Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#65491 - 01/02/2002 10:10 You are going to hate me for this....sorry!
NewBoy
new poster

OK, so I have ordered a player, it is delivered waiting for me to get home and collect it (I work abroad) so now I am starting to think about what I need:

Can anyone recommend some decent, good value (cheap is not the right word but you know what I mean) Windows based software for encoding my CD's

Also, I have the player, I have the car, I can plug in wires, but what should I be looking at in the way of amplifier? I am not an ICE junkie so do not really know what I am looking at, I hope I can get something good for less than 100gbp - there, that gives you an idea of what I know!

My car is a TVR Tuscan, it loud and fun, not the ideal place for top quality ICE hence I dont intend spending loads, plus I am not convinced I would notice the difference!

Thanks for any help, and sorry for what must be the most basic question, but hey, we all need to start somewhere!!

#65492 - 01/02/2002 10:22 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Hate you? Don't be silly!

I recommend MusicMatch. You can get the Basic version for free. It rips and encodes in one step and is pretty nice for the price! There is even a MusicMatch employee who posts here from time to time in case you have any questions. The popular solution seems to be a LAME enocoder, but it is not as easy to use. I have way too many cd's to be bothered with a 2 step process like LAME, but the sound you get is great. Many people on this board can help you with LAME. Just do a search on it.

As far as an amp goes, there was a recent thread here ...http://empeg.comms.net/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=empeg_general&Number=62596&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=2#Post63782

Congrats on the new RioCar!

#65493 - 01/02/2002 10:23 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
First, read the FAQ. Much good info there.

Second, I like EAC (free) for ripping. But there's a brand new version out that I haven't tried that some people seem to be having some problems with. Other people here seem to like AudioGrabber, as well. I can't think of anyone here who doesn't use LAME (free) for encoding to mp3, except for some folks who use their ripper's built-in encoder.

I'll let someone else answer about the amps.

#65494 - 01/02/2002 10:24 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
*musters up best tfabris voice*

Congradulations on your new toy! Definantly check the the FAQ. It has a ton of great stuff in it, including everything you just asked. As for value, you can't go wrong if you want the best quality with Exact Audio Copy and the Lame encoder. I hear some others (musicmatch, audiogalaxy/lame) are good as well though. Good Luck with everything, and definantly spend a ton of time getting your tags right the first time, it's worth it.

john

edit: dang, two minutes late

Edited by johnmcd3 (01/02/2002 10:27)

#65495 - 01/02/2002 10:58 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
tarkie
journeyman

£100 aint gonna get you much in the way of an amp. But for a little more money, you'll get something good! I spent £180ish on an Alpine (many others available at that price point too) - If your upto the install yourself, there are a number of good online ICE dealers (do a search on the forum they've been posted recently). If not, expect to get stiffed for about 2 hours labour on the fitting of the head unit and the amp (£50ish).

Put your name down on the tuner list ASAP too!

Enjoy your new toy when you get it installed, I know I still am!

#65496 - 01/02/2002 11:03 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
I personally like Media Jukebox with the Lame encoder plugin set to VBR high.

The stuff I started ripping recently with that program, sounds infinitely better than the stuff I ripped previously with musicmatch. Could be just because of the Lame encoder, but I like some of the other Media Jukebox features too. They (also) have a great online community, and the developers post and listen to the customers.
And I'ts only 24 bucks.
http://www.musicex.com

Just my .02 cents USD.

Z~

#65497 - 01/02/2002 11:07 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
I'm not sure how using Lame as an encoder makes it a 2-step process.

I use Lame from Grip and it's as simple as
  • Insert CD
  • Correct CDDB info
  • Press "Rip and Encode" button
  • Upload to empeg

#65498 - 01/02/2002 11:11 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: fusto]
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
I've been using Media Jukebox, and I love it: it uses the LAME encoder, plus all sorts of database management features. It's like an EMPLODE on steroids. I only wish someone would write a plugin to interface MJ to the EMPEG, then my world would be complete

Im not sure how picky you are with your car soundsystem, but I'm of the opinion that road-noise kills the benefit of real high-end systems. I got a 100W blaupunkt head unit that I bought for $120 american that does great in my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy!
-T

#65499 - 01/02/2002 11:14 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: tms13]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I'm not sure how using Lame as an encoder makes it a 2-step process.

