Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#371661 - 11/02/2019 15:54 Smart Lock recommendations please
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'm buying a house and I'm planning to rent my finished basement on AirBNB.

So I'm going to have to put a lock on the new egress door that we're adding, and want to plan ahead for the AirBNB, so I'd like to have a smart lock. Do you guys have any recommendations? Is just something with a numeric pad the best option? Or I know some locks are capable of doing a temporary digital token that goes to a smart phone, but that sounds like a massive headache if it doesn't work perfectly. In my mind at least, it'd be nice to generate a unique combination for each guest and then have a log file of each entry that could be tied to the guest. Anything else I should consider? I've never done either a smart lock or AirBNB before.

#371662 - 11/02/2019 17:20 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
A lot of the bluetooth smart locks only work with very up-to-date iPhones. Others may work with recent Android versions, but not the majority of Androids out there. So check compatibility very closely. Anything that requires a non-PlayStore app is a non-starter, as is anything that won't work on Android 7 (Nougat).

-ml

Edited by mlord (12/02/2019 01:32)

#371663 - 11/02/2019 18:02 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Thanks Mark. I was thinking that sounds like a mess to try to maintain. I'm definitely leaning toward something with a numeric keypad that will accept a simple numeric code to enter.

#371667 - 11/02/2019 19:17 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

If you would go with non "smart" locks, then there are lots of basic keypad locks available. The ones we have here were from Lowes "Gatehouse" brand, and they have a physical key as well as 6-digit codes. Once can set several of those 6-digit codes to give away, including one-time codes etc.

The only trick would be to ensure that a "guest" doesn't add their own code to the lock.. But I think they would need to know the "master" code to be able to do that.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (11/02/2019 19:18)

#371668 - 12/02/2019 03:14 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've stayed at several AirBNBs. Probably the most common, at least for short-term stays, has been that they give you a PIN code you punch into some kind of electronic deadbolt. Whether they rotate the PINs or not, I don't know, but it means you (the client) never hold a physical key and the landlord has it easy to remove you if/when they want to do so.

For longer-term stays, I've just been given a physical key.

Once you go with something much smarter than "punch in a four digit PIN", you'll be dealing with tech support for your tenants. That doesn't seem like fun.

#371669 - 12/02/2019 04:02 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: DWallach]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Are there PIN code locks where the owner can remotely change or disable specific PIN codes? That is, rotate to a new code when each guest’s stay has ended (either automatically or manually by the host), and of course retire/erase the prior guest PIN code.

I suppose the next level would be some ability to remotely monitor and track the use of each guest’s access. So you could see when a new guest arrives for the first time, as an example.

Of course, any lock with any form of remote control must be viewed from the angle of potential ‘internet’ hacking or other unwanted lock behavior.

#371670 - 12/02/2019 04:59 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm not positive, but I believe there's an arrangement between Air BnB and August where they will distribute and change the codes for you.

#371671 - 12/02/2019 08:24 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Go low-tech: The last place I stayed had a combination-locked box for physical keys. Something like this.

#371672 - 12/02/2019 11:59 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
We have one of those key safes at home for our front door key (hidden round the back of the house).

They are not really in any way "secure" though, I'm pretty sure the combination lock can be defeated in a minute or so. Not a (extra) worry for us, as our location is remote enough that putting a brick through a ground floor window would be equally as stealthy as opening the key safe.

#371673 - 12/02/2019 12:12 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
If you would go with non "smart" locks, then there are lots of basic keypad locks available. The ones we have here were from Lowes "Gatehouse" brand, and they have a physical key as well as 6-digit codes. Once can set several of those 6-digit codes to give away, including one-time codes etc.

Like this one:

https://www.lowes.ca/electronic-door-loc...hTerm=gatehouse

Another useful feature is a timed automatic relock.

Edited by mlord (12/02/2019 12:13)

#371674 - 12/02/2019 18:58 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

I found this, which was recommended by several AirBNB hosts:

RBoy Apps Rental Lock Automator

#371675 - 12/02/2019 21:18 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Ugh. The more I read about the state of home automation/smart home stuff, the more anxious I am about committing to anything. So far I've just got an Echo Dot and a WiFi light bulb and a switch that I bought just to play with. But now that I'm buying a house, I'd really like to start working on a smart thermostat, some smart locks and doorbell, etc... and it's hard to know where to commit.

#371676 - 12/02/2019 22:38 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: andy]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Originally Posted By: andy
We have one of those key safes at home for our front door key (hidden round the back of the house).

They are not really in any way "secure" though, I'm pretty sure the combination lock can be defeated in a minute or so. Not a (extra) worry for us, as our location is remote enough that putting a brick through a ground floor window would be equally as stealthy as opening the key safe.

Yeah, that's my issue. Back side of the house has a lot of landscaping for privacy. A double edged sword...

#371680 - 13/02/2019 17:43 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
But now that I'm buying a house, I'd really like to start working on a smart thermostat, some smart locks and doorbell, etc... and it's hard to know where to commit.

Buy the house, and do nothing for a year. Learn your house, how it functions, and what it needs. Sure, home automation/smart home stuff, is fun, but with a house there are a lot of things that first need to get done to make it a home.

I too want smart thermostats, but I need to pull wires... Right now I'm really proud of myself for installing two roller shades last night - they only sat in the basement for 6+ weeks, and there is 14 more to go, and then the there is the blinds...

With that said, do have some fun smile

#371681 - 13/02/2019 20:03 Re: Smart Lock recommendations please [Re: JBjorgen]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Can't speak to a "smart" thermostat, but my automated ones (controlled via insteon) are really nice. I have seasonal changes preset, the fan cycles on and off to keep the basement office and den from getting ignored, and it's a quick click away to keep the heat up when either of us works from home (in the winter preset; it's not smart enough to do that by itself).

-jk