Cincinnati Meet - Update

Posted by: Laura

Cincinnati Meet - Update - 29/08/2002 04:29

The meet is now 3 weeks away. I wanted to know if the people who weren't sure if they were going to make it or not sure how many they were bringing have a better idea now. And it's not too late to sign up this weekend if you want to come.

I wanted to spend some time this weekend figuring out the food needed and if we are going to run out of cabin space or not. I'm also supposed to give the park a list of the names of the people staying in the cabins next week.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 29/08/2002 07:27

You want us to post here or update our info on the signup page?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 29/08/2002 12:20

Either way, it doesn't matter. I'll keep my eye on both.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 30/08/2002 08:03

Meatballman, Russmiester, and myself will be there on Friday and Saturday...we'll be leaving at some point after dinner.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 01/09/2002 12:49

I did book my flight earlier, I get in around 5ish on Friday, and leave mid afternoon Sunday.
Posted by: RobRoy

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 01/09/2002 18:36

I plan to arrive at the lodge by no later than 6PM friday night, for whatever plans everyone else has.

I have a reservation at the lodge, but I do believe I am going to cancel it in favor of less expensive lodging in Oxford.

I can't wait to meet everyone there!

Rob

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 02/09/2002 17:37

Ralyon, Chip and silamanajik, do you guys know if you are coming yet for sure and how many you will be bringing? I know about all of the others but you 3.
Posted by: CHiP

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 02/09/2002 18:57

It looks like i'm not going to make it there. Put me down for a "nope" this time.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 02/09/2002 19:01

Sorry to hear that. Maybe next year you will make it.
Posted by: BleachLPB

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 03/09/2002 05:32

Laura,

I still plan to make it. I should be there hopefully around noon on Saturday, and leave sometime Sunday.

As far as I understand, I still have one friend who will be driving too.

I think earlier I was the one that talked about getting a campsite - didn't you mention something about the camp sites being better to meet at - but still getting a cabin? I was thinking of bringing a tent to sleep in. I think it was in a PM or something.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 03/09/2002 05:58

We have 4 cabins plus I plan on getting 2 campsites. One will be for you and the other for the dinner Saturday night and they'll be side by side. We'll still be meeting at the Lodge at noon on Saturday and should be there for a few hours. Just come to the Lodge and find us and I'll give you the campsite reservation then.
Posted by: Alan

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 03/09/2002 19:10

If the weather holds out I might be persuaded to take people water sking Friday/Saturday evening or Sunday morning. (at Brookville Lake approx 15 miles away, only sail boats are allowed at Hueston Woods )

Alan

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 03/09/2002 19:22

That would be really nice of you. Saturday late afternoon or evening would be when the most people will be there. There are places at Brookville where we could cook the dinner instead of having it at Hueston Woods.

No big deal to change plans at the last moment to include this at any of those times depending on the weather. Hopefully everyone will want to do this. We can even chip in some money for gas

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 03/09/2002 19:32

I also wanted to ask for some volunteers to help do the cooking for the dinner. I am pretty rusty on grilling out and can't guarantee the outcome. And would someone also like to be in charge of taking the pictures? I don't have a digital camera and don't want to lug my cam corder if I don't have to.
Posted by: MMorrow

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 03/09/2002 23:13

The water skiing at Brookville sounds fun. Its probably been 10 years since I've been, but weather permitting I'd love to give it a go. I'll dust off my vest and ski and bring them along in hopes that it works out and I'd be happy to pay toward fuel.

I'll bring my digital camera too, and contribute any decent pictures that I might shoot. Hopefully others will also bring cameras, so you don't have to rely to heavily on my photographic skills.

...Mark

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 04/09/2002 06:09

We have 4 cabins plus I plan on getting 2 campsites

Laura - that sounds good to me!

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 04/09/2002 06:14

I also wanted to ask for some volunteers

I can volunteer to grill some hamburgers and hot dogs (I guess thats what you were planning right?). I also have a digital camera that I plan to bring.

Water skiing sounds fun too - but how long were we planning on meeting around our empegs Saturday afternoon? Maybe water skiing would be a good Sunday thing, or once people are there Saturday and if theres time. I haven't been water skiing in ages!
Posted by: robricc

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 04/09/2002 06:39

I will be taking pictures for myself. Of course, they will also make their way to the RioCar.org gallery. If I can dial-up, I will be uploading pictures daily.

I cannot cook.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 04/09/2002 08:39

I'm also planning to bring a digital camera. Hopefully, between the lot of us, we can get some decent pics. Also, I'd be happy to help with dinner in any way I can.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 04/09/2002 13:41

Good, I got some volunteers to cook. That way if the dinner tastes like crap we can blame it on someone else

I think we won't be at the Lodge more than a few hours on Saturday, maybe 4 at the most to have lunch and the competitions, so if the weather is good we can pack up dinner and head off to Brookville for the rest of the day and evening for some fun on the water. I know that at the beach area there are grills and tables and a dock for boats to tie up at. Plus it's very pretty there.

Alan, would you be able to provide directions from Hueston to Brookville? I'm not sure of the fastest easiest way.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 06/09/2002 08:22

You know what would be cool is if someone had an Empeg-equipped boat to bring to the lake. That would be a first for a meet.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 06/09/2002 14:45

Ahhh. Where's thinfourth when you need him?

His empeg-equipped boat would probably displace the whole lake.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 06/09/2002 17:35

Well we will have a boat at the lake. You'll have to ask Alan if it is empeg-equipped or not, I don't know. Maybe if someone has a power converter they could bring it so we could have music where ever we go.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 10/09/2002 08:16

I had thought that I was going to be given the cabin #'s in advance but it doesn't look like I will know them until I get to the park on Friday.