I use Lame from Grip

Exact Audio Copy will run lame, too, making rip-and-encode a single operation. In fact, the installer for the latest EAC says something like "Now, you'll probably want to install lame too", or words to that effect.

Peter

#65500 - 01/02/2002 11:15 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
First off, I gotta say, YOU LUCKY BAR***RD.
TVR Tuscan and all....
Although most of roads around here would take out the sump, so I will have to stick with my truck.
For ripping etc I use either MusicMatch for all out speed and a great jukebox to boot or an EAC/LAME combination for stuff like Pink Floyd.

#65501 - 01/02/2002 11:15 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: TedP]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

How much is Media Jukebox? I used the first public version and didn't like it... but that was years ago.

too bad you can't get a LAME plug in for MM

#65502 - 01/02/2002 11:20 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
fusto
addict

Media Jukebox is beta testing version 8 right now. The offical release version is 7.2.
It's about 25 bucks US.
And its gotten a LOT better since version 5 which was about a year or two ago.
The Lame encoder is now built in too. Used to be a seperate license.
Z~

#65503 - 01/02/2002 11:26 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
ClownBurner

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
For ripping and encoding in Windows, it doesn't get any easier than CDex. It's an easy interface, it uses the LAME encoder (and supports the r3mix option), and is very quick. Best of all - it's free!

Use the 1.40 beta version, it's much better and I've never had a problem...

#65504 - 01/02/2002 11:30 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: ClownBurner]
TedP

SE Sport Driver: You can get a free version of MJ 7, MJ 8 will be pay only (about $25). It's well worth it: I switched over from Music Match, and I have no regrets. LAME is built in. MJ also has hooks for your own encoder, so if you want to specify command line options to LAME, you can do that as well.

-Ted

#65505 - 01/02/2002 12:01 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: TedP]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I am speachless! I just downloaded MJ 7.X and ..... wow. To think I paid for life time updates of MusicMatch...

Is there any way to point the CDDB info that MusicMatch has compiled to MJ? I popped in a CD that MM always recognizes and MJ had to do a new lookup... I am only online during the week mostly. I am also going to miss the defered CDDB lookup of MusicMatch.

I offically take back my recommendation for MusicMatch. It is a good product, but MJ simply rocks. I love how it will rip and THEN encode allowing me to eject the CD. The psuedo WinAmp interface is nice too. But having LAME built in is amazing. I'm going to go sit in a corner now.... I am on my 3RD!! re-ripping of my entire collection...

1st: 160kp with MusicMatch.
2nd: 160kps with MusicMatch set to "Very High" processing.
3rd: 192kps with MusicMatch set to "Very High".

I have over 600 cd's, and am at "N" for my 3rd run.... My poor poor laptop's DVD drive.. I think I am just going to continue from N to Z with LAME MJ and maybe go back for an album here and here... ouch.

#65506 - 01/02/2002 12:17 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
fusto
addict

Yeah, it's pretty slick.
Not sure about re-pointing your existing CDDB lookup data.
You could try posting to the Media Jukebox Interact community.
I've posted fairly often in the past, with good response.

#65507 - 01/02/2002 12:25 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: fusto]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Should I set it to "Digital Large Buffer" or "Digital w. Error Correction"?

(doing a search on that board now for the CDDB lookup)

#65508 - 01/02/2002 12:44 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
fusto
addict

I have mine set to Digital Large Buffer.
But I think thats the default, and I've never changed it.
Never really had an issue with error correction.
I suppose if you had some CD's in bad shape it could help though.

Z~

#65509 - 01/02/2002 13:13 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: fusto]
thrasher
enthusiast

I'v been using musicmatch and riping everything at 320kps. and it seems to be working great.

