Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6525 - 21/01/2000 12:48 Empeg as XML/XSL site?
kremer
new poster

Loc: Israel
How about managing the entire Empeg database as an XML/XSL web-site?

Each track can have whatever the XML file describes it as: name of audio file, length, author, name of original CD or web site, prefered visual, prefered EQ setting, prefered volume. But more importantly, for different generes there are different fields of interest: group, composer, lead players, chorus, orchestra, name of classical piece and name of movement inside the piece, place of track in the playlist (info I miss about the classical pieces), name of album.

Attaching the right XSL to each XML file (giving the name of the XSL file as part of the data in the XML file) will allow the user to actually control which of all this info will be displayed and how (scrolling, flushing at beginning of track etc...).

Going even further, when MkII arives with Ethernet, it might be possible to edit the fields over HTTP.

(I admit not to know XML/XSL too deeply, but I hope what I describe here makes sense).

Unit 119, 6Gb, Blue

#6526 - 21/01/2000 15:19 Re: Empeg as XML/XSL site? [Re: kremer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

I find this interesting from the perspective of cross-platform compatibility. If done properly, it would eliminate the need for platform-specialized client software like Emplode. For instance, Macintoshes would just automatically work without there being a need for a Mac Emplode. You could just "upload" new songs to the emplode from their web interface, in much the same way that this BBS lets you attach files to your postings. However, all the target platforms would need the appropriate PPP-over-USB or PPP-over-serial drivers to make it work.

One drawback is that no matter how good you made your web-based management system, it would still be less feature-capable and would be slower than a dedicated program like Emplode. Emplode is pretty slick, and I'd hate to give it up in favor of a cross-platform web manager.

Then again, the concept of my Empeg having an IP address on my local LAN is simultaneously intriguing and disturbing.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.