any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendations?

Posted by: ajayrockrock

any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendations? - 05/12/2002 10:25

I just started a new job (whoo-hoo!!) and the switch at my job is a crappy D-Link which the Empeg doesn't play nice with when I'm trying to stream music. So can anyone recommend a small 4-port hub/switch that will work well with the empeg?

thanks,
ajay
Posted by: genixia

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 05/12/2002 10:40

4-8 port 100baseTX switches have become commodity-cheap in the past couple of years.

Bear in mind that the empeg only has 10baseT ethernet capabilities - any 100baseTX hub or switch should be more than capable.
That being said, I retired a DLink switch because of general flakiness, it would sometimes just cut out completely. I replaced it with a Netgear, which appears to be very solid, both physically and performance-wise. (Runs warm though - needs space/ventilation)

Posted by: leftyfb

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 05/12/2002 13:57

I second the flakyness of the Dlinks and also recommending netgear. My entire home network is built on netgear products, both wired switches/hubs/nics and wireless AP/usb nics/pcmcia nics.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 05/12/2002 16:50

Yeah, netgear all the way. Dlink and Linksys both suck. I've said it before but wall mountable Real Metal Cases are where it's at. I spent an entire day analyzing a small office network only to find that the brand new linksys 8 port switch just didn't work and brought traffic to a crawl. Now, that'd be fine, as long as the replacement linksys had worked, but it didn't.

Matthew
Posted by: DeadFire

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendations? - 05/12/2002 17:06

I agree with the general consensus. I run NetGear nics and a NetGear hub at home; never had a problem with ethernet connections.
Posted by: tman

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendations? - 05/12/2002 17:35

I agree with the much better build quality and just general feel of Netgear equipment. But also, I've got a Linksys 10/100 switch (EZXS55W) that has been working perfectly for the last couple of years. No problems with the empeg as well.

- Trevor

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 05/12/2002 23:58

Okay, so I'm going to go with netgear. Anyone want to share specific model numbers so that I can pricewatch them? I'm only being so specific because I don't want to spend any money on a netgear that hasn't been tested with an empeg.

thanks,
ajay
Posted by: robricc

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 06/12/2002 00:22

I had a DS104 with an empeg once, but it really doesn't matter which model you get. Netgear is definitely one of the best "cheap" brands.
Posted by: Roger

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 06/12/2002 02:50

I use an FS108 with my empeg at home. At empeg Towers, we have a mixture of FS108s and DS108s.

Like everybody says, get a DS104. It should work just fine.

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 07/12/2002 10:53

Thanks everyone for the help. I just ordered a Netgear DS108 for 45 bucks. Finally I'll be able to use my empeg at work... whee!!

later,
ajay
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 09/12/2002 12:48

IMHO, Netgear isn't a cheap brand. It was the first mid-range brand. Keep in mind that it's really the consumer division of Bay Networks (which was purchased a few years ago by Nortel), which makes real enterprise level switches and routers.
Posted by: robricc

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 09/12/2002 13:40

IMHO, there are only two levels of consumer networking products.... low end and higher end. The low end is home to D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, and some SMC. On the higher end is 3Com, Intel, and some SMC.

A product's placement in my "low" or "higher" category is not based on pricing alone. Although it is a factor, my personal experience with the brand is far more important. For example, I rate D-Link very low because I had an expensive item that died. So, even their "expensive for them" products aren't made right.

When I buy stuff, I usually get Netgear or SMC because I like to not pay too much. D-Link is winning back my trust with their 802.11a gear. Their AP and PCI card have been working great for me. Linksys is probably last on the list now.

Re: any good cheap empeg-friendly HUB recommendati - 10/12/2002 03:44

It's weird how networking gear is so different for different people. Example, the reason this thread started is because of a stupid Dlink hub/switch at my job, so my opinion of Dlink has been lowered. And my home cable-modem-router thing is a Linksys which has been working without problems (including with my empeg) for the last year. So IMO, Linksys is better then Dlink.

later,
ajay