#65510 - 01/02/2002 13:31 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: thrasher]
huh
new poster

I've had problems with MMJB on ripping. I switched to EAC with Lame with the --r3mix option. Very nice. I suggest a review of the r3mix site (r3mix.net) Analysis section for anyone interested.

#65511 - 01/02/2002 13:50 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
TedP

if you're feeling bold, check out the beta 8 version. it's getting pretty mature (although less robust than the current EMPEG beta). Lots of new features. Enjoy!

Oh yeah.. digital large buffer seems to work best and fastest, but dont mess around your computer while it's ripping

-ted

#65512 - 01/02/2002 14:45 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: fusto]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I've been using MusicMatch for all my encoding until now. I'm trying to use Media Jukebox but when I attempt a rip & encode it says: "Open drive failed. Failed to find CD in drive." MusicMatch, WinDAC & Windows Media Player all rip without any problems. Has anyone else had this problem with Media Jukebox?

#65513 - 01/02/2002 14:47 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: TedP]
NewBoy
new poster

Wow, what can I say? Here I was thinking I would get bl;asted out of the water for asking the obvious, yet within hours I have a great bunch of recommendations - thanks and keep em coming!!

I already have the Radio addin, well, a maye in the USA bought it and posted it to Holland for me (Brit abroad) and it is yet to arrive, so maybe I should say I have bought it and am awaiting the Dutch postal service (lovely people, honest) to deliver it to me

If you are interested (or wondering) I have a bunch of pictires of my TVR Tuscan at www.gameplan2000.co.uk

Thanks to all who have and intend to reply, I take back all the "techy geek" thoughs I had before I came to this site ;o)

Cheers
Graham

#65514 - 01/02/2002 14:50 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
[homer simpson voice] mmm... TVRs [/homer simpson voice]

#65515 - 01/02/2002 14:54 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: NewBoy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Here I was thinking I would get bl;asted out of the water for asking the obvious, yet within hours I have a great bunch of recommendations

Welcome to the best online community on the internet.

We'd never blast anyone for asking an honest question. We only get upset if someone is being deliberately mean or insensitive. And if someone is genuinely dense, it's hard to talk with them on an intelligent level. And we won't tolerate trolling. But if you're here to ask honest questions and get straight answers, you've come to the right place.

#65516 - 01/02/2002 18:20 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: tfabris]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
HOLY COW!!!!!
When you said Tuscan I assumed one of the old ones! Now I know why you can only afford 100 quid for an amp.
Oh how I wish TVR had more dealers in the US.
TTFN

#65517 - 01/02/2002 20:13 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I suggest you not look at Audio Grabber then. Because you'll just end up switching apps yet again.

Bruno

#65518 - 02/02/2002 02:24 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: peter]
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
I'm running the latest version of EAC with the latest LAME but it seems EAC isn't the friendliest when trying to customize ID3 tags. For example, it won't write to ID3v2 tags (even though the option is there and selected) and doesn't write the year after accessing CDDB. Anyone know some work arounds? Or should I just switch over to MJ 7/8b? BTW, anyone have problems with MJ 8 beta?

#65519 - 02/02/2002 09:09 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: CurlyKicker]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
I'd wait a bit on MJ 8 Beta. Its got some issues, and some of the features, old and new are kind of wonky.
Its only been in beta for about 8 weeks.
Play around with 7.x until your familiar with it. That will also give you a benchmark for when you go to 8. You can see if anything is faster/slower, better/worse.
I had 8 installed only very briefly, cause it seemed to rip CD's a lot slower than 7. Could've been my imagination tho.
Also I'd rather rip my CD's on an official tested release than a beta.
Another .02 cents USD.

Z~

#65520 - 02/02/2002 12:46 Re: You are going to hate me for this....sorry! [Re: CurlyKicker]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
To get v2 tags to work, i went into the Compression Options -> ID3 Tag tab, then check Additionally write ID2V2 tags... blah blah... and change the padding to 15kb. I believe you also have to uncheck the Use ID3V1.1 option. Works fine for me! And as for the year... whenever you access CDDB it will blank the year our because the CDDB doesn't contain year information. So you can just add it after you do the lookup, and it will write it out fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >