Search without a remote?

Posted by: jets

Search without a remote? - 02/10/2002 21:09

okay, i read alot of the faq and i'm stumped. hijack can allow you to have the 'search' command in the PopUp# menus. what i don't understand is wtf to press after the search by pin# appears. i pretty much tried all the buttons and they do nothing...so it gets me nowhere.

i know that i could continue touse the remote but i figured it was enabled on the menu so we could search without the remote somehow. it seems silly to open the search dialog with a front panel button only to continue the process using the remote to find a song/playlist.

as i'm typing this, the "(new users: Please READ THE FAQ before posting" is heckling me...
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Search without a remote? - 02/10/2002 21:22

The left and right front panel buttons will scroll through the search list. So in theory, if you could make a search come up on the front panel (would have to be able to press the search button more than once), you could select a title or an artist or whatever just by pressing the left and right front panel buttons enough times.

But that's really less efficient than just having well-organized playlists and scrolling through those. At least with the playlists, you can use the knob to speed-scroll if you want. Without the alphanumeric features of the remote control, scrolling through the search screen would require hundreds of button presses instead of just a few. Heck, I can find most tunes much faster by scrolling through my playlists than I can with the search function even when I have the remote.

That's why this FAQ entry says "Alphanumeric searches (by artist, by title, etc.) Front Panel: No Remote: Yes."

Re: Search without a remote? - 02/10/2002 22:39

i agree 100% but i just thought perhaps everyone here knew something i didn't :P like i said, it's available in the menu so i just had to know
Posted by: MHC

Re: Search without a remote? - 02/10/2002 23:47

The FAQ Master.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Search without a remote? - 02/10/2002 23:52

And just think, if you wanted, you could go back in time and prevent me from even buying an empeg...
Posted by: svferris

Re: Search without a remote? - 03/10/2002 00:27

Heh...the Back to the Future references never end...
Posted by: tms13

Re: Search without a remote? - 03/10/2002 09:44

Will Hijack let you do "Search by Title" (== long press of search)? I've never played with popup menus, so this is a stab in the dark...

Re: Search without a remote? - 03/10/2002 10:17

i dunno since it's mapped to the knob right now and a long press will open the hijack menu. when i got the player inside i'll try it on the bottom button
Posted by: tms13

Re: Search without a remote? - 03/10/2002 10:36

What I meant was using something like "Search.L" on the right-hand-side.

Something like

[ir_translate]
PopUp0=Shuffle,Info,Mark,Search.L

The Hijack site says that

Items on a PopUp menu must are never translated, which means they are restricted to sending a single button code at a time. While it might be useful sometimes to have a menu item send multiple button codes, this was not possible to implement in any reasonable fashion inside Hijack, so it ain't there.

I wonder if this applies to the .L modifier, too?

Perhaps it would be an idea to take this up in the Programming forum...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Search without a remote? - 05/10/2002 02:33

I was wondering about this, too. My battery died on my remote and all the convenience stores have been closed from hurricane Lilly. But I'll be able to get a new one tommorow.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Search without a remote? - 05/10/2002 05:37

I don't remember whether .L works or not from a Popup, but.. the same result is possible simply by holding the knob longer when selecting any action from a PopUp. Eg. when using "Info" from a PopUp, one can press and hold to get "Detail" instead of Info. So a longpress of Search is certainly easy enough to achieve in the same fashion.

Cheers