Connecting to another radio?

Posted by: 94cobra

Connecting to another radio? - 30/09/1999 21:52

This thing has a serial port. Would it be possible to use this as an addon device for another head unit that I already have. If so would custom control be possible (with software) from the main head unit. I have and Alpine CVA-1005. Would it be possible with the current hardware(if you had the right software) to interface with the ai-net? I realize this ain't a high priority but would like to know if possible at all. Also is there a video out source of any kind. If this unit can be changed in the future to accomodate any encoding that may come along, why can't it also play mpeg movies?

Posted by: altman

Re: Connecting to another radio? - 01/10/1999 09:14

AI-Net is proprietary, and it's unlikely to be standard RS232 so no, the current hardware couldn't talk to it. However, it's very likely that a converter could be made given enough coffee & a logic analyser - but it'd be underselling the empeg a bit hiding it away ;)

It can't play MPEG movies as there's no video out and the display isn't really up to playing movies :) (CPU power might be an issue too - you could probably get MPEG1 but that's it).

Hugo

Posted by: TommyE

Re: Connecting to another radio? - 05/10/1999 09:55

I've though about the same thing myself, but for the SONY UniLink though.
Take at look at www.eriksen.no. I've put the SONY info I have there.

Tommy