Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#371162 - 28/07/2018 00:40 What is This? How can I make it stop?
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
This thing started popping up on my screen. What is it and how do I make it go away forever?

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Annoyance.png

#371164 - 28/07/2018 04:05 Re: What is This? How can I make it stop? [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Is this inside your browser? Could be you've got a malware browser extension / plugin. Is it outside your browser? Could be some kind of native malware.

Do you use Steam? Is this what Steam chats look like? Could be some kind of Steam-related issue.

#371165 - 28/07/2018 04:23 Re: What is This? How can I make it stop? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Faolan
journeyman

That’s Steam’s friend/chat list, and it seems they are auto popping it up to promote some new redesign of the voice chat option with a recent update.

Doug, here’s how to disable Steam from auto starting at boot:
Open Steam
Go to the Steam menu - Preferences
On the left pick Interface
Uncheck the option next to “Run Steam when my computer starts”

#371166 - 28/07/2018 18:58 Re: What is This? How can I make it stop? [Re: Faolan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Faolan
Go to the Steam menu - Preferences
Easy for you to say. smile I stumbled around through the Steam website for the better part of half an hour before I finally discovered...

That seems to have done the trick. I had previously disabled the Steam in the Windows Startup menu, but to no avail.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Steam.jpg