Since people will be rolling in at different times Friday evening, just go to the lodge and they will tell you the cabin #'s and location. I'll be at the cabins and have food available for those that want dinner that night. I'll be there around noon so come as early as you want, but if you come early I may put you to work

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 14/09/2002 07:33

A couple of people have canceled so there is room in the cabins if anyone else would like to sign up and come.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 15/09/2002 11:56

What, if anything, are the cancellations doing to the financial situation of the meet?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 15/09/2002 12:39

The one person that canceled offered to pay if I need him to. I won't make people pay more than what was agreed upon at the start, I just may be paying a lump of it.

Next year I'll figure out a better way of doing this

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 15/09/2002 18:17

I've got a few extra players that I'll sell at the meet if anyone coming wants one. A MK1 10gig blue with two new docking sleds $500 and a RioCar 20gig blue never installed $500, cash and carry

Also if anyone wants to come and camp that hasn't already made plans, I've got room for 3 or 4 tents in a private campground. There are several motels and bars at the town of Oxford (6 miles from the meet).

So far the weather forcast looks good, if you haven't made plans to attend it's not too late.

AL

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 16/09/2002 09:21

Alan,

I might just have to take you up on that offer - I was planning on camping in a tent so this would work out for me.

And these bars you speak of...

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 16/09/2002 09:24

Oh, and I forget if this was provided/posted already, but are you going to post local directions? I found the lake that Hueston state park is by, but once I get there I need to know where we are meeting there. Since I won't know what anyone looks like, is there going to be a sign designating our meeting place?

I wonder how many red bulls this driving tour is going to require...

Re: Cincinnati Meet - alt. activities - 16/09/2002 11:30

Once you get into the park just follow the signs to the lodge, it is well marked. Make sure you park in the very upper lot which they are letting us use. If we aren't outside just go in the lodge and tell then you are with the empeg group and they will show you where we are sitting in the dining room. There will be more than one table.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 16/09/2002 13:21

Prize List

1.Grand door prize – empeg tuner to be given away by Rob(only those without a tuner can sign up for the drawing)
2.Trivia contest – winner will receive an original blue empeg bag

3.Best Sound – smoke or clear lens (donated by Darkstorm)
4.Best Professional Install – empeg fleece and power supply (the little block one)

5.Best Amateur Install – empeg fleece and power supply
6.Distance Award – empeg fleece and power supply and original blue lens

7.EQ Competition – empeg fleece and power supply

8.Oldest Vehicle (with install) – empeg fleece

9.Newest Vehicle (with install) – empeg fleece

There will be enough stickers and cd wrapper cutters for everyone to have. The left over fleeces and blue lenses we will have a drawing for.

I am working on the menu and will post that when I am done.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 14:32

Menu

Friday dinner – I will be making pizzas for whoever wants dinner. I will also be baking brownies for dessert.

Saturday breakfast – Tim Horton’s donuts. I am told these are the best and I know of a place outside of Dayton, Ohio where I can buy them.

Saturday lunch – we will be eating at the lodge. The prices aren’t too bad but higher than a fast food place.

Saturday dinner – to be cooked out at Brookville Lake. There will be hamburgers (a special recipe I was taught), Johnsonville Brats, baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw,
macaroni salad, potato chips with s’mores for dessert.

Sunday breakfast – I will cook eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon and toast.

Sunday lunch – sandwiches including turkey, ham and roast beef with a couple of different cheeses. Everyone can help themselves.

Sunday dinner – for those still left we can go off and find us a Skyline Chili and you can taste what Cincinnati is famous for.

I will have coffee, tea and juice available but bring your own drinks. Too hard to guess what people want.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 15:03

I will be making pizzas for whoever wants dinner. I will also be baking brownies for dessert.

Count me in for pizza. Count me in for brownies.

[Homer Simpson]
Mmmmmmmm..... Brownies.
[/Homer Simpson]

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 15:33

Then you'll for sure like these. I'm not bad in the kitchen when I have to be.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 15:46

In what situations are you required to be bad in the kitchen?

Sorry.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 15:51

I'm keeping my mouth shut on that one.

I'm not a coffee drinker so is there a brand that people would like to have avaliable? Someone else can make the coffee so it's drinkable. I can boil water for tea.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 15:53

I drink coffee everyday, but I am not a coffee snob. For example....

Today I drank 2 cups of freeze dried Maxwell House that has been in my fridge for 2 years. For me, any coffee with caffene will do.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 16:16

I'm sure the Reverend will bring some Starbucks or something....his daily coffee intake is rather prodigious.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 18:34

I'm not a coffee drinker so is there a brand that people would like to have avaliable?

Caffeine flavored....

Coffee flavored coffee (sorry, I could not resist that one).

Actually, I'm not really a regular coffee drinker so I'll be happy with whatever there is
Posted by: Rezolution

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 18:47

How far are people driving for this??? I was gonna go to the Boston meet but it was 8 hours away. This meet is 9 and a half hours away!!!

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 16/09/2002 19:11

I thought people were picky about their coffee, but it doesn't seem that way or maybe only serious drinkers are. I mean there are so many flavors and blends to choose from. I love the smell of fresh ground or brewed coffee but never cared much for the taste.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 17/09/2002 06:04

This meet is 9 and a half hours away!!!

Don't worry - you're not alone. I'm pissed I missed Boston - and like you, Boston is closer to me (about 7 hours). Plus, the only exposure I've ever had to Ohio is Cleveland, so I figure I'd broaden my horizon.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 17/09/2002 06:15

There are of course a thousand or so blends of choice, but when you mix grinds, brewing styles, and flavorings the result is mind boggling. As robric, I am not a coffee snob, other than the fact that I will take any coffee over basically anything else. Given my druthers I'd take Starbucks, but I'm open to expanding my horizons. Unless someone else is interested, I'll be glad to take over the coffee vending.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 17/09/2002 12:36

Consider the coffee your job You can bring it and brew it and make everyone happy, including me and thanks.

I think the meet here will be bigger and better than the one in Boston, though I didn't go so I have no way of judging.
Posted by: ineedcolor

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 17/09/2002 12:48

Sure wish I could bring a Tim Horton's kiosk with me, their coffee would blow you all away I'm sure....

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 17/09/2002 12:50

Would they sell the grounds at a store do you think? I am picking up donuts from there and could pick up a bag of coffee if they have it.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 13:18

1.Grand door prize – empeg tuner to be given away by Rob(only those without a tuner can sign up for the drawing)

Dumb question. I have a friend (who may come with me) who owns a tuner. It's installed in one of my vehicles for now, but it's not my tuner. Clearly with one tuner module we can't both be "with tuner", but which of us is eligible to enter?

(He wasn't using it, so he loaned it to me with the understanding that I would buy a kit to replace it when those happened)

Re: Cincinnati Meet - menu - 17/09/2002 13:25

though I didn't go so I have no way of judging

I was there. It would be unfair to compare the two meets. From what I can tell so far, they will be totally different.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 13:30

Are you coming? If so please fill out the form on riocar.org so I know when you are coming. I'll be buying the food Thursday and need an idea of how many are going to be there so you don't starve to death

I will let Rob make the decision on that but I would assume since it is not your tuner (only borrowed) you would be able to be in the drawing. But don't hold me to that.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 13:31

Yeah, you can enter for the tuner. I wanted that rule because tuners were selling for $400 on ebay at the time. My thinking was, I'm giving away a tuner, not $400.

The ebay situation is different now, but I think the rule is still a good one.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 13:39

And it's still a great prize to win even if the retail value has dropped. I would hope the winner wouldn't sell it

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 13:50

Are you coming?

That involves knowing if I'm coming

My life still sucks hard enough that it's a coin toss, albeit a weighted coin.

I am capable of foraging if I fail to know what I'm doing in time.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 13:54

I'm certainly not going to argue. The intent is of course between the 3 cars owned by my friend and with with empegs installed, to end up with that many tuners. I don't buy toys as speculation. No point, I'd usually lose money.

Which reminds me, I should sell my SparcBook 3GS before it loses all its value. I just don't have time for Linux kernel development anymore.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 13:58

My life still sucks hard enough that it's a coin toss, albeit a weighted coin.

Your life can't suck much worse than mine and I'm coming. Course I am in charge of the whole thing so I have to. Hey you never know, you might actually have some fun if you do.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 14:00

Your life can't suck much worse than mine and I'm coming. Course I am in charge of the whole thing so I have to. Hey you never know, you might actually have some fun if you do.

There's little doubt in my mind that coming is good. It's just a question of can I spare the time to do it... Too many things are all happening at the same time, and I'm trying to keep up.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 17/09/2002 14:03

I hope you can find the time and make it then.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 18/09/2002 13:57

Tomorrow (Thursday) is when I am doing the food shopping. Any special requests or anyone else want to join us this weekend?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 18/09/2002 16:17

Dumb question. The riocar.org web page says "exact location in the park to be announced". Has it not been or is my search fu just horrid?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 18/09/2002 16:32

Guess that wasn't updated. If you look under announcements, there is a link that directs you to more details (some of those have changed). If you or anyone has any questions, ask away while you can. I will be leaving here Friday morning and will be without a computer the rest of the weekend.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 18/09/2002 16:50

If you look under announcements

So much search fu is bad

Ok. Thanks.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 18/09/2002 18:31

I'm thinking of breaking down the meal costs as a certain sum for dinner and a certain sum for all other meals combined. Is there any objections to this? Or would everyone rather have a break down per each meal cost? I won't know the exact amount until you arrive since I am buying some of the food on the way there.

Might be 1 or 2 before I get there Friday since I am going to Springfield (which is north east of Dayton and in the opposite direction of Hueston for me) for the Tim Horton donuts and coffee. I'll make sure I have the brownies done before people get there

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 18/09/2002 19:54

We (wife, myself & son) are planning to participate/contribute toward all meals. However, others that are arriving late or leaving early may want to see it broken out. Do you have a rough head count for the various meals, so you know how much to purchase? I'm looking forward to trying those Horton donuts that you keeping speaking of...

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 18/09/2002 20:02

The weather forecast looks excellent for the weekend

Saturday & Sunday are showing highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 50s with NO RAIN. Hopefully the Scattered T-Storm predicted for Friday will pass through early (if at all).

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/local/USOH0206

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 18/09/2002 20:19

I have a rough count for each meal and I will try not to over buy but I'm used to shopping for one, not 16-30 so there might be left overs. I was trying to find an easier way to break it down than to spend hours on a calculator but I might have to. I haven't tried those donuts yet either but have heard they are fantastic. I prefer Cheeze-Its for breakfast myself but am looking forward to trying them.

We had a very good chance for rain here tonight, lasted about 3 minutes and was gone. There's a drought going on in this area and there won't be much fall colors this year, the leaves are dying and dropping already. So hopefully we will be blessed with nice dry weather, it can rain like h*ll Monday

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 18/09/2002 20:30

Since you can stay with Alan free and we're going to do the cookout at Brookville Lake, I won't bother getting the 2 campsites. If that is ok with you.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 06:58

Just my luck. My Empeg goes belly-up a few days before the meet and swapping the hard drive and the cable don't help. I'm going to have to send it off for service. I'm still coming on up though.
Posted by: dcosta

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 07:49

OK OK,
so my interest is piqued a little late.
I'd coming from Boston and by myself.
I am wondering if there might be a slot open in a cabin for me and if anyone from Boston / New York might want to carpool there...?
By Car, how many hours is Boston From Cincinati?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 07:50

Since you can stay with Alan free and we're going to do the cookout at Brookville Lake, I won't bother getting the 2 campsites. If that is ok with you.

That works for me - I've already arranged with him about that.

