Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#369307 - 11/09/2017 01:56 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Putting my release candidate files here for safe keeping.

I don't recommend anyone use these until I get my test prints in and make sure the buttons don't fall out.

Also, these files are full of other objects like the JPG scan plate and boolean subtractor objects. The objects are hidden right now, but they'll still print. It means that, if you were to try to print these files without first deleting those objects, things would get weird.

But here the files are for now. smile

Attachments
Custom Empeg Fascia - Curved - WIP 39 - RC 1.blend (360 downloads)
Custom Empeg Fascia - Flat - WIP 37 - RC 1.blend (355 downloads)

#369314 - 12/09/2017 13:22 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Excellent!

Thank-you Tony, for bucking the trend here! smile

#369338 - 14/09/2017 03:57 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
No. Low profile socket cap screws look the same as a regular soc cap screw. Just the head is a bit shorter. Doesn't need as deep of a counterbore. Same look as before.

Quote:
I had thought about deliberately choosing screws of different lengths and such,

#369339 - 14/09/2017 04:17 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: gbeer
No. Low profile socket cap screws look the same as a regular soc cap screw. Just the head is a bit shorter. Doesn't need as deep of a counterbore. Same look as before.

My problem was the opposite one. The socket caps were the correct size, and my countersinks in the top of the fascia fit them perfectly. But the overall thickness of the fascia being 1mm thinner than before meant that, when I screwed the screws all the way down into the PCB standoff bolts, there wasn't enough "depth" in the standoffs to take the full length of the screws. So even screwed in all the way, the screws were still "loose" by about 0.5mm, meaning the fascia rattled loose with about 0.5mm worth of "play" and also, secondarily, the screws stuck up above the fascia by 0.5mm.

Since I needed to do another design pass at the fascia for other reasons anyway, it was easier to just make raised bezels for the screws (including raising up the beds of their countersinks by the same amount) like the original fascia design had.

#369414 - 26/09/2017 01:57 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The latest test prints of both the curved and flat versions of the fascia look great, but now the button holes are too SMALL despite tons of measuring and comparing with the original and with my other test prints. I was sure I had the amount of "shrink" properly compensated for in the 3D models. This stuff is hard to do! More versions forthcoming.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2