Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#72218 - 15/02/2002 23:35 “Parental Controls” on the filters?
JrFaust

Loc: New Richmond, WI
My little girl rides in my car a lot (thanks Wendy Filters) but as she gets older she’ll figure out how to change the filter when I’m not looking and because some dim bulbs at work locked-up my player the other day messin’ with it (growl). Since I'm not a programmer how hard would it be to set up “parental controls” on filters and maybe other settings but the filters are the only settings I would like to see have a “parental control” option on it.

#72219 - 15/02/2002 23:49 Re: “Parental Controls” on the filters? [Re: JrFaust]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wendy Filters are the closest you're going to get to Parental Controls at the moment, I'm afraid.

I would suggest that anything with content that is inappropriate for your children could be removed from the player if your children are going to be around your player.

The only other option is to accept the fact that your children are going to hear profanity eventually, and you could take the opportunity to teach them how to deal with it appropriately, the way you think they should.

#72220 - 16/02/2002 01:18 Re: “Parental Controls” on the filters? [Re: tfabris]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
drugs are bad mmmmkay

#72221 - 16/02/2002 17:10 Re: “Parental Controls” on the filters? [Re: JrFaust]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
you mean like typing in an optional PIN to change wendy filters?

that shouldn't be too hard to implement. It could be a config.ini thing.

#72222 - 16/02/2002 17:28 Re: “Parental Controls” on the filters? [Re: muzza]
acurasquirrel

Loc: Georgia
Yes by the time they can figure out how to get around the wendy filters I can guarantee they have heard the profanity elsewhere

#72223 - 16/02/2002 23:35 Re: “Parental Controls” on the filters? [Re: muzza]
JrFaust

Loc: New Richmond, WI
Yes some thing like a PIN number would be great as long as it is an option. I don’t want to have to enter a PIN every time only after I’ve locked an option like a filter, power off, or any other option one might not want changed without permission.

See I thought of this last Thursday because I came back from lunch and I had left the Rio turned off on my work bench (I know, I know I should have taken it with me but…) when I got back the Rio was locked up and the buttons not responding. After a few minutes I got the Rio running to have Dr. Dre at full volume blasting. That didn’t go over very well (hehe) and of course “Not Me” was the response from everyone (at least my daughter would have told me that she had played with it) I did finally find out who "Not Me" really is.

Thanks for listening again,
JrFaust