So, at some point in the afternoon we'll be leaving Hueston and going over to Brookville? I just need to know - I plan to arrive around 11-12ish in the day Saturday.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 07:56

By Car, how many hours is Boston From Cincinati?

Ooo - according to Delorme - it is approximately 850 miles - you are probably looking at a good 13- maybe 14 hour drive depending how fast you go. The scenery driving through PA (mountains, etc) is pretty nice.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 08:17

Yes there is plenty of room. Rob is driving from New York but I wouldn't know how close you would be to him.

Come and have some fun.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 08:22

Since it is getting darker earlier, like around 8 here, maybe meeting at 11ish at the lodge in Hueston would be a good idea. That way we can take off for Brookville sooner. It is about a 1/2 hour away so the sooner we get there the sooner we can go on boat rides.

I have copies of maps from Hueston to Brookville and I ran a bunch of copies of the trivia questions.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 08:34

Yes there is plenty of room. Rob is driving from New York but I wouldn't know how close you would be to him.

Yeah coming up/down/over from Boston, you would probably win the Driving distance competition.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 08:37

And for that prize you would win a empeg fleece, power supply and an original blue lens
Posted by: dcosta

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 08:58

What about mlord coming from Canada ?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 09:20

He said at first he was coming but that was a long time ago, he never signed the sheet so I don't think that he will. Gee, aren't the rest of us good enough
Posted by: mlord

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 10:08

Arghh... a dagger through the heart!

Sniff..

Well, actually, funny y'all should ask. I've been scratching my top and bottom over how to get to/from the meet in an economical fashion for a few weeks now, and it just ain't gonna happen for me.

Driving distance is about 13 hours, if I could stay awake that long at the wheel.

I can fly there and back with a "last minute deal" for airfare & rental car for about C$375 or so, but only from Toronto rather than Ottawa (where I live). Getting to/from Toronto by air is an extra C$600, or 4.5 hours driving each way.. tempting, that option.

But to cap it all off, I've just been striken with a horrible sinus virus, and it will need the usual 10-14 days or so to run it's course. Until then, I'm a snivelling snuffing contageous mess.

Anyone wanna share my cold?

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 10:30

Well, ineedcolor is coming from Windsor if that gives you any last minute ideas. I would love to have you come even with a cold as long as you don't sneeze on me. You could even have your own room (as most would want to stay far away from you)

*waves to Mark*

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 10:34

<grouchy>bah! my empeg's busted and all you can do is complain about a lousy head cold</grouchy>

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 10:41

Oh you poor babies, the both of you. The fun you'll have at the meet is what you both need to cheer up.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 10:56

I would even cook you some chicken noddle soup if you come I'm sure that would make the trip worth it.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:25

I want to thank the empeg guys, Rob and Darkstorm for the prize donations, I want to thank those that have offered to help with the grilling, coffee making and picture taking, I want to thank Alan for the offer of boat rides and the use of his campsite, I want to thank Rob for picking Drakino up at the airport and I want to thank everyone else for just coming.

I've been in and out doing the shopping today and still have the hamburgers to make and freeze tonight. I'll be glad when it's tomorrow and I can relax and have fun with everyone

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:33

What's the plan for Monday? I'm still thinking about a last minute journey, and need an idea of what's happening so I can consider the return flight/drive times.

Thanks

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:45

Well since I was the only one that wanted to go rock climbing, Mark Cushman gave up on it and isn't coming now (something about taking his wife out for their anniversary to someplace she wants to go, likely excuse). I am still on vacation Monday if you want to stick around and find something to do outdoors like hiking or biking or climbing.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:45

Your welcome!

I would like to thank you for doing all the leg work!

OK, This may be my last post before heading out tomorrow morning. Lately, I've been having trouble keeping the Viggen under 90 MPH. So, I may be there sooner than necessary to pick up Tom at the airport. Since I have about 70 bottles of beer, I may stop by for a few minutes to drop off the cooler so you guys have something to do.

Once I pick up Tom, I figure we will be there around 8PM or so.

Dave Costa. I will drive you if you really want me to. Laura and Tom (Drakino) have my cell number. If I am not online, get it from them and give me a call if you want a ride. I am planning on leaving NY in the 8:00AM hour. It took me 3½ hours to get to the Boston meet, so you may have to leave very early.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:46

And... are we climbing Sunday (and/or Monday?) -- Gotta know what goodies to pack..

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:48

Can't wait to see that car and go for a spin. I was just picking up someone at the airport the other night, a word of caution, you are not allowed to park in the pickup zone now unless they are waiting for you. I got to make 8 trips around waiting for the people, but who cares when you have some nice music and a nice ride to drive. So don't get there too early.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:50

Mm.. okay. No climbing (too much gear for the plane ride if just us for an afternoon or whatever). Some local exploration sounds good for Monday. I suppose I'd better pack a sleeping bag or something.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:53

Going for boat rides on Saturday I have no idea where to go climbing but if you do I am game for Monday or you could just bring a bike. Dayton has miles and miles of paved trails or their are some mountain bike trails nearby that I wouldn't mind checking out. Or bring your hiking boots.

We'll find something to do Sunday. Anyone like to ride horses?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 13:55

Oh cool, that makes it sound like you are coming!!! I have 2 bikes if you are up for that. I'm bringing a tent and sleeping bag in case it's needed.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 14:27

Still thinking about it, but leaning towards it. I'm heading out the door to the climbing shop to look for a RedRiverGorge guidebook.. back in an hour or two -- will definitely go if I can get the book tonight.

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 15:07

[happy] I hope you make it. Let me know if you need a ride from the airport. [/happy]

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 15:07

Okay, I'm in!

My flight arrives in Cincinnati at about 18:12 (6:12pm). I'll retrieve my luggage, pick up the rental car, and drive on up to the cabins.

Can you leave a note as to where you'll all be if you head out for dinner before I get there?

And how exactly DO I find y'all, anyway?

The sinus cold is still here, in full swing, but such is life. I'm bringing The camera, sleeping bag, tiny tent, and basic climbing gear, if it all fits.

No soldering iron, though -- no point unless we have some resistor packs available.

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 15:13

Just go to the lodge and they will tell you the cabin #'s that we have. I'll be baking pizza's and brownies for us all. You'll arrive about the time that Rob and Drakino will be getting there also. Find the cabin with all of the loud music and there we'll be. If you have a cell phone you can PM me the # and I'll give you mine.

I'm very glad you're coming

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 15:18

Okay, cool. Presumably there's some cabin floorspace for me (or even a bed?), somewhere so my unrestful "sleeping" won't keep everyone up too late.

If the weather is nice Sunday / Monday, I suggest those who are curious may want to head down to Red River Gorge for a tiny amount of climbing, and a Sunday evening tent-out. Mapquest.com lists it as a 2.5hour drive from Cincinnati.

My return flight leaves Cincinnati at around 8pm Monday, so there's time to do a certain amount of hiking/climbing on that day prior to the drive back.

I wonder if there's someplace we can drop a car so as to car-puddle down into Kentucky?

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 15:24

My drive way would work. It fits one whole car in it.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 16:59

I cant wait and I'm glad to see that you're making the trip Mark - and everyone else too. Try some Echinacea tea, sometimes that helps...

I wish I could leave tomorrow!! And I wish I could stick around Monday for some climbing and/or hiking!!! Stupid job. I'll be leaving my homestead around 2am and expecting to arrive at Hueston hopefully by 11. I never stop except for gas up.

I'll see if I can pull a few strings - oh I might just leave after work tomorrow around 4 pm but then I wouldn't arrive until 1am or so. Hmmm... thinking...

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 17:07

It fits one whole car in it.

And if we turn them on their sides and put them wheel to wheel?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 17:23

Then the local police stop by to say it's illegal. The jerks made me move my Nova one morning at 4am because it was parked sideways behind my van but off of the street totally. They even waited while I moved it.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 17:24

If you don't get there till 1am that is fine. We'll still be up!

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 17:27

[crying] Back to making 50 hamburgers.[/crying]
I'm cutting onions.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 19:12

Looking like it's going to cost about $8.00 a person for dinner and $5.00 and less per meal for the other meals. I'll know more after I get the rest of the food tomorrow and when we have an exact head count for each meal but that gives you a rough idea on the costs. I'll have all the receipts with me for examination if people have questions. But so far it has cost $331.03 with roughly $100 more tomorrow.

It took 2 grocery carts to get it to my van

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 19:21

Sounds very affordable, and I personally won't need to look at any receipts.

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update 1 - 19/09/2002 19:23

Cellular phone coverage at Hueston Woods is marginal at best. If anyone gets lost or needs directions enroute you can call me at [censored - Drakino 9/23/02].

Alan

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 20:03

My flight arrives in Cincinnati at about 18:12

Mine is supposed to be in at 17:52, so we should be there about the same time. I am meeting up with Rob at the Delta baggage claim. If you want to meet up so we can all drive to the meet togther, let me know. I'll drop my contact details off in a private message.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 20:13

That would save you a car rental Mark, I could probably get you to the airport Monday evening for your return flight.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 20:44

Looking like it's going to cost about $8.00 a person for dinner and $5.00 and less per meal for the other meals.

Wow. Noise. If only I could get my employers to send me to this I'd make a killing on per diem.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 21:01

No no no, not sideways, on their sides.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 19/09/2002 21:17

I'm sure they would still find a reason to ticket you here. One of them small towns you know, can't spit on the sidewalk and that type of place. But at least I don't have to worry about my vehicles or house getting broken in to. The neighbors on one side are both cops

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 20/09/2002 06:43

There is a very good chance for rain and storms tonight and early Saturday morning but after that the weather should be good. Shouldn't interfer with the competitions and the boat rides or cook out.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 20/09/2002 07:23

I gave Alan my cell number if anyone needs to get a hold of me if you can. I'll be leaving soon so I'll see everyone there.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 20/09/2002 07:23

When are the competitions/drawings? Saturday afternoon I assume?

I cant wait, this meet should be pretty cool. I'm already drooling for some hamburgers.

Oh, and I just got my digital out board from Eutronix (actually it got here Wed. and has been sitting in our mailroom). This thing looks sweet, I can't wait to install it but that will have to wait until after the weekend.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 20/09/2002 07:52

They'll be after lunch on Saturday. I'm heading out the door, I have to go buy a cooler because everything doesn't fit into one. Crap!

Safe trip everyone.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 20/09/2002 21:36

I took a few pics already. Check em' out:
http://spmicro.com/gallery/empegmeet_092002

They will be on riocar too soon.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 20/09/2002 21:41

Okay, the boom box is sweet.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 22/09/2002 15:15

It was a great time, one of the best times I have ever had. Thank you to those who came and your support in helping get it together and helping pay for it. It ended up being more costly than want I had tried to have it be and next year I will do it differently so that doesn't happen again. But I think everyone had a great time.

*waves to Mark Lord*
Posted by: rob

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 22/09/2002 15:50

*waves to Mark Lord*

People will talk

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 22/09/2002 16:23

They're supposed to Rob.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 07:02

Thanks again Laura for the great time. It was well worth the extra money. I am working on uploading my photos. I took over 100, and uploading that many at a time seems to be breaking riocar.org.

Now, about Mark and Laura.... Well, I guess you just had to be there.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 07:16

Nothing really happened, I swear. We were enjoying the conspiracy in making Tony think there was though

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 07:41

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures that everyone took so hurry up and get them uploaded.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 08:42

OK, my pics are all up and captionized. Click here to view them. I still have some movies to put up, but I want to convert them to MPEG first.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 08:51

I'll have to go back and read the comments, I just looked at the pics when you first put them up. Very nice ones.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 08:55

I'm still picking through my pics. I put up a few but I'm going to go through the rest - they should be up before the end of the day.

Rob - did you drive through some massive rain storm yesterday? I must have hydroplaned down some mountain in PA for like 60 miles. I was pissed when I had to slow down to 70 mph when I couldn't see the road, or the trucker in front of me. Stupid rain.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 09:03

Ok, so I have to admit I locked my keys in the van which made us late for the boat rides and getting us lost made us even later Alan was a good sport waiting for us all to finally arrive.

We ended up not having time to judge the best sounding install but all other installs got judged. And to top it off I have to go back out to the lodge today because I left my cell phone charger. My head must have been somewhere this weekend besides where it should have been

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 09:03

Yes, TONS of rain. I slowed down to about 70 as well. I still got home in great time though.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 09:53

Rob, don't forget to go flying someday soon.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 10:06

We were enjoying the conspiracy in making Tony think there was though

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 10:08

Too cool! A Ney York state EMPEG license plate!

Whose is that?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 10:26

Sorry Tony, it was too hard to resist, what I had Tom tell you was the truth though. I did get a hug from Mark when he left

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 10:28

Yes, TONS of rain. I slowed down to about 70 as well

Were cops pulling people over on westbound 70 just to the west of Wheeling when you drove by? When I drove by, there was a plane circling the highway, and there were cops that had like 4 cars and an 18 wheeler pulled over busted for speeding. Thats a shame.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 10:46

The NY Empeg plate was on Rob's Viggen

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 10:59

We caught a nasty storm coming over the mountains on I-40 complete with lots of rain, fog and very curvy roads with no streetlights. Lots of fun. Especially after midnight

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:01

Yep, that's me. I got those plates about a month before the meet. I didn't tell anyone because I wanted to first show them at the meet.
Posted by: andym

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:01

Who won the tuner then?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:02

No, I only passed one cop in PA and it looked like he was sleeping. If he were awake he would certainly have pulled me over.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:02

Hope you made it back in time for Sunday morning! We missed having your boombox after you left, we had no music on the beach and that was sad.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:03

Meatballman won it and plans to put it in the boombox I think.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:04

Who won the tuner then?

Meatballman won the tuner. I couldn't take a picture because I was pulling the name out of the hat. Mark Lord took some pics of that. I guess he will be going home tonight or tomorrow.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:05

Mark's plane leaves Cincinnati tonight around 8pm I believe. Hopefully he'll put his pictures up soon, with the lens he had on it they must be pretty darn good.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:06

I passed a cop coming into some small town in Ohio. If he could have seen further he would have seen me going 90, but luckily I was slowing down as I entered the town. The speed limit dropped to 45 there, and I was going 50 as I went by. He didn't bother me...

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:08

BleachLPB has a picture of Meatballman holding his tuner. The people entering for it turned out to have a 1/7 chance of winning. Some of us already had them and weren't allowed to put our names in the hat.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:13

Yeah...if you check BleachLPB's album there's a pic of me holding the tuner and grinning like an idiot . Not sure where it's going yet. Have to decide between the car, the boombox, and the home docking station.

EDIT: Laura beat me to it....

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:16

I must have hydroplaned down some mountain in PA for like 60 miles. I was pissed when I had to slow down to 70 mph when I couldn't see the road, or the trucker in front of me.

Did you go back 79 again, or the turnpike? I once drove 79 from Morgantown to Washington (PA) in bad snow, it was no fun. (Not to mention the sliding I had to do to get to 79...)

I got to Washington and it hadn't even rained.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:22

Yep, it was a blast, well worth the flight out there.

I'd like to thank Laura again for all the work she put into this. Though I don't know what she is going to do with 6 bags of marshmellows :-)

I'd also like to thank Rob for picking me up at the airport, and Laura for dropping me off. That saved me on a car rental, and getting lost.

I'd also like to thank Mark Lord for the sore legs from the activities on Saturday :-P

Thanks to Laura and Marks wife (the other Mark) for helping to cook breakfast Sunday morning.

And lastly, thanks to everyone who came out. It was a small meet, but was a blast to attend.

I'll post my few photos here soon, I let everyone else do the photo taking for me.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:25

6 bags of marshmellows? I think it's more like 12 left. I'll just have to toast them on my gas grill and it's s good thing hot cocoa weather is coming soon!

Anyone want a bag of marshmellows?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:34

OK, I just posted the 3 videos I took. One is of the boat ride, another is of Mark Lord lighting the grill, and the last one I took while driving in the rain.

What was the name of the lake so I can fix some of the captions?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:40

another is of Mark Lord lighting the grill

Couldn't possibly be as exciting as these grill-lighting images?

Although if you had Patrick at a meet, I wouldn't put this past him.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:49

Brookville Lake in Indiana.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 11:57

Movies wouldn't work for me

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 12:07

Hmmm. Well, I converted them from MOV to AVI and then to MPG. I am able to view them in Windows Media Player 8. I will try to see what the problem is.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 12:08

What was the name of the lake so I can fix some of the captions?

The one by the cabins was Acton. The one in Indiana was Brookville.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 12:13

I especially like how they vaporized that cheap grill. Makes our fire look so lame and usual. A very clean and effective way to get rid of evidence.

We just need to get Patrick to make a trip across the pond next year then.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 12:26

I rebooted my computer and got them to play. Zonealarm was causing problems again. I enjoyed them.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 12:33

The group photo looks cool, any chance of some names? I recognise Rob but not anyone else...

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 12:42

Front row (left to right): Mark Lord, Dustin Morrow, Mrs. Morrow

Middle Row: Mike (BleachLPB), Tom (Drakino), Laura, Rob Riccardelli (me), Alan

Back row: Mark Morrow, Rev. Mike, John (Meatballman), Derrick (dbrashear), Joe

Sorry if I forgot what first name went with who. There were a lot of Marks and Mikes.
Posted by: cushman

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 12:54

In reply to:

Well since I was the only one that wanted to go rock climbing, Mark Cushman gave up on it and isn't coming now (something about taking his wife out for their anniversary to someplace she wants to go, likely excuse).

