Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question)

Posted by: Simon K

Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 03:30

Hi all... After years of wanting one i've finally joined the empeg club and should have my player in a few weeks. I'm in the UK and buying the player from the US (TTony's group buy in the "For Sale" forum).

What I would like to know is can i just cut off the US plug and replace it with a UK one?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 03:36

Most likely, the player you're getting will come with a power supply brick that has an IEC cord and socket (like the one on your computer). While the cord will be for US power sockets, you should just be able to swap out a UK one for it with no problems. And if you're like most of the rest of us, you've probably got dozens lying around.

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 03:43

Ahhh... a kettle lead Yep, loads of them! Cheers!
Posted by: andym

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 04:21

The two players I bought came with US adaptors. So I bought a power adaptor from Maplin for £10, works a treat. I also got an IEC PSU before the empeg shop closed.
Posted by: David

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 04:30

All Rio cars in the US shipped with a plug-top adapter.

Maplins do a Sunpower MA15-150 which is the IEC type we used for UK players. I believe the slightly cheaper plug-top version is an MA15b, but check first.

Otherwise, any 11-15VDC power supply with a 2.1mm centre positive (v.v.important) connector will be fine.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 04:54

If you feel real flush an IBM thinkpad power supply is the business.

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 05:37

Ok, i'm a little confused... are you all saying that I can't just swap out the US kettle lead for a UK one?
Posted by: sundayjumper

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 05:41

The power supply that came with my (US supplied) Empeg is definitely *not* suitable for use with 240VAC ! However, any UK power supply with the correct polarity & 12-16VDC output should be fine. The one from my scanner works OK, as does one I found at work that was originally used with an external CDRW drive.

Steve.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 05:50

Apparently, I was wrong. David is the most likely to be correct in this discussion.

I was under the impression that all the Mk2as came with an IEC brick-style power supply, but I guess I was wrong.
Posted by: tms13

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 05:52

If you get an IEC brick power supply with a separate lead, it will work with a UK supply using an ordinary kettle lead to replace the US lead.

If you get the US all-in-one supply that has the plug built-in, it's 120V only and you'll need to spend a tenner or so on a UK supply.

Does that make things clear?
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Using US RioCar in UK (power cable question) - 06/08/2002 07:00

Of all the MK2a's I ordered (8 in total), some came with an all-in-one PS (the 10 gigs) and others (the 60gigs) came with a brick-style PS.