Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#78 - 01/07/1999 03:40 MOD's, MIDI's and more?
drakino
carpal tunnel

Will the empeg be capable of playing other music formats such as the many MOD tracker formats? Also can it play WAV's and/or MIDI files?

#79 - 01/07/1999 06:39 Re: MOD's, MIDI's and more? [Re: drakino]
AndyG
new poster

Loc: UK
Can't see any reason why somebody couldn't write an add-in to play MODs. Not sure why you'd want to play a WAV - just convert it to an MP3 and save the space! MIDI is slightly different - the sounds are implemented in hardware, so would need some clever programming to get around this - the MIDI synth on the SouldBlaster Live holds a minimum of 2MB (basic synth) - this would eat a fair chunk of the available RAM unless the samples were held on disk, but in this instance I'm not sure if the disk could feed the soft-midi synth quickly enough. Any programming types care to prove me wrong?

- Andy

#80 - 01/07/1999 07:24 Re: MOD's, MIDI's and more? [Re: drakino]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Will the empeg be capable of playing other music formats such as the many MOD tracker formats? Also can it play WAV's and/or MIDI files?

The xaudio player used by the empeg-car has a pluggable codec capability. Theoretically we could support any file format that has a codec available. Standard codecs include one for WAV files.

Perhaps something could be done with timidity to provide a MIDI codec.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)