Yeah, yeah ok ;-)

I had originally planned to come to the meet before noticing that it was on the weekend of our anniversary. I'm glad you guys all had a good time, wish I could have been able to come.

Monika and I ended up having a GREAT weekend together backpacking at the Red River Gorge. It was nice and secluded and we got to spend some quality time together.

Laura and Mark, did you guys make it out to the Red on Monday?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 13:57

Oh, and thanks to the person at empeg responsible for the box of goodies, and Rob R. for his tuner.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 14:42

Rob got all the names right in the group photo except mine...John. But, since we were only there a few hours, that's forgivable

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 14:54

Mark left for Red River Gorge yesterday and should be back at CVG airport by now. I had too much to get done to leave when he did. [Excuses, Excuses] Truthfully I kind of chickened out on the rock climbing.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 17:29

Did Mark's photo album scare you? How about that one picture he had to hold up to see the correct orientation of the cliff?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 17:40

You could say that it certainly didn't help me want to go

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 18:09

After seeing Mark's climbing photos I'm convinced that I would have been left behind in the dust (or falling rocks at the base).

My family had a wonderful time at the meet, and the attendees now feel like my extended empeg family. Dustin and Eileen are already looking forward to next years meet. Thanks again to Laura for putting this together, for without her efforts it would not have been a success.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 18:17

Sorry about screwing up your name. Especially since I once sent something to you and pulled your name out of a hat. I feel dumb.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 18:48

I took the dumb prize at the meet so that should make you feel better Rob.

At least they finally found my charger and it was a beautiful day for a drive today
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 21:55

Is that a flashlight on Mark Lord's head?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 23/09/2002 22:22

Probably. I had it on my head while I was grilling later, too.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 24/09/2002 04:19

I believe that he uses it when rock climbing since he had all of his climbing gear with him. I hope he had a good time at the gorge.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 24/09/2002 04:37

Thanks to everyone that has put up their pictures so far. You guys did a great job of it and I'm glad so many got involved doing it. That way no part of the meet got missed.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 24/09/2002 12:48

Laura - Thanks again for planning the meet - I had a lot of fun meeting fellow empeggers and it was definitely worth the trip. Can't wait until next year/meet!

I'd also like to thank the Empeg guys for sending out some cool giveaways, and to Rob for donating a tuner - even though I didn't win it. In a day and age where people would rather make a quick buck, its nice to see someone donate something like that to the community.

Mark - next time I'll plan to take off a day or two to do some climbing somewhere. Maybe we can get some others to climb or simply come along too.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 24/09/2002 14:10

In reply to:

In a day and age where people would rather make a quick buck, its nice to see someone donate something like that to the community.

That pretty much sums up my opinion of the people on this board. With rare exception I've always found the members helpful, knowledgeable and definitley approachable. Maybe it's a side effect of have such an (originally) expensive product. Not every troll knows of the boards existence thereby letting us do our empeg worshipping in peace.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 18:34

But to cap it all off, I've just been striken with a horrible sinus virus, and it will need the usual 10-14 days or so to run it's course. Until then, I'm a snivelling snuffing contageous mess.

Oh, one last thank you I forgot, thanks for the virus Mark .

Still not sure what I got, but I started sneezing when I left. Also got a runny nose that has been bugging me all day today. Oh well, it was still a blast and well worth the trip.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 18:54

I wonder what happened to Mark? I hope he got back ok from rock climbing. Sorry you're sick now Drakino but I'm probably next since you were sneezing in my van on the way to the airport and Mark and I shared a cabin

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 19:14

Hey, we shared more than just a cabin.. (for Tony).

Yup, I'm back (briefly as usual, until the snow flies).

Red River Gorge was nice, and the meet was great (thanks for everything, Laura..).

For a limited time only, I'm opening up my ADSL to you folks:

http://rtr.ca/empeg_meet/
http://rtr.ca/empeg_red_river/

(WARNING: contains never-before seen footage of Laura & Mark).

I'll shut it down randomly when the traffic gets too much, but should be fine for the next few days at least.

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 19:18

Hey, you're still alive!

*waves and blows a kiss to Mark*

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 19:28

Yup, survived.

The only question now is, will I survive a certain greenish pallor?
(pardon my envy?)

??

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 19:31

Hey Tom, you even kept a respectable distance most of the weekend.. sure it's from me?

Oh.. we did share a vehicle during the geocache hunt.. darn!

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 19:34

Envy? Hmm, of what?

Seeing those pictures of Red River Gorge makes me wish I had gone even if I would have stayed below with the pup.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:15

Mark - those are some terrific pictures! The climbing pictures are awesome. I will definitely have to make it down to Red sometime.

See Laura - you should have gone! Then you could tell Tony how much of a wonderful time you and Mark had

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:22

Speaking of which, Laura, the extra tray of brownies vanished in a flash at Miguel's -- but everybody asked .. "are they hash brownies?".

Cheers (waves to Laura)

-ml

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:25

Crap, I knew I forgot something when I was baking them. I won't forget next year

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:28

Just letting you guys know that I'm not sick. I was in the same car with Mark, and I wasn't trying to keep away from him.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:30

and I wasn't trying to keep away from him.

Interesting

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:34

Oh no, I'm not playing that game.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:38

Good. Did you go flying yet? You've got to promise me you will one of these days.

I've done volunteer work for The Young Eagles which promotes flying for young kids and it's so neat to watch their faces after they go up. Ok so some of them look a little green but most really enjoy it.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:39

Now don't be too jealous, love, it was only a few minutes in the back seat, you know..

