Don't Laugh

Posted by: jets

Don't Laugh - 24/07/2002 08:23

i mistalkingly started to upload 1GB of data this morning using the serial connection rather than usb and i can't cancel the operation since the cancel button is grayed-out. what can i do to stop it safely? this is going to take forever!

help.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Don't Laugh - 24/07/2002 08:31

Yes, you should be able to stop it safely. By the time you send 1Gig over serial, your warranty will be up.

Re: Don't Laugh - 24/07/2002 08:33

Oh yeah, forgot to suggest how to stop it....

I would just pull the power while writing music (not the database). I don't think that should harm the player.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Don't Laugh - 24/07/2002 09:35

Nah, I'd say you should unplug the serial cable and wait for the transfer to interupt. Eventually the screen will stop saying "syncronising" and it will remount the drives read only. Then it's safe to unplug the power.

Matthew
Posted by: genixia

Re: Don't Laugh - 24/07/2002 11:03

Rob,

No! No!, and once more No!

Pull the serial cable and waiting for the timeout is definately the better option.

Re: Don't Laugh - 24/07/2002 11:12

Yes, I realize that my suggestion was assinine.

I am currently uploading an album through serial at work and it's killing me. I am thinking of pulling the cable.
Posted by: jets

Re: Don't Laugh - 24/07/2002 11:19

okie i yanked the serial cable and emplode froze. i killed the program from memory and restarted it. i saw the two diectories it managed to make with little red things on the playlist icons. i right-clicked them and deleted them.

i said to hell with all this and bought a new pcmcia ethernet card for my laptop along with a crossover cable for $80.00CDN. at least i wont need to bother with the router now, i have one card just for each internet and rio. i managed to configure the ip address of my player and everything is running smoothly. thanks guys!