Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#84016 - 27/03/2002 18:30 VCR radio?
skeeter
stranger

Hey gang,

Anyone know if there is a radio out there that you can set like a VCR to switch stations on a timer? I tried the Cadet Radio card (ISA card for the PC), but its a lousy piece of hardware.

I've found a few radios that you can control from the PC, but none of them have timer options to program them to switch stations like a VCR.

Someone HAS to make one!

Skeeter

#84017 - 27/03/2002 19:24 Re: VCR radio? [Re: skeeter]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Not cheap, but one option is an ICOM PCR-1000 plus the program TalkPCR. There's a more modest version called the PCR-100, but I don't know if there's a timer-capable program for it.

There's another radio in this league called the WinRadio. I gather it has some active development as well, so you might find what you are looking for there

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#84018 - 28/03/2002 12:24 Re: VCR radio? [Re: jimhogan]
skeeter
stranger

Tried both, neither have timers according to their tech support people

Seems like a simple feature, I'm tempted to do it myself with macros, but I hate to start hacking so early in a project. The Cadet Radio has a timer, but is less than satisfactory in many other categories.

I just can't believe that SOMEONE doesn't make one...

Sandro

#84019 - 28/03/2002 12:29 Re: VCR radio? [Re: skeeter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you don't need the radio to actually switch stations, you might consider just using a VCR's line-level stereo inputs and tune a radio with line-out or headphone-out to the desired station.

#84020 - 28/03/2002 13:00 Re: VCR radio? [Re: tfabris]
skeeter
stranger

The timed recording isn't the problem (e.g. totalrecorder.com), its the timed change of stations so that I can record from multiple stations over the day... I guess I could find a radio that had a timer on it (I think a few Sangeaans do this), and time it in sync with totalrecorder, but if I could keep all the controls on the computer, I'd be happier

#84021 - 28/03/2002 13:07 Re: VCR radio? [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

If you don't need the radio to actually switch stations

Now there's a hell of an idea!

Skeeter, where do you want this recording to wind up? Do you care? Could you use VCR as Tony suggests? Or maybe a simple AT/timer record on your PC?

The more expensive ICOM will do it, but only with add-on software like TalkPCR (there are some other packages, even a Linux QtPCR, but I don't know if they have a timer yet). Yes, you'd probably be looking at $400+ even for a used PCR-1000 (be aware that the occasional non-cell-blocked PCR-1000 shows up on eBay and the price may be higher).

Actually, since BBC news doesn't come on the local NPR station until 1AM now, I am thinking of setting TalkPCR to "tape delay" it for me. I'll let you know if it works as advertised.

Edited by jimhogan (28/03/2002 13:09)

#84022 - 02/04/2002 00:40 Re: VCR radio? [Re: jimhogan]
skeeter
stranger

The VCR/Timed record on the PC is what I use now. I need the files to end up in MP3 format (so'z I can load in on the empeg:), but I need to record off of several different stations to satisfy my needs, so my current solution won't work.

I wasn't aware that the PCR-1000 had a timed station switch feature available even with aftermarket software. I'll look into TalkPCR, thanks for the tip!

Any other advice appreciated,

Skeeter

#84023 - 02/04/2002 08:58 Re: VCR radio? [Re: skeeter]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Skeeter,

You can download TalkPCR, but It occurs to me that you may not be able to run all the options unless a PCR-1000 is attached. So, I took the liberty of attaching a screen cap of the main screen with the timer screen so you can get an idea of what it does. You should also be able to take a gander at the Help files.

Good luck!

(edit: Oh, an on-line listing of some PCR-1000 software here .)

Attachments
83169-TalkPCR.jpg (1225 downloads)

Edited by jimhogan (02/04/2002 09:21)

#84024 - 04/04/2002 13:14 Re: VCR radio? [Re: jimhogan]
skeeter
stranger

Jim,

Thanks again! Look PERFECT. Pricey, but I'll bet the reception kicks major butt. I'm bidding on one as we speak that has the cell frequencies enabled, wish me luck. Soon as I get it, I'll buy Talk PCR and I'm in business.

I'll keep you posted, thanks again,

Skeeter

#84025 - 08/04/2002 15:33 Re: VCR radio? [Re: jimhogan]
skeeter
stranger

Well, mixed results so far. I got a nice and clean unblocked PCR-1000, but CAN'T GET IT TO WORK! ARGH!

I'm sure I've set the software correctly, but barely get even the strongest local FM stations. No AM at all, let alone shortwave. I've tried several large rooftop antennae, so I'm guessing somethign is wrong with the PCR-1000

The seller sounds like a good guy and is going to take it back. Guess I'll buy a brand new one for the extra few hundred bucks. Ebay giveth and Ebay taketh away, I guess.

Would you reccomend me checking anything simple before I box it up? I'm tuning to strong FM stations, setting all the filters correctly, and get zero to one bar of signal strength. Frustrating...

Skeeter

#84026 - 08/04/2002 18:25 Re: VCR radio? [Re: skeeter]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I'm sure I've set the software correctly, but barely get even the strongest local FM stations. No AM at all, let alone shortwave. I've tried several large rooftop antennae, so I'm guessing somethign is wrong with the PCR-1000 .....Would you reccomend me checking anything simple before I box it up? I'm tuning to strong FM stations, setting all the filters correctly, and get zero to one bar of signal strength. Frustrating...

Bummer. What to check? Well, I'm sitting here listening to local FM station on the PCR-1000 with the original antenna - barely better than a coat hanger. I can't speak to signal strengths in your location, but if you have decent FM reception in your location generally, but can't even get that, then it sounds like something's completely wrong with the unit (which is a surprise. There isn't much to go wrong).

If the PCR-1000 responds to the software correctly (shows tuning, volume, filters, etc.) I have a hard time figuring how you could set something wrong by default that would foul up reception. I'd probably still try a different software (ICOM in place of TalkPCR or vice versa) just to be thorough (you may have already tried this).

Some of these early units came non-cell-blocked out of the box, I think, while others required a little soldering to unblock. There were also some EEPROM hacks that were possible to screw up. I'd bet $10 somebody cooked that unit (like the guy who's selling it???).

#84027 - 09/04/2002 17:47 Re: VCR radio? [Re: jimhogan]
skeeter
stranger

Jim, you are a font of information, thanks for the help.

I tried a few different software packages, no difference. It does respond to the software correctly, even survives an 'eprom' check with talkpcr, says everything is just fine and dandy, no errors, no problems.

I can pull in way more on a cheap clock radio than I can with any big antenna I hook this thing up to. ARRRGH! Very frustrating. The guy took it back and gave me a full refund, so nothing lost. But I'm having a hard time tracking down an un-blocked version.

Guess I should just get a blocked version. Though I'd like to use it internationally and also see what's out there on the cell frequencies, it may not be worth the hassle.

Candian vendors are telling me it won't get through customs, which I seriously doubt. Not illegal to sell a cell-enabled version, just not legal to use in the US on those frequencies. AND the unblocked version gets you clipped for an extra TWO HUNDRED BUCKS! For a different eprom only?! Oh well...

Stay tuned, I'll get this working eventually. And they have a web client for it! Too good to be true, I can tune and record remotely! Boy, if I didn't have a tuner in my Empeg, this would definintely be the way to go. Spool up all my daily listening, record it in mp3 and drop it on the empeg. Who would want to listen to live radio for anyting other than traffic alerts?

Skeeter

#84028 - 07/05/2002 19:55 Re: VCR radio? [Re: skeeter]
Neo_to_Rio
journeyman

Loc: Silicon Valley
Over the years I've seen a number of learning IR remotes with clock-timers that can be programmed with macro command sequences. I'm not up-to-date on what's currently available. It's something that's probably considered to be in the "home theater" category.

If you can find one of these, you could take any remote controlled tuner and any remote controlled recording device (e.g. tape deck, VCR), and create a time initiated macro to perform the sequence of steps needed to change stations and control the recording.

#84029 - 07/05/2002 20:06 Re: VCR radio? [Re: skeeter]
Neo_to_Rio
journeyman

Loc: Silicon Valley
If you want to use your computer there are a number of devices that can learn and then generate IR control signals. One is made by JDS. www.jdstechnologies.com/xpander.html and there are others. Check www.smarthome.com or www.homecontrols.com
Smarthome has a PC to IR linc for about $100

#84030 - 24/06/2002 05:56 Re: VCR radio? [Re: Neo_to_Rio]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
If you download Audiotools from unrelatedinventions.com, that will give you your multi- timer recording to MP3 and loads of other useful stuff as well, through your soundcard.

The previous contributor has suggested how to use a remote to change stations.

Or, what I did was to use reed relays to emulate the preset buttons on my tuner and a bank of the very simplest of 24 hour timers (3 for £10) to operate the relays, retuning (approximately) sometime before you want to record.

N.B.
1. It's not much use if you have two programmes on different stations, one immediately after another. You would need to invest in digital timers for that.

2. You need something to reduce the current from mains to a suitable voltage to operate the reed relays. In my case, we had just changed the office mobiles from Erickson to Nokia and had a heap of plug tops, one for each timer.

3. All this is in the past, as in the UK, I can do all that you require in digital broadcasting, using a Wavefinder, which is a DAB receiver that interfaces with your PC.