Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7285 - 13/10/1999 13:00 Skipping!?!
eoghain
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I don't know if anyone else has ever had this happen, and it only happened to me once, so I'm not reporting it, but I thought you might want to hear about it.

The other day I stopped at a cash machine for a couple of minutes. I turned the car off and left the player in. When I got back in and started up the player booted up and started playing, but the music that came out sounded like it was skipping. I don't have any other way of describing it. It wasn't like a CD skipping where you get one bit of sound over and over, it just sounded like the song was playing twice with a 1/2 second delay between each version. I hit next song, and the problem continued. So I yanked the unit and put it back, which fixed it.

I regularly leave the unit in the car over night (in a garage) and have neve experienced this before or since. Just thouhgt I'd share.

Eoghain

#7286 - 13/10/1999 16:03 Re: Skipping!?! [Re: eoghain]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
There's a race condition which sometimes gets provoked in the caching code - I think this is what you're hearing. It's very hard to replicate, but when we do manage to work out why it happens we'll fix it :)

I've had it twice, but this was back on beta6 - I've not seen it recently.

Hugo

#7287 - 13/10/1999 18:17 Re: Skipping!?! [Re: altman]
Clarke
journeyman

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ USA
Funny, that happened to me last night. I'm running.... (quick check) Beta 7a currently. It was weird because I turned the unit off (using the buttons) and restarted, skipped songs and started a new playlist and the problem remained until I power cycled the unit by turned the car off and restarting. THe problem happened the same way. I was listening to music fine, stopped briefly for cash at an ATM restarted and had the same problem.

Hope that helps a bit Hugo.

=-C

______________________________________ Queue 351, Mk I, 30GB Mk II #60000022 80gb, Blue - docked Mk2a, 80GB, Bruface, lighted buttons and dial

#7288 - 13/10/1999 22:15 Re: Skipping!?! [Re: eoghain]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
Yes, i've had this too. On about 4 seperate occasions, also around the beta6 era. But i haven't used the car much since installing beta7

#7289 - 14/10/1999 00:56 Re: Skipping!?! [Re: altman]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I've had it twice, but this was back on beta6 - I've not seen it recently.

John fixed a bug that could definitely cause this type of behaviour and that fix went into beta7a IIRC. However, if people have reproduced it since then there must be another one somewhere.

It's likely to be a race condition somewhere during initialisation which is why it is persistent once triggered but a hard reboot normally fixes it.

Mind you, during development I restart the player many times and haven't reproduced this one for quite a while now.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#7290 - 14/10/1999 05:17 Re: Skipping!?! [Re: Clarke]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Ah, I see the connection now:

It's the proximity of cash machines.

;)

Hugo
ps: Mike just suggested that all that cash nearby is confusing the caching algorithm ;) (don't worry, I'll hit him)

#7291 - 14/10/1999 18:52 Re: Skipping!?! [Re: mac]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I just had this happen to me. My empeg is powered all times when in my vehicle and I inserted it and allowed it to boot. Then when I started the truck the power dipped and when the music started it began to skip. Like the other cases it was fixed by a hard reboot. I just put the beta7b developer image on before this happened.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#7292 - 10/11/1999 09:30 Re: Skipping!?! [Re: mac]
tadzio
journeyman

Loc: Munich. Germany

>I've had it twice, but this was back on beta6 - I've not seen it recently.

John fixed a bug that could definitely cause this type of behaviour and that fix went into beta7a IIRC. However, if people have reproduced it since then there must be another one somewhere.

It's likely to be a race condition somewhere during initialisation which is why it is persistent once triggered but a hard reboot normally fixes it.

Mind you, during development I restart the player many times and haven't reproduced this one for quite a while now.

Well, it just happenend to me also - running beta8a. It occured when I started the car while the empeg was running. Could it be that it has something to do with an incomplete initalisation, caused by the power not completely going away but just dropping by a few volts?

#7293 - 14/11/1999 16:39 Re: Skipping!?! [Re: tadzio]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
It's happened to me two or three times. I'm running 8a. It happens sometimes after I sync and the unit restarts. I haven't had it in my car yet.