324339 - 17/07/2009 21:44 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: drakino]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: drakino
in the UK due to the government controlling so many cameras in public places.

Well look at what happened with the 7/7 bombings, they were able to track some of the movements back and catch people etc... If I am in a public space I don't really see the problem, if they were outside my house filming my front door then I may have an issue.

Is it really that much different here in the UK? Doesn't every government operate some kind of surveillance in big cities etc...

Cheers

Cris.

#324340 - 17/07/2009 21:48 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: peter]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: peter
I think someone was concerned they hadn't done enough for the BBS community, so to make amends they started the best flamewar we've had in ages.

smile

Some times it feels good to get it out of your system. And sometimes there is national pride at stake.

So there you go Chris you have made a valuable contribution in starting this thread, without even knowing you were doing it. Granted it may not be that clear a contribution, but if you look side ways at it I think it counts. I certainly feel I have come away from this thread with a little more understanding on certain topics!

Cheers

Cris.

#324341 - 17/07/2009 22:07 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Is it really that much different here in the UK? Doesn't every government operate some kind of surveillance in big cities etc...

This is one element that Bruno seems to have right. There are (supposedly) far more CCTV cameras per capita in the UK than anywhere else in the world. (Admittedly, I don't have numbers.) It's clearly become part of your culture. In the US, wealthier retailers will frequently have surveillance cameras indoors, cash machines have cameras, and parking decks frequently have cameras. But there are very few cameras that randomly survey public areas. And the only cameras I know of that the government operates are traffic light cameras. (Well, they probably have some security cameras inside some government office buildings.)

#324342 - 17/07/2009 22:49 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: wfaulk]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
FYI, the video cameras in ATM machines are High-def, but only record 40 seconds after a transaction. Found this out when we had a car broken into at work, and it turned out that since no one was using the ATM at the time, there was no video.

#324344 - 18/07/2009 06:03 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: lectric]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
This is one element that Bruno seems to have right. There are (supposedly) far more CCTV cameras per capita in the UK than anywhere else in the world

I think that was me actually!
Only today, here in Yorkshire, police were able to publicise a picture of a man wanted in a murder case, because he got on a bus with CCTV (We have an occasional problem with violence on buses).
That's fine with me!- I don't break the law, so I have nothing to fear.

#324345 - 18/07/2009 06:10 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: wfaulk]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
Why did I think that the Daily Mail was a reputable newspaper?

The awful irony of my rounding on the good old Daily Mail only struck me in the small hours: I went to Vancouver(LA & SF) at their expense in the 70's, having won the trip as a prize at a trade conference!
I've been waiting for this thread to turn its malevolence to the health & safety gestapo, so that I could point you to my favourite clip

#324346 - 18/07/2009 06:38 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk

This is one element that Bruno seems to have right. There are (supposedly) far more CCTV cameras per capita in the UK than anywhere else in the world.

You're going to need to do better than that, because the first "study" that determined that was amazingly flawed. It involved the "researcher" taking a walk from their city centre office and scaling up the density to the rest of the country.

Despite that the same "study" was rehashed again and again in the media for years afterwards.

#324347 - 18/07/2009 06:42 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

From the US perspective, most people here see an issue with CCTV in the UK due to the government controlling so many cameras in public places. This is likely due to the small government mentality that many here carry.

I think at this point we should point out that very, very few of these CCTV cameras in public spaces in the UK are controlled by central government. They mainly are under the control of: town councils, county councils, shopping centres, bus companies, train companies etc

#324348 - 18/07/2009 06:45 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: boxer]
boxer
pooh-bah

Heck, those Daily Mail hacks are quick getting on to a story, are they lurking here?
Today's front page heading of the colour supplement:

"Bruno Must Die"

Personally I don't subscribe to this, he's entitled to his opinions and, at the end of the day, this thread has been both fun and enlightening.

#324349 - 18/07/2009 06:48 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: boxer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: boxer
at the end of the day, this thread has been both fun and enlightening.

...and it almost got you talking about politics wink

#324351 - 18/07/2009 12:25 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: boxer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Heh. Until "they" decide that what you do is against the law. Until "they" decide to misuse data about you.

How would you feel if there was a policeman assigned to follow you around every day? How is this any different?

These are just the obvious arguments. There is a huge corpus of opinion on this subject from civil liberties advocates. Just google for "nothing to hide nothing to fear".

#324352 - 18/07/2009 12:56 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: wfaulk]
boxer
pooh-bah

I think I touched upon that point
Quote:
If I have a concern, it's that, in the name of terrorist suppression, laws are introduced that we would say "too right" to and then a whole sub culture apply them for the wrong purpose: Councils use spy cameras for litter issues, boneheaded security men stop people taking photos in public places etc. Then the media get hold of it and blow it out of all proportion and people in foreign places grab totally erroneous perceptions.

I've seen and read plenty along these lines, but I'd still prefer the cameras, and to trust to reason - otherwise your giving in to what you might call Robespierre syndrome, to take a lesson from history.
Incidentally, in this country I also frequently see and read of perfectly ordinary citizens calling for more cameras.

#324353 - 18/07/2009 13:09 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: boxer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Robespierre syndrome

A (delayed) backlash against the draconian and partisanly vindictive authoritarianism of the Reign of Terror?

#324355 - 18/07/2009 13:45 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: tahir]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Originally Posted By: tahir
Originally Posted By: msaeger
I do but not until next year I think it's too late to plant anything outside.

It's never too late, and right now is a good time to be ordering fruit and nut trees. Do you know what USDA hardiness zone you're in?

I am in zone 4 in a development with a 20k sq ft lot. They say to plant trees in the spring or fall so I was planning on doing a few next spring. I was thinking of just ordering a bunch of small ones from http://www.arborday.org then I won't have to worry about them all not making it.

We would like to do a garden too. I have really sandy soil so I think I would need to buy some or add something to mine. Maybe raised beds would be the best ?

Matt

#324357 - 18/07/2009 16:32 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk

Heh. Until "they" decide that what you do is against the law. Until "they" decide to misuse data about you.

How would you feel if there was a policeman assigned to follow you around every day? How is this any different?

Having visited the operations centre's for Manchester Council, Police and Highways Agency, it's nothing like Minority Report, in fact, if I had to draw a parallel to a film I'd say it was like Billy Baldwin's den in Sliver.... ie. 90's technology. I certainly didn't see the video equivalent of Echelon either.

The systems aren't connected, they're staffed by a rather lacklustre bunch of fellows (certainly not a 1:1 ratio to the number of people in Manchester) and the cameras are PAL quality at best. Those were the ones that are working, a sizeable chunk of the highways agency ones were out of action.

We have a dozen or so CCTV cameras at work which helped weed out the cleaner who was pinching stuff off people's desks. So I'd say that was worth having.

Andy M

#324358 - 18/07/2009 16:32 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: Cris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well look at what happened with the 7/7 bombings, they were able to track some of the movements back and catch people etc...

Similar happened in the US with the 9/11 attacks. CCTV cameras captured every one of the hijackers going through security at the airport. While CCTV in both cases provided valuable evidence for investigating what happened, it did nothing to deter the attacks. CCTV might do well for post crime investigations, but there are many conflicting reports about how much they help to prevent crime. This article says that the head detective of the Visual Images, Identifications and Detections Office at New Scotland Yard claims that CCTV was only useful for solving 3% of crimes. Other stories claim much higher, so it's hard to say for sure.

It depends. Most of them I see in Austin are all traffic monitoring cameras tied in with the road monitors to help identify what is causing a traffic jam. These cameras are operated by the state department of transportation, and are the only ones I know of controlled by a government entity outside surveillance of government buildings. This story from 2007 talks about some cameras in Chicago, New York and Los Angeles being operated usually by the local police departments. The NYCLU currently has an open lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security about information regarding the systems in New York, as they worked with the NYPD to design it.

Originally Posted By: andy
You're going to need to do better than that, because the first "study" that determined that was amazingly flawed. It involved the "researcher" taking a walk from their city centre office and scaling up the density to the rest of the country.

Even the ABC news article I posted above has the same stats in it, so it looks like a lot of places are using it as fact now. Channel 4 FactCheck looked into it and the methodology of where the numbers came from.

CCTV is definitely a useful tool for certain situations. But it's only one of many tools, and I would hope that most institutions using them realize this.

#324359 - 18/07/2009 16:38 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: drakino]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
This article says that the head detective of the Visual Images, Identifications and Detections Office at New Scotland Yard claims that CCTV was only useful for solving 3% of crimes.

Unfortunately the article isn't very clear on whether that's 3% of solved crimes, 3% of reported crimes, or 3% of all crimes. That last would be an impressive and worthwhile figure IMO.

Peter

#324361 - 18/07/2009 17:13 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andym
Having visited the operations centre's for Manchester Council, Police and Highways Agency, it's nothing like Minority Report, in fact, if I had to draw a parallel to a film I'd say it was like Billy Baldwin's den in Sliver.... ie. 90's technology. I certainly didn't see the video equivalent of Echelon either.

And, one would assume, it will never be upgraded.

Also, don't get me started on the abortion that is the movie version of Minority Report. It's a complete bastardization of the short story, with a completely different, possibly diametrically opposed, viewpoint.

#324362 - 18/07/2009 17:59 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I'm sure it'll be upgraded. But upgraded to something that can automatically recognise and track every person it can see on each of it's cameras? God knows. So the chances to being caught by the feds walking through Manchester city centre while wearing a hat is pretty much 0% at the moment. The idea that I'm being constantly watched by CCTV in this country is nonsense. I'm walking past the cameras and it's possible that I'm being recorded, but will anyone actually ever view the video and say 'Yes, that's Andy Marriott, why isn't he at work?', no. I'm sure once technology advances sufficiently then the US government will install it everywhere as well.

The best way to track me would be to look at my debit card transactions, you'd then know where I park, where I fill my car up, where I do my shopping, where I buy my lunch etc. That technology is in place in every developed nation.

Minority report was the only film I could think of... although if we use TV shows, then the CSI franchise always manages to use massively advanced CCTV footage to catch their criminals.

Andy M

#324363 - 18/07/2009 21:18 Re: Giving back to the empegbbs knowledgebase [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, what about when your government does something you don't like and you protest about it? Then they aren't looking for you. They're looking for anyone near that protest at that time. Then they come and detain you against your civil liberties. After all, they had no problem spying on you all that time; why should they be concerned about whether you've actually done anything illegal or not.

This isn't science fiction. This happened in the US under Bush.

"Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte."

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >