Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62492 - 24/01/2002 08:25 What sold you on HiJack?
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I've been debating about whether or not to install the HiJack kernal. I keep hearing that it has tons of features, and have seen the list on the HiJack site, but to be honest, it doesn't mean much to me because I don't "get it" yet. I guess the main hesitation on my part has been wanting 2.0bX to get sorted on my machine first (do I have shell shock from deleting all my artists starting with the letter C? - perhaps! ). I know the install will be simple with the LogoEditor and options like FTP sound cool in theroy, but I don't know much about the directory structure on the empeg to trust myself.

So basically, I am not knocking the HiJack at all. I stayed away from all the early posts on the subject because it seemed over my head. And now I'm trying to catch up. What convinced YOU to install it and try to sell me on the idea!

#62493 - 24/01/2002 08:59 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The most valuable user-facing aspect of hijack for me is the IR translation. Over time it has become more flexible than Frank's IR trans implementation, and allowed me to squeeze much more functionality out of my little 11 button Pioneer steering wheel remote.

The kftpd and khttpd daemons are going to be key in establishing a common platform where apps can install themselves onto the Empeg without manual intervention. They're also convenient for backup/restore stuff.

The other user-facing features are basically conveniences. Screen blanker, temperature warning.. Little niceties that add a little functionality here and there if you need them.

Then there's the breakout game. Can't live without that.

The one thing (and perhaps most underrated thing) that Hijack has is the I/O interface to user programs. The display output and IR input capabilities which allow a user program to seamlessly integrate into the player's UI. I used this for my trivia game and for a couple other projects I'm working on, and it's a real easy to use interface. Anyone who's out there writing things that will take user input and display output should be using it. After all, this was really the original inspiration behind Hijack, hence the name (it hijacks the player's input/output.)

#62494 - 24/01/2002 09:02 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does the volume adjuster work good?

#62495 - 24/01/2002 09:05 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: ]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Oh yeah I forgot to mention VolAdj (mainly because I don't use it.) VolAdj does dynamic compression, so if you like the effect of dynamic compression (volume auto-compensates for soft and loud parts in your music) then it "works good." I favor a track-by-track normalization such as what's in the works for some undetermined future version of the player software.

#62496 - 24/01/2002 09:10 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Initially, I had been avoiding hijack. I did not really need any of the IR translation or other utilities. Eventually, I decided to try it for the voladjust features and for the built in ftp / http. I have not looked back. My first hijack installation was v107.

#62497 - 24/01/2002 09:17 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: ]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
It does work well, considering what it is attempting to do. It is the feature of HiJack that I use most (which is why I ported to to the Rio Receiver as well).

There are some tracks that you have to turn VolAdj off for, because you get very obvious artifacts (the volume "pumps" up and down) with them caused by VolAdj. Thankfully these tracks are very rare and it is easy to turn VolAdj on and off with HiJack.

#62498 - 24/01/2002 09:36 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: andy]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
if you own an empeg put hijack on, even if you dont use it much, at least you will have the breakout game, now i cant think one person on this board could honestly say they dont or havent used that if they have hijack on there empeg

#62499 - 24/01/2002 09:36 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: andy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

You can connect to the empeg via the RioReciever when HiJack is installed?

#62500 - 24/01/2002 09:56 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: justinlarsen]
BinaryC
journeyman

the http daemon sounded cool, but the breakout game is what really sold me. I want to see more games on my empeg. I'd write some of my own if I could get my linux box up and figured out (I'm a windows programmer).

#62501 - 24/01/2002 10:51 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: BinaryC]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

There is a Tetris clone available at Brian's site. Go under Programming and then look for Tetris. Right now it doesn't yet integrate with the player, i.e. you have to quit to a shell prompt and then run it. Brian could probably port it to use Hijack's display/input routines but I'm sure we'd all rather have him working on his translucent/illuminated buttons hack.

I had thought about porting Emptris to Hijack myself, but it never topped my list of stuff to do.

In any event I did release a very early version of a Trivia game which does bind to Hijack, but most people claimed it was too difficult to install. Until we find an easy way to install programs on the Empeg (and no, putting them in the kernel is not the answer!) that's going to be the major stumbling block.

#62502 - 24/01/2002 11:23 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: tonyc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
One of my favorite Hijack features is the ability to turn off the annoying "Periodic checking" of the filesystems, that seems to happen about every 5-10 "sync" operations.

You know, where Emplode (or emptool) stalls for about 20 minutes while "checking media", when all you wanted to do was upload one track.. Time consuming, annoying, and totally unnecessary (the player will still check filesystems, but only when damaged).

The other biggie is "Restore DC/Car Visuals", which makes in-car operation of INFO/VISUALS the same as at-home operation.

Oh yeah, the PopUp knob-menu for functions that normally require the Rio Remote -- priceless!

-ml

#62503 - 24/01/2002 11:35 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: mlord]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yeah... Speaking of which, how about my suggestion of adding the "tweak order" buttons as a sub-menu to that PopUp?

#62504 - 24/01/2002 11:38 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: tonyc]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
What I like about voladj is that it doesn't manipulate the wav or mp3 file. If you don't like it, turn it off and play the song again.

#62505 - 24/01/2002 11:55 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bobh
new poster

Loc: Oregon, USA
I, too am considering HiJack. One important feature that I would like is the ability to switch between the Tuner and HDD via a knob press. This would let my wife (and me) switch modes (in and out of Tuner) without the remote or messing with menus.

Is this possible with the current HiJack? The list of features refers to:
- Long Knob Press (2+ seconds) cycles among input sources.

Is there documentation of this anywhere? And has anyone used this feature?

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,
Bob

#62506 - 24/01/2002 11:57 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: mlord]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Restore DC/Car Visuals is one of my favorites too, but I installed Hijack it because I have a tuner and wanted an easy way to switch between radio and the player which Hijack does wonderfully. I don't find the breakout game particularly fun (the Empeg is just not the ideal platform for video games), but it does get a laugh from people.

I have never said it before so I will say it now, thanks a bunch mlord.

#62507 - 24/01/2002 12:05 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: rtundo]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Well the normalization proposed for the Empeg player software doesn't touch the actual MP3/WAV file either. It just saves a "volume adjustment factor" and scales the volume accordingly the next time the song plays. (The first time you play, it analyzes the track to figure out how much normalization is needed.)

Not sure if they plan to let the user enable/disable normalization, but I would imagine it'd be available as an Emplode player config option at some point.

#62508 - 24/01/2002 12:19 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
No. HiJack only provides a basic web server for serving static files. To serve a Receiver the empeg would need code that answered the various HTTP requests that the Receiver works.

Unless you had a DHCP server and NFS server available the empeg would also need to provide these.

#62509 - 24/01/2002 12:39 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My primary reason for using Hijack is that it allows me to turn Voladj on and off easily, without having to resort to a shell script.

My second favorite feature is the ability to switch to the tuner by pressing and holding the knob.

My third favorite feature is the ability to redefine the knob-press to do other things.

#62510 - 24/01/2002 13:51 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Very similar to Tony F, I was sold on Hijack as soon as it provided a means to fiddle with VolAdj. Next were all those functions available from knob that normally require remote. Finally, there are ftp anf http daemons and all those useful /proc/* files. Ah, yes, I forgot remote key remapping: I just dug out a big old remote that happens to use the right code set; I will first try to define macros for key sequences I often use.

I currently don't use UI functions for userland programs, but plan to play with that a bit, too.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#62511 - 24/01/2002 14:06 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: bonzi]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
My friend did a funny little hack using the http daemon from Hijack. He wrote a quick html page that makes a call to the empeg and grabs the display graphic (which is used for the actual empeg display) and displays it in the browser, refreshing every second. So, he has his empeg display showing up in his browser.

#62512 - 24/01/2002 14:08 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: svferris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Or you could use my VNC server and actually control the empeg from the browser as well.

#62513 - 24/01/2002 14:20 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: wfaulk]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Wow, that is totally cool! I use VNC on my home computer to access it from work. I'll have to play with this when I finally install HiJack.

#62514 - 24/01/2002 14:29 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: svferris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

We need a FAQ for HiJack....

#62515 - 24/01/2002 14:37 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
Wasn't there a thread asking for someone to write up a summary/FAQ for hijack or did I just make that up?

#62516 - 24/01/2002 14:52 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: rtundo]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I know I posted it before... not sure if it was in its own thread. So, if it was me, than I am being the whiner! I just figured that asking someone to spend all this time working on the kernal and then turn around and ask them to also make a user friendly how-to site is too much... Two completely different mindsets doing that.

#62517 - 24/01/2002 14:58 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
Yeah. I'd be happy to do a how-to, my only problem is time. School and work take up most of my day. If anyone wants to work together I'm sure we can get something up in no time.
And if I raise enough money for a new server I'll have less work... and more time ; ) So buy my laptop here: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1326188125
; D Hehe. I have EmpegWeb(view and controll empeg throught http with Hijack) and Etherflash (to update kernel though ethernet) up at http://www.empeg.tk.

-Greg

#62518 - 24/01/2002 17:16 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: mandiola]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So the visuals are different in the car? I haven't installed my player yet. How are they different?

And I don't really expect anyone to answer this ignorance question, but, what the hell is a shell?

#62519 - 24/01/2002 17:24 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So the visuals are different in the car? I haven't installed my player yet. How are they different?

I don't know what gave you that idea. The visuals are the same in the car, they just aren't turned on by default. Every time you boot the player in the car, it switches to a text screen, which you can switch back to visuals yourself if you want. The reason for this is in the FAQ (although a moment's reflection should also tell you the reason).

And I don't really expect anyone to answer this ignorance question, but, what the hell is a shell?

In this context, it refers to the Linux command prompt.

#62520 - 24/01/2002 18:18 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
So to use the http or ftp daemons, can you just point your browser or ftp program at the empeg and go?

- Jon

#62521 - 24/01/2002 18:24 Re: What sold you on HiJack? [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yes, if they are installed and running (ie you installed hijack).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >