Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#369523 - 07/10/2017 20:47 Car covers?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I got a car cover for my new car to protect it from sap from the trees when I park in certain places that I park regularly where there is sap from the trees. smile

I like it and it works well to protect the car from sap from the trees.

However when it rains the cover gets wet. It keeps the car dry, but the cover itself, when I bundle it up and put it in its carrying bag and then put that bag in the trunk, retains a ton of water which pools in the bottom and gets gross if I don't take the cover out and let it drip dry somewhere.

Is there a such thing as a car cover that lets the water drip out of it when it's bundled up? Anyone know?

#369524 - 07/10/2017 23:50 Re: Car covers? [Re: tfabris]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Which model cover did you get and what fabric is it made from?

#369525 - 08/10/2017 00:37 Re: Car covers? [Re: K447]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO4MNSK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The material is a thin cloth which feels like a cross between parachute material and Tyvek. It's thin and light but very fibruous like Tyvek is. But soft.

It rejects water "sort of". No water gets through it onto the car, so it's waterproof, but on the outer-facing surface if it rains, water only *mostly* sloughs off, not all of it. The last time it rained, I shook the cover really good and got most of the water off, then I bundled it up and put it in its bag. After it was in its bag for a while, the water all managed to pool up in the bottom folds of the car cover. So when I unfolded it, a bunch of water came pouring out.

The problem with the water is that if I want to dry it out I have to hang it up in the garage (taking up a lot of space) until the water drips down to the bottom folds, and then pour that out, and then let it gather in different folds, then pour those out, repeat ad infinitum. If I just say "fuck it" and don't bother, it gets moldy real quick.

What I'm wondering is if someone makes a car cover that is porous so that the water runs out on its own: I don't care if my car gets *wet*, I care if my car gets sap or other things dropped on it.

I actually intend it to protect the car in two places: Parking under trees at a friend's house, and parking in the garage next to Attoparsec's welding and machining. (My last car had thousands of microscopic bits of molten metal embedded in its windows.)

So I don't need the cover to be waterproof, just sap-resistant and able to deflect tiny bits of molten metal.

I've been searching on the 'net and can't really find anything.

#369526 - 08/10/2017 01:22 Re: Car covers? [Re: tfabris]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: tfabris
... able to deflect tiny bits of molten metal.

I've been searching on the 'net and can't really find anything.
The fabric is actually doing this?

#369528 - 08/10/2017 21:38 Re: Car covers? [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Maybe you could spray your cover with one of those Superhydrophobic sprays? (no idea what that would cost though)