Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4625 - 02/11/1999 12:12 Radio Text monitoring?
drakino
carpal tunnel

Since I don't have my empeg yet, I haven't been able to poke at all the /dev devices it has. Is there a /dev device that has the radio text? A program I thought would be nice to have is to have something monitor the radio text of a station while the empeg is in MP3 playing mode. Several things could be done with this like monitoring for the traffic report and either switch to it instantly or record to a wav to playback after the current song. That also brings up another question, can the tuner be active while the unit is playing MP3's?

#4626 - 02/11/1999 13:30 Re: Radio Text monitoring? [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
No. There is a /dev which gives you error-corrected RDS packets, but processing them (and extracting radiotext, etc) is up to you. It's not hard, though, but you'll need the RDS spec really.

The tuner/RDS decoder is always active, but you can't record from the tuner. Switching to the radio when traffic announcements are broadcast is on the to-do list for the player software, as are other RDS features.

Hugo

#4627 - 03/11/1999 07:36 Re: Radio Text monitoring? [Re: altman]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
What about the AUX inputs?
Can we record/process sound from the AUX for later use (i.e. DTMF Processing for telephone)?
Thanks,

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#4628 - 04/11/1999 03:32 Re: Radio Text monitoring? [Re: altman]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Is the inability to record from the tuner due to the hard drive being mounted ro at the time? Or is it due to a hardware limatition, or other factor?

#4629 - 05/11/1999 11:46 Re: Radio Text monitoring? [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Mostly due to incompatible sampling rates, which means the sample clock can't be used. The radio runs at 38kHz.

Hugo

#4630 - 10/11/1999 09:34 Re: Radio Text monitoring? [Re: altman]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
If recording from the radio is possible, it might add an unexpected feature to the Empeg Player.
I found a story on ZDNet that talks about a radio recorder that holds about 8 hours of radio broadcasts. I think it's geared toward talk radio shows, but music would work, too (obviously not good quality sound). They're charging $200US for the hardware and $15 for the service. If the Empeg player could record from the Radio, couldn't we have this feature, too? You could program in a schedule, assuming it had power/antenna while the show was on.
Is the problem with sample rates permanent, or is it possible to fix?
Thanks,
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."