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:40

Oh.. could you check the group photo at http://rtr.ca/empeg_meet/index.cgi?z0055430+medium and let me know if I've finally got all the names right?

Thanks

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:45

LOL, now I'm green also.

You have Joe and Alan mixed up, Alan has the baseball hat on.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:51

Fixed, thanks!

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:51

My pleasure

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 20:57

I plan on going flying some day....
It is definitely on my list of stuff to do.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 23:27

Excellent photos Mark. I will be adding the group shots to my digital picture frame at work, in order to remember the wonderful weekend we all had. I'm looking forward to a repeat next year.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 25/09/2002 23:45

WARNING: contains never-before seen footage of Laura & Mark

Now I'm afraid to click on the link. I might get a TMI infection.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 00:16

I'm looking forward to a repeat next year.

Me too. By then my car should have an onboard access point and GPS receiver, and maybe some other toys.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 04:00

I'm thinking about staying at Whitewater Memorial Park next year. It's at the end of Brookville Lake that we didn't go to and the cabins there are only $80 compared to the $145 at Hueston. They may not be as fancy (they do have air conditioning Rob) and as well equipped as the others but they're much cheaper. I'll have to go and look over the place.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 04:06

I'm thinking about staying at Whitewater Memorial Park next year. It's at the end of Brookville Lake that we didn't go to

Wait, so you want me to go another state further? Geez

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 04:15

It might be easier to get to off of I-70 and if we get to go on boat rides next year maybe we won't get lost along the way since we'll already be on the right lake and in the same state

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 04:24

Getting off 70 was plenty easy. It was all the stuff after I got off 70 that was weird, though I have to admit in the daylight it was easier. Straight, flat and empty equals fast.

Also, *I* didn't get lost.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 04:25

Also, *I* didn't get lost.

Rub it in.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 06:07

We took the "Scenic, rural" route. Tsk tsk for you coming all that way and not taking the opportunity.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 06:40

>Is that a flashlight on Mark Lord's head?

That would be a Petzl Zipka headlamp. Awesome piece of gear that.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 06:44

Laura didn't get lost, she got hijacked
Posted by: genixia

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 07:32

I prefer the original Zoom myself - with a halogen bulb. But I guess that weight is more of a factor in your life
That reminds me - time to order a new headband for it. The elastic goes eventually.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 07:50

I thought I prefered my original (15 yrs old) Zoom as well, until I actually borrowed and tried a Zipka at night.. Brighter, bulbs never fail, 5X the battery life, and zero bulk -- it never gets left behind, and never switches on accidently.

The Zoom is history now.

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 08:33

Whenever someone mentioned brownies, I immediately started thinking of Empire Records. I ate one with no adverse effects though. Laura could have gotten in big trouble for contributing to the delinquency of a Reverend.
Posted by: tms13

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 08:35

Everything that Mark said. I've had a Zipka since going away at New Year with a friend who brought one; I never use my Zoom any more. I don't miss the focus and position adjustments at all, and of course the spare-bulb-holder isn't needed any more. I love the way I can happily carry it in my pocket (in fact, I have it there now - didn't realise until I arrived at work!).

BTW, while you guys were having fun in Ohio, I was up on Skye doing the Cuillin Ridge. Mmmmm.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Cincinnati Meet - Update - 26/09/2002 09:20

In reply to:

(in fact, I have it there now - didn't realise until I arrived at work!)

LOL....sounds like they're becoming eminently losable, something that can't be said for the bulky Zoom.

I assume that your brightness comparisons are against the standard Zoom bulb which is spec'd at 30m. The halogen is spec'd at 100m, which was very useful when I was a Scout Leader in the UK....Running a mixed (US: co-ed) troop requires some vigilence!
Posted by: Micman2b

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 03/10/2002 16:44

It sounds like you guys had a great time but...what was the tally of winners for the prizes?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 03/10/2002 16:49

I won the trivia contest. For that, I got a blue empeg bag.

Meatballman won self install. I fogot what the prize was. He also won the tuner.

I think eveyone that wanted one got a RioCar fleece, Rio CD opener, and empeg stickers. That's all I can remeber right now.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 03/10/2002 17:30

Winner List

1. Grand door prize of the tuner went to meatballman (Jonathan)
2. Trivia contest was won by robricc (Rob) who got a blue empeg bag
3. Best professional install was won by BleachLPB (Mike) who got an empeg fleece and power supply
4. Best amateur install went to revlmwest who got an empeg fleece and power supply
5. Distant award went to relvmwest who got an empeg fleece, power supply and a blue lens
6. Oldest vehicle (and great boat rides) went to Alan who won a Darkstorm lens of his choice and also got an empeg fleece.

Everyone got a cd wrapper opener and stickers and everyone but Joe got a fleece, he wasn't there long and I kind of forgot and feel bad now Sorry for not posting sooner but I didn't know others would be interested in knowing.

Thanks again to those that donated the prizes.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 04/10/2002 06:54

I was there, and I did not get a fleece..

*waves*

-ml

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 04/10/2002 11:48

Oh shite.

*hides her head in shame*

I have one I can mail to you, a large.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 04/10/2002 13:34

I already have a fleece, courtesy of the Empeg folks, thanks!

*teases Laura*

-ml

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 04/10/2002 13:46

That's right. You were wearing one.

*waves*

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 04/10/2002 21:25

I think there might be pictures of that. And you two were kind of close so you'd remember right?

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 05/10/2002 05:38

>You were wearing one.

Well, I had to wear something at the time..

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 05/10/2002 05:59

I guess you did since we were in some rather public places.

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 05/10/2002 06:03

>we were in some rather public places.

Yeah, no kidding!

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 05/10/2002 09:11

JEEZ you guys!!!!

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 05/10/2002 09:44

Look.. Tony's all red!

Re: Cincinnati Meet - prize list - 05/10/2002 10:11