Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4227 - 08/04/2000 07:33 OK Guys, what do I need to do?
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
First off, what I know about ICEs you could write on the head of one very small pin. I need some advice on what I need to do and the best way to do it. I'm completely in your hands!!!

Right, I've saved up my francs (at the present CHF:GBP exchange rate, I'm sure as hell not moving my money back to the UK now) and I'm ready to buy a Mark II in June/July/whenever my name makes it to the top of the list.

I've got a VW Golf cabriolet, LHD, 1999 model (the new styling on the old, old chassis). The car came with a Blaupunkt 'Biarritz RDM 169' which drives the six speakers directly.

What I'd like to do is get an amp fitted now which I can feed from the Blaupunkt until I get my Empeg. When I do get my Empeg, I'd like to rip out the Blaupunkt and plug the Empeg in and have it working immediately.

The Blaupunkt has three sockets on the back - the documentation doesn't really describe them very well, but reading between the lines, one is for audio output to an Amp, one is for speaker output and the remaining one connects to the battery, lights, phone etc. etc. Is this likely to be a standard connection?

I have had a look on the Empeg site, but I can't seem to find any description of the connections on the back of the sled - is it likely to be the same?

Is this going to be easy? What do I need? Are there any sort of special installation requirements I need to be aware of?

Sorry to throw so many questions at you, and I've more than likely not given you enough information. I'm more than happy to find the information out for myself if somebody would rather provide good URLs.

Cheers,

Nick (8000 and something)

#4228 - 08/04/2000 13:05 Re: OK Guys, what do I need to do? [Re: debauch]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> one is for audio output to an Amp

We use RCA (phono) jacks which are the defacto standard. Even if your Blaupunkt uses something else it won't be a nightmare to chop it off and replace with RCA's when you change to an empeg.

> one is for speaker output

This becomes redundant

> the remaining one connects to the battery, lights, phone etc

This is PROBABLY an ISO connector, which the Mark 2 has fitted as standard. It provides constant and switched power, ground, mobile phone mute and headlight dimming signal all on one connector.

So in summary, if you get an amplifier working well with your Blaupunkt, switching to a Mark 2 empeg should be easy